Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eagle Lake (7/2 - 7/3/03)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 7:17 pm 
Headed up to Eagle Lake earlier this week with my two teenage nephews. One of the boys has a back problem so we were looking for an easy campfire hike with minimal elevation gain and this one fit the bill. Took the shortcut as noted in the 100 hikes book. Nice easy trail, although a little brushy in the beginning (albeit a cakewalk by bushwhacking standards) and a bit longer than the "half hour" the 100 hikes book suggests. The meadows are quite soggy and guaranteed to soak a boot or two in mud if you're not careful. Limited camps at the lake but a nice cabin. The few bugs were kept at bay by a nice breeze and the smoke from our campfire. Forgot to bring marshmallows to roast but fortunately had packed a few circus peanuts that worked even better. Brought a fishing pole and caught a trout that was quite tasty. Think I might be tempted to bring one along on future hikes. paranoid.gif Stopped by Stone Lake on the way back. Nothing to write home about but there is a nice viewpoint of Baring Mtn just above Stone Lake that's worth a visit. Oh yeah, took a few pictures too. Enjoy.
Eagle Lake From Outlet
Eagle Lake From Outlet
Cabin at Eagle Lake
Cabin at Eagle Lake
Mark And Andy At Eagle Lake Cabin
Mark And Andy At Eagle Lake Cabin
Eagle Lake From Cabin
Eagle Lake From Cabin
Dawn At Eagle Lake
Dawn At Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak Hidden In Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak Hidden In Eagle Lake
Morning At Eagle Lake (Blended Exposure)
Morning At Eagle Lake (Blended Exposure)
Morning Fog On Eagle Lake
Morning Fog On Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak Reflected in Foggy Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak Reflected in Foggy Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak From Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak From Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak Reflected In Eagle Lake
Merchant Peak Reflected In Eagle Lake
Andy And Mark At Eagle Lake Cabin
Andy And Mark At Eagle Lake Cabin
Eagle Lake Cabin
Eagle Lake Cabin
Merchant Peak From Eagle Lake Cabin
Merchant Peak From Eagle Lake Cabin
Logs On Eagle Lake
Logs On Eagle Lake
Andy And Mark Navigating Thru Soggy Paraidise Meadows
Andy And Mark Navigating Thru Soggy Paraidise Meadows
Townsend Mtn From Paradise Meadows
Townsend Mtn From Paradise Meadows
Stone Lake And Northwest Ridge Of Townsend Mtn
Stone Lake And Northwest Ridge Of Townsend Mtn
Baring Mtn From Viewpoint Above Stone Lake
Baring Mtn From Viewpoint Above Stone Lake
Mt Index From Viewpoint Above Stone Lake
Mt Index From Viewpoint Above Stone Lake
Mt Daniel And Hinman From Logging Road Clearing
Mt Daniel And Hinman From Logging Road Clearing

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 8:15 pm 
Hey Tom:Knockout pictures as usual. Pic #19 of Baring is outstanding as are the pics with the mist. You've got a great eye. Kudos for taking your two neph's with you, I salute you for being a good uncle. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
pappy-

pappy-
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 8:25 pm 
show off. winksmile.gif and you let the nephews use your poles. what a guy. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 10:14 pm 
Tom, Nice to see you again, great pic of Eagle Lake, hope you have a good trip. Ice girl

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 10:25 pm 
I knew this trip would meet with good luck when I bumped into the elusive Ice Girl at the Monroe Safeway while picking up some last minute items. cool.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 10:26 pm 
I student taught at Everett High School in the 1970's, one of the other teachers owned that cabin, your pic's bring back a lot of memories.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 11:03 pm 
It's a really nice cabin and I was wondering how the heck they got it up there. I suppose some of the building materials (logs) could have come from the surroundings but not the iron stove, etc. Was it choppered in before the wilderness act? Or is Eagle Lake outside of wilderness boundaries?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 07, 2003 12:43 am 
Another great job Thomas! It would be nice to know the details of that cabin! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 07, 2003 2:46 am 
The cabin was built in the late 20's or early thirties, it's on a patented mining claim and is still privately owned. It was built mostly from local materials except for finished pieces, stove, and other stuff which was packed in. I got to spend an afternoon hanging out with someone staying there, it's pretty cozy inside. They have a really cool diary that has been there since the first days, where years of entries describe daily life, a garden for fresh produce, big excitement the day the FS hauled in the fish (40's?), and the wonder of trying to see this thing called Sputnik they've heard about in the night sky.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 12:58 pm 
#6 is my fave, with the fog-shrouded lake and the peak-a-views of the sun-drenched spire between the logs.... Nice job with photos and uncledom Tom.... and you brought a rod...and caught a fish..maybe there's hope.

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 1:48 pm 
I think the cabin was built by Mr Stone. By the early eighties it was owned by Bill McKinzie. I've heard the cabin is now Forest Service property. Supposedly, the previous owners had it there on a permit basis and it reverted to the FS when they died. Or something along those lines. The FS are considering having it listed as an historic building. It is not in wilderness, but it is in the boundaries of the proposed Wild Sky Wilderness.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 2:39 pm 
We were wondering why the small lake above the meadow was named Stone Lake. There was a bit of talus on one side but it didn't seem dominant enough to give the lake its name. Now it makes sense.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Jan 02, 2004 2:05 pm 
I just ran across some additional information on this cabin in the 1949 Trail Blazer Annual Report. It says: "An explanation would be in order in reference to the cabins at Barclay and Eagle. Ole Stone of Halford on the Sky has made it his hobby and sole interest to build a large cabin at the inlet at Barclay and a small two or three man one-room cabin at the outlet end. He "has also erected a cabin at Eagle for his own use and his friends. The lower cabins have been turned over to the Forest Service as was the original idea. Stone maintains the trails in apple-pie order and also the cabins, replacing needed supplies out of his own pocket. Mr. Stone is 78 this year."

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch