Forum Index > Trail Talk > Airplane Lake?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 2:26 pm 
Is there a fisherman's trail to Airplane lake?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:02 pm 
Not that I've heard of. Pipe in everyone else! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:17 pm 
There has got to be something in there. Because here is a trip report somebody sent me... My non WACer buddy Tom and I climbed Saul (7300+) and Indian Head (7400+) over the weekend of the 14th and 15th. The summits constitute the eastern and western high points of the ridge that separates the White from the Indian River. We sauntered up the White River and then headed into the Indian River valley, arriving at the junction to Airplane Lake in about two hours. The trail to the lake is direct, and marked with ribbons and paint marks galore. Camp was at the lake and included an evening of observing swallows, bats and a bear who lazily crossed the slope above us. Next day we left camp at the crack of 10 and headed up Saul through delightful small hanging valleys and a few brave snowfields. Saul is not an often climbed summit, the register book in old style brass register hails from 1984, a long time...

Art is an adventure.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:35 pm 
What's up with the paint? How can somebody have a desire to go to such a place, yet be so moronic as to paint the way?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:40 pm 
Come on Thomas. Generally speaking human beings are STUPID! Why do you think I find bloody engineer tape all over the place, when you could follow the trail in the dark without a flashlight?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! Comon sence AINT so comon it seems! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:55 pm 
I did a hike with "Sawyer" last summer climbing Mt. Saul by way of Airplane Lake. It is a trail made for drunk fishermen with more ribbons than a road construction project. The trail starts right at a campsite which contains a firepit off of Indian Creek trail. A more complete writeup and description can be found with wta.org under Mt. Saul.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:55 pm 
BPJ, I can kinda understand engineer tape - fairly easily removed. Paint is a different story though.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 5:17 pm 
yup, there's a way trail. Don't sweat the flagging, it'll all be gone by the end of July... biggrin.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 8:16 pm 
I was just talking about Airplane Lake with MounTAIN woman the other day while they showed me their incredible slides from last year. Their party bushwacked to Mt Saul. Yikes, that is the hard way. Amazing to see their names in the summit register on several peaks -- often just before I was there. (I think it's a communist conspiracy.) Anyway, it was a superb trip up Mt Saul with Mr. Collins, a delightful and interesting person to travel with.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 9:32 am 
Sawyer, you flatter me! If I remember, you had some nice shots yourself! Yes, we took the hard way. When we did Saul in 1999, the trail was certainly not obvious, painted, or flagged. Although Mike T wrote later on the old TT that the trail was there and flagged, I believe. Regardless, if you end up not finding it, it isn't impossible to bushwhack, just unpleasant. I will second that it is a very nice lake, and the climb of Saul is quite pleasant. You will love that summit rock, if it is still there! wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster