Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fishing store? - Fishing store?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 11:34 am 
I want to buy a fishing vest. Where would you fishing dudes recommend I go to buy the lightest quality fishing vest with pockets only on the front in the Puget Sound Region. Ecommerce sites okay too.

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:04 pm 
Stefan, I would stay away from the generic Big 5, K-Mart, and chain store types of vests, but by the same token you don't need to run over to the Bellevue Orvis store, either. Outdoor Emporium seems to have the best prices on quality Columbia and other brands of fishing vests. If you buy on the net you can get some pretty good deals. For my money, Cabelas probably has the best stuff, and they have the best return policy I've used. They make a nice light mesh vest I'm thinking about myself. Another thing you might want to look at is the "tackle pack" they have for somthing like $49.95. It's an alternative to the vest in that you have a front chest pack that folds down and provides plenty of pockets and room for your gear. The pack in back has water bottle holders and more storage, and straps to tie a rolled up rainjacket on the back. I've shyed away from these tacklepacks so far, but this one makes a lot of sense and the price is decent. Good luck. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:05 pm 
Are you using the vest for backpack fishing? I will assume so, and if so a vest is nice but the only reason to have one is so you can carry LOTS of stuff. They make some 'shorties' that are made of mesh and I would have to recommend that style for backpacking. I personally use a small fanny pack since the gear needed for fishing most mountain lakes is minimal and requires little space. Some Fly guys (like me) just like the vest, grew up wearing it but after you cram everything you can into it, it can weigh a pound or two. The most helpful guys I know are at Kaufmann's Steamborn in Bellevue, or the new Avid Angler in Lake forest park, I think REI has some Fly gear as well. Oh and the Orvis store in Bellevue, but if price is important Cabela's (Walmart real cheap stuff) can have things on sale at times. I fish with spinners and flies both and I carry very few boxes (foam very light) a few spools of tippet material and hemostats, Oh and of course my license smile.gif all of which fit easy into a small fanny pack, or lighter yet a small stuff sack.

salish

salish
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:10 pm 
Jonathon, I've never carried my vest on a backpack trip, but years ago I started wearing one of those Vietnam era camo army shirts with all the pockets, and I could keep my different fly boxes and gear in each pocket. Now, I've finally managed to get all my flies and spinners/spoons into one fairly small box, which I keep in small fanny pouch, like you. I can't believe I'm able to manage with just that small selection of flies and gear - it was a major coup. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:27 pm 
Hydroseal Pack Pockets made by OR is what I use to keep my fishing gear in while backpacking, I got it a Marmot a few years ago. I had to go downstarts and weigh it, empty it's only 3.2 ounces. The vest I use is by Columbia Sportswear PFG and I'm not sure if they still make it but it is short and mesh and has a nice neoprene yoke that helps spread the weight of junk in it. I love this vest when Fly fishing but I just weighed it empty, 14.2 oz, Yikes!!! I can't find anyone on-line that sells it right now I think I got it at the sportsman show 3-4 years ago. I will keep looking later, if I find someone selling it I'll let you know.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:28 pm 
Actually, I have decided to try out one of those vests for when I am climbing. I want the vest to hold all the small stuff instead of me having to find the stuff in my pack. A vest allows me to NOT have to take off my pack. The vest would replace a tshirt. For example I want the vest to hold sunglasses, sunscreen, map, knife, a lighter, candy bars, etc.

Art is an adventure.
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:42 pm 
Salish I go through my fishing gear every year to replace old line and refresh my tipet spools. Then I go through my boxes and remove things that did not get used or did not catch fish. Many year of doing this has produced a small selection of proven 'go to' lures that I can trust. As for flies there are few insect you need to be ready for in high lake because the population up there is small. Mostly Midges, Caddis, and a few Mayflys if your lucky. I do carry a few dredgers to go after bigger fish but only a couple.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:47 pm 
I just cram everything I need into a small stuff bag that came with a pair of ski goggles, and hang it from my shoulder with a short loop of cord. That's two reels, extra leaders, tippet spools, floatant, flybox, needlenose, hook sharpener, and that's about it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:55 pm 
I thought we had a convert here smile.gif I would recommend the Columbia Sportswear again but the PFG shirt instead. (Performance fishing gear) It is made of Nylon and if you’re not hiking in nylon yet you should be, but anyway, it has very nice big billowed pockets for fishing type stuff and could work better than a vest??? I use the Hydroseal Pack Pockets for camera, map, compass, and altemeter, as well. It has stiffened velcro for attaching to the sternum strap on your pack, if you were climbing with your pack on this could work as well.

salish

salish
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 1:01 pm 
Stefan, If that's all you need, you may want to consider looking at the "wet rib" from Dana Designs. I use one for all my backpacking and can fit everything I need in it, including maps, compass, candy bars, sunglasses, suncreen etc. It's simply a black bag that attaches from one shoulder strap to the other, and it stays out of the way yet everything is convenient. I have the medium size and when it's attached it covers the mid section of my right rib cage out to my belly, and it hangs close to the body (unless you overload it). In addition to the pocket, it also has a water bottle sleeve and water bottle. Since I use a playpus in my pack I canned the water bottle and I use it for stowing more stuff, like my small camera and knife. These are kind of pricey at $29.99, but I'm really glad I bought it. Cliff

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 9:10 am 
Thanks guys for the info! I will let you know what I get. That Dana Designs thing sounds interesting. However, I need something that I can also climb with without carring a backpack. Thanks for the suggestion! smile.gif

Art is an adventure.