Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chelan Lakeshore Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Curt

Curt
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 8:39 am 
Anyone hike the Chelan Lakeshore Trail in March? I know it's typically one of the first trails in the area to open up, and by May it's usually pretty damn hot, but I'm wondering how early you can get in there. I don't mind snow patches, but I would mind avalanches coming down on my head. Looking for any experience with this trail or info on spring conditions. I'd like to go the last week of March. Thanks much, -Curt

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Mar 22, 2002 10:35 am 
Saw this yesterday in the Seattle P-I: Chelan trail in doubt The Chelan Lakeshore Trail along the uninhabited and wild north shore of the 55-mile lake -- known as one of Washington's premier spring hikes -- might not open this year because of damage from last summer's Rex Creek wildfire. Standing dead and burned trees along the 18-mile trail, along with the lake's frequent windy spring weather, pose some danger to hikers and campers, so Wenatchee National Forest officials are keeping it closed. They also are worried about possible debris slides caused by spring runoff. Also closed indefinitely are the Fish Creek and Prince Creek trails, which intersect with the Lakeshore Trail. The 55,000-acre fire burned areas along 34 miles of Lake Chelan, but the scenic values of the trail remain mostly intact, said Rick Acosta, a recreation official at the Chelan ranger station. Forest Service trail crews have already removed downed trees from the trail, and will go back to assess the situation this summer to determine if the trails can be opened later this year. The Lakeshore Trail usually is snow-free by May and offers fine hiking while other wilderness trails remain snowed in. The closure will be a big loss to hikers this year especially since the winter snowpack is well above average and thus high trails will likely be opening late. That's a bummer! :angry:

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message