Forum Index > Trip Reports > Naches Peak Loop 7/07/2003
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 07, 2003 5:34 pm 
Ford and me headed up early to MRNP via Hwy 410 this morning to do the loop hike. After getting all hepped up on caffiene in Enumclaw I was ready to go. We parked at Lowe Tipsoo Lake, prodded through the snow until I figured out where the trail was...that took a little time lol.gif Once I found it we breezed uphill to the bridge crossing over 410-that bridge is SO cool! Then we got on the PCT and started up.......and proceded to hike through snow till we hit the crest of the trail. Fortunley the snow was pretty good to hike on. That little lake is SO pretty. When we hit the crest of course the snow disapeared. Dewey Lakes are thawed out nicely. We had lunch on a rocky knoll a little past the trail junction with a view of them and Rainer. It was perfect. We headed down and hit snow again the last 1/2 mile where I got mucho amusement out of the tourists in capri pants and hiking pants in the snow-they didn't last long lol.gif Was an awesome day, with really pretty weather. Give the MRNP side of the trail another week and it will be all melted out-the flowers are just coming up and out. I'd give the PCT section at least 2 weeks. 4 out of 5 miles were on snow today-a very good workout biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostMon Jul 07, 2003 8:49 pm 
Nice report and the photos too
Sarbar, That's a good write-up and I liked the photos too. We seem to be on the same page -- I was thinking of heading up to Naches Loop this week but will put it off a week now. I'd really like to catch those flowers at their peak. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 07, 2003 8:53 pm 
It was YOUR article in the archives of the P-I that lured me into doing it biggrin.gif Wanted to say thank you, and we had a blast smile.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 8:42 am 
I'll second Karen's sentiments, this is a nice hike anytime but if 4 out of 5 miles were snow covered then you really must revisit this hike again sarbar sometime after it is melted out for all of the wildflowers which are the best feature of this hike IMO.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 9:02 am 
You mean all that white goodness which gave me my 10th or so sunburn wasn't enough? hihi.gif The wildflowers on the part of the Naches Trail near the junction of the PCT/Dewey Lakes were fabulous! I can bet the rest of the trail is very pretty after the snow goes smile.gif