Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Lake, ALW, 7-4-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Jul 04, 2003 9:19 pm 
Is there anything more patriotic than hiking to Snow Lake on the 4th? I got to the trailhead at 1:00. Several people were coming down, but few were going up at this time. The crowds were nowhere near what I expected to see on the 4th, though. The only wildlife I saw was a Pika and a few ants. The lake is essentially thawed, and the trail is snow free with the exception of a few small patches. I had lunch at Lunch Rock, and ate a few carrots in case I needed to hike out in the dark. I continued on to Gem Lake which is still about 2/3 slush covered but that ought to disappear quickly. I only ran into 2 people at Gem Lake. I went to the top of the small hill on the south side of the lake which gives good views to Melawkwa Pass. On the way back I lounged on a few logs floating on the surface of the water just below the foot bridge and observed some clouds. I am 15 credits short of my B.S. in Clouds. The clouds were doing strange things. Instead of just drifting by they were revolving like a cilynder (cylinder?) and changing from cumulo nimbus to whispy werfus--pretty interesting actually. To the casual observer, it looked like a ballet in the sky, but to me, it looked like a few more credits. When I got back to the parking lot I talked a bit with 3 guys from Turkey that had hiked to the lake. I was looking forward to hitting Scott's Dairy Freeze in N. Bend on the way back. When I drove through town, I noticed the blinds were shut and it was dark inside. There is such a thing as too much solitude--it was closed for the 4th doh.gif Can't believe I managed to squeeze this report into 1 paragraph. up.gif Happy 4th to all.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 04, 2003 9:38 pm 
Thanks smile.gif I was hoping to go up this week!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 05, 2003 9:51 am 
Way to go P-bear. If you ever get the gump-tion, go beyond Gem and checkout the Wildcats, Caroline, trek down to Hatchet and over to Derrick. Then of course there are the lakes above Derrick........ TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Jul 12, 2003 2:34 pm 
Here are a few photos from the hike.
trail
trail
cliffs and falls
cliffs and falls
trail up from middle fork
trail up from middle fork
Gem Lake, Wright Pk
Gem Lake, Wright Pk

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 12, 2003 10:20 pm 
Polarbear, enough of these Snow Lake trip reports. biggrin.gif I'd like to extend you the same offer Randy made in the Delta Lake thread. $10 if you ever make it to Upper Wildcat. We need to get you in shape for SCL. embarassedlaugh.gif

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 3:50 pm 
If I didn't do trip reports on Snow Lake, nobody would know it's there. I am the only one who has ever done a trip report on it. Each year, less and less people go there and there are fewer dogs as well. I am trying to reverse that trend. I am always in shape for SCL. It is more mental than physical.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster