Forum Index > Trail Talk > South Sisters - south slope
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostWed Mar 06, 2002 1:53 pm 
Has anyone here been up the south slope of the South Sisters mountain, near Sisters, Or.? I'll be renting a USFS lookout near Sisters in late June and I thought it might be fun to tackle this. My understanding is that the south slope to South Sisters is a non technical climb. Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Mar 06, 2002 3:14 pm 
I think the south slope was the way I went--and yes it was easy. I went up in tennis shoes when I was a teenager. I think it is by some lakes but the name of the lakes elude me. Green Lakes? Expect snow in late June.

Art is an adventure.
salish

salish
PostWed Mar 06, 2002 8:40 pm 
Thanks Stefan. It's going to be fun. Appreciate your help. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 11:36 am 
Yes, it's a "walk-up". Great destination, especially if you turn it into a backpack and camp at Green Lakes. I know there's a shorter way in (than Green Lakes) but I don't remember the details -- it's been a while. There was nothing technically difficult about the route -- just a lot of elevation gain.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
salish

salish
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 12:33 pm 
Thanks Karen. I had been thinking only in terms of a long day hike, but if camping at Green Lakes is nice maybe we'll do just that. Appreciate it. Cliff

SteveF

SteveF
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 10:36 pm 
Hey Salish, here's a photo of our trip in '83. The slide was processed September so probably the trip was August???
83SouthSister
83SouthSister

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 10:30 am 
Thanks SteveF, that's just an awsome photo. This will be the second year that I rent a USFS lookout tower above the Metolius River, just a few miles north of Sisters. I've looked at that south Sisters through the spotting scopes and binoculars and it looks so nice. Thanks for providing such a nice close up! Cliff

SteveF

SteveF
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 12:56 pm 
Hey Salish, I debated sending in another photo from the top. But then I decided I didn't want to spoil your fun. Let's just say it's very impressive! What I recall from the climb (done before I knew squiddly.dot about mountain travel) was the arduousness of the cinder-scree. One step forward, 2/3 slide backward. But the route down was a piece of fluff. It is class 1 the whole way. We did it in all cotton as you can see from the photo. Suggest gaitors to keep scree out of socks. Let me know if you want the photo from the top. Slide scans R us.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 3:20 pm 
SteveF, Thanks for the offer. That's a nice thought, but like you I think I would rather see it for myself. I appreciate the offer just the same, and thanks for the tip on the gaiters. The scree field sounds like an sob, by the way. Thanks for the warning. Cliff

kokostik

kokostik
PostSun Mar 17, 2002 6:29 pm 
South Sister is a great one to go for. It's a bit much to do in a single day from a trailhead, but it is doable. My wife and I did it in a day (about 11 miles round trip) a few years ago by hiking in from the Devil's Lake Trailhead (see link below). We started before daylight, followed the trail due north from the trailhead up around the west side of Devil's Hill, then straight north along a nice broad open ridgeline west of Moraine Lake. There we joined the rest of the throng heading up the south face, like so many other "ants" moving in a line up the slope. Like SteveF mentioned, the scree can be frustrating and if the winds are cranking from the southwest, you'll get sandbasted too. Have fun.... and post any pics if you take some. Devil's lake access to S Sister

Never cut what you can untie. -Joubert (1754-1824)
salish

salish
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 10:56 am 
Thanks Kokostik - that's just the info I'm looking for. It was very helpful especially the map. Thanks again. Cliff

Stymee
mofo

Stymee
mofo
PostSat Mar 23, 2002 2:14 am 
How does one go about renting a USFS tower?? I didn't even know that was possible. Thanx

salish

salish
PostSat Mar 23, 2002 10:17 am 
Stymee - I'm in Seattle, but my friends and I found a lot more lookout rentals in Oregon. Here's a link to the Nature of The Northwest web page, that shows the USFS lookout I rent http://www.naturenw.org/cab-deschutes.htm This one (Greenridge lookout) is a drive-to lookout that's situated 500' above the Metolius River, about 23 miles north of Sisters, OR. There's a panoramic view from north to south of all the Cascades. There are several other rentals in different areas of Oregon - just search around the web page. Contact me via email if you need phone numbers or any other info. This photo shows a partial shot of the inside of the lookout and Mt. Jefferson in the distance. Cliff

hotfoot1951

hotfoot1951
PostSat Mar 23, 2002 8:52 pm 
Hi Salish, I agree with Kokostick. I've taken that same route 3 or 4 times as a day hike. It's a beautiful hike and requires no technical skills but I wouldn't plan on any hard walking the next day! George I think we need a sweating smiley face.