Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dege Peak, MRNP, 7/02/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 4:34 pm 
Yesterday I peeled out of the house all raring to go hiking, then when I got to Enumclaw I looked at the black clouds hanging over the foothills. YUCK. So like a big ol' baby I ran home lol.gif So today I decided to try again-and got perfect weather! Went up to Sunrise Point-I had tried to do Dege Peak from Sunrise last friday but the snow was still too heavy-I had made it within a 1/2 mile of the turnoff. Well, today-what a difference: the snow is almost gone from Sunrise-we walked on only a couple fields and they were very tiny. I had an enjoyable morning/afternoon with Ford. This was his 27th summit/pass and his highest of 7,008 ft. Somedays are made for long hikes, some for strolling up a long ridge, and seeing all the way from Baker to Adams. We saw many Hoary Marmots and a ton of fat chipmunks. Had a gourmet lunch on the summit and called it a day. Life was good! biggrin.gif PS: wildflowers are just popping up at the 6500ft level and above in Rainer.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 6:58 pm 
Sarbar, I love the picture Sarbar! You and Ford are an awesome team!! You are doing a fine job raising your son as a hiker! biggrin.gif WB

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 7:08 pm 
Great photo and great peak to go up! Boy, that photo brings back memories to me...those rocks on the summit...last August...when I hiked up there on a warm afternoon after doing Palisaides Lakes/Slide Mountain, I was almost killed by the most thick cloud of biting flies I've ever encountered! I wasn't on the top for more than 3 minutes and left with blood going down my legs from bites! Glad you faired so much better off! up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 7:48 pm 
Thanks guys! Yeah-the flies were just starting to come out, I'll bet in a month they will be horrendous!! BTW: Sunshine Lake is about a 1/4 melted. Clover Lake is about 95% melted-the snow down below in the meadow/basin is melting fast-I'd say it was 1/2 of what it was last friday. I am hoping to do Pallisade Lakes next week smile.gif

Larry

Larry
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:03 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Thanks guys! Yeah-the flies were just starting to come out, I'll bet in a month they will be horrendous!! BTW: Sunshine Lake is about a 1/4 melted. Clover Lake is about 95% melted-the snow down below in the meadow/basin is melting fast-I'd say it was 1/2 of what it was last friday. I am hoping to do Pallisade Lakes next week smile.gif
Sarbar: If you go in to Palisade, be sure to climb Brown Peak and then look into seldom-visited Bear Park...probably snowy in Bear Park now of course, but it's an awesome basin for wildflowers, and somewhat "off the path" for isolation and lonely beauty, especially in early August when the flowers go nuts in there. In my mind, Bear Park is as lovely as Berkeley Park, but a little more intimate and a smaller basin. Truly a gem. Oh...don't forget Hidden Lake, a short side-trip off the trail. Also...just beyond the pass above Clover Lake, the high country "on the right" of the trail is fabulous wandering, all through White River Park.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:07 pm 
I will! Thank you for the tip smile.gif I appreciate any suggestions for MRNP-I am new to hiking in Rainer and am somewhat clueless still......

Larry

Larry
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:14 pm 
sarbar wrote:
I will! Thank you for the tip smile.gif I appreciate any suggestions for MRNP-I am new to hiking in Rainer and am somewhat clueless still......
Actually, that whole area is to-die-for. It's not the Wonderland Trail, so that makes a big difference for amount of people. Fawn Ridge and Slide Mountain, on the northeastern border of the park are also "sleepers". Approach is from Sun Top. I go in there every few years, and never see anyone in there. Beautiful meadowed ridges. Burnt Park and Green Park....somewhat inaccessible, although you can grind up the headwall above Hidden Lake to traverse into Green Park, and can work your way into Burnt Park from there. Alternatively, you can access Burnt Park via the Huckleberry Creek trail and then some bushwacking. These places absolutely stunned me with their beauty.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:22 pm 
Before I moved to South King County I had only been to MRNP (good 'ol Paradise of course!) one time, as a child. Since the snows have been melting I have been up 6 times lol.gif If I like it, I keep coming back.....I have totally fallen for the WhiteRiver/Sunrise side. I wasn't as thrilled by Carbon River, not sure why-probably because I truly love being up high more. What is so sweet is I am less than an hour drive away from the entrance to White River smile.gif

Larry

Larry
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:26 pm 
Sarb: Yeah, the Sunrise side has an appeal all its own. You have, of course, been to Grand Park? With the snows melting rapidly now, you are experiencing the thrill of discovery that always grabs me this time of year. The renewal, and the "greening" of the meadows is so nice. It's like a carpet that keeps growing, and soon will be dotted with color. Don't give up completely on Carbon River, though. The highlands above the Carbon Glacier are wonderful (Moraine Park and Elysian Fields are stunningly beautiful). Mist Park and Seattle Park are also just great.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:30 pm 
Big question!! When you are on Dege Peak looking down the Sourdough Trail towards Sunrise Lodge and you then look to your right-is that long platuea of greenness and tiny subalpine trees Grand Park?? I can post another photo (one that shows it) if needed. It was very pretty looking, whatever I was looking at! So, yes, Grand Park is up for next week hopefully lol.gif God, I love being unemployed in the summer!!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:33 pm 
Ok, here is the photo-I am intrested in that long stretch of green near Ford's head.

Larry

Larry
sarbar wrote:
Big question!! When you are on Dege Peak looking down the Sourdough Trail towards Sunrise Lodge and you then look to your right-is that long platuea of greenness and tiny subalpine trees Grand Park?? I can post another photo (one that shows it) if needed. It was very pretty looking, whatever I was looking at! So, yes, Grand Park is up for next week hopefully lol.gif God, I love being unemployed in the summer!!
That IS Grand Park! A two mile long, one mile wide plateau! An unbelievable place. You are VERY lucky, Sarb. Living an hour from White River is truly fortuitous...you have a HUGE playground in your back yard. So...the snow is off of Grand Park now? Did you say it was mostly green now?

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
Sarbar, have you forgone the beautiful Olympics, the Motherland of hiking, where you cut your teeth on nature? hockeygrin.gif The dark side (Cascades) are a powerful force, I know. The grass isn't always greener as they say..... or is it????

God, I am going to regret this someday!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:35 pm 
No, I graced the Eastern Olympics with my presence 3 weeks ago lol.gif Just now I am 3 hours away from the Olympics eek.gif So Rainer calls me biggrin.gif And yes, Grand Park is snow free!

Larry

Larry
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 8:41 pm 
Hoosier: No one could forsake the Olympics...no one. I agree with you completely! Sarbar: It is time....it is time....once Grand Park turns green, the flowers come up unbelievably fast. Grand Park is an absolute requirement. Do you know the back way to Grand Park via Lake Ellinor, Sarbar? It will save you from slogging through snow in Berkely Park, and shortens the trip considerably...not to mention that the route via Lake Ellinor is a beautiful mix of forest/subalpine meadows/alpine meadows.