Forum Index > Photography Talk > Using filters with Digital
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigSac

BigSac
PostSat Jul 12, 2003 9:36 pm 
Hey Tom, when I was doing mostly film I used to love using a polarizing filter with Velvia to get that real saturated look. Unfortunately my digicam(S-45) doesn't have filter threads. Can I simply hold my polarizing filter in front of my digicam somehow to get that saturated look or would it be better to use the in-camera enhancing feature or do it in the computer after downloading? I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 on a PC.

Go Kings!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 12, 2003 10:07 pm 
I've heard of others holding a polarizer in front of the lens with some luck but it's a hassle. I'd recommend an adapter which will let you attach a polarizer, macro filter, etc. There is an inexpensive adapter for the S30/S40/S45/S50. Go to www.henrys.ca and search for 595CAN006. Here is a picture:
There are other adapters for the S45, but they run about $50. Just go over to dpreview.com and do a search in the canon talk forum for "adapter". http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=5277105

BigSac

BigSac
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 4:32 pm 
Thanks Tom, you're the greatest. I'll give that a try.

Go Kings!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 4:51 pm 
Do you use them for your G2/3 Thomas? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 6:29 pm 
BPJ, I never used an adapter tube on my G2 due to the hassle of attaching them (you need to unscrew a ring and then screw on the adapter). However, the G3 uses a quick release bayonet system which makes them much easier to attach. Lensmate sells the lightest / highest quality adapter for the G3 but I'm too cheap for them (their accessories are kinda pricey too and they charge WA sales tax). I got a tube for my G3 from www.cameragear.com. They have great prices on everything, not to mention you get 10% off if you order 5+ items. Here's what I got for my G3: $12.95 - Adapter Tube for Canon G3 $16.66 - 52mm Hoya Linear Polarizer $32.06 - 52mm Hoya Double Coated Close-Up Macro Set $2.66 - 52mm Rubber Lens Hood $1.00 - 52mm Plastic Snap-On Lens Cap $1.00 - 52mm Plastic Snap-On Lens Cap $1.00 - 52mm Plastic Snap-On Lens Cap $20.86 - 52mm Hoya SMC Super Multi Coated UV Filter - 10% discount $4.00 - shipping --------- $83.37 BTW, you don't need an expensive circular polarizer for non-DSLR digicams. A linear polarizer will work just fine. Also, some people prefer to protect the lens with a UV filter at all times which means leaving the tube on at all times too. I personally think this is overkill and makes the camera too bulky, but I did get a UV filter for foul weather hikes. I also am going to experiment to see if the UV filter helps cut haze. I'm skeptical but you never know.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 8:23 pm 
I also have the adapter, polarizer and close up set for my G3. Works pretty good but it's a pain in the butt to keep changing from close up to non-close up. Considering the weight difference between it and a 35mm lens with macro I guess I can put up with it. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 10:45 pm 
As always, Tom provides valuable info:
Quote:
I got a tube for my G3 from www.cameragear.com. They have great prices on everything, not to mention you get 10% off if you order 5+ items.
I just ordered from them as they have just what I needed. Thanks Tom. Note: The stuff I ordered arrived on Thursday which is pretty good service. Good quality stuff.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jul 14, 2003 11:48 pm 
I am intrigued Tom. The linear polarizer works just as well as a circle in all conditions (I guess water and sky shots are the only times I ever use it though)? Tell me more (or even better, post some before / after pics).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 1:51 pm 
Sore Feet, sorry I didn't see your post until now. A circular polarizer is actually a linear polarizer with a quarter wave plate added to "circularly" polarize the light. This is necessary to "de-polarize" the light (in layman's terms) to avoid fooling the autofocus and metering systems of some cameras. Other than cost you will see no difference unless your camera requires a circular polarizer. All non-DSLR digicams can use a linear polarizer becasue they don't use a mirror or beam splitting mechanism. There are many articles about this on the web. Here are just a couple. http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/polarizer.htm http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=article_022403

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 2:05 pm 
BTW, I thought I'd put in another good word for cameragear.com. I noticed my UV filter had a minor defect. Without hesitation they offered to ship a replacement filter, including a self addressed enveloped to return the defective item at their cost. In addition to great prices these folks have excellent service. up.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 7:58 am 
Hey Tom, Just checkin to see if the UV filter has made a noticeable difference. Also, any info/reports on a teleconverter for the G3? Edit: How's the new lite weight bag working out? Thanks, NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 9:09 am 
Newt, I'll chime in for ya on the bag part of the deal. I went out with Tom on a four day trip into the Foss area. That bag seemed to work great. I'm going to get one. It just fits his camera with that lens adapter on. Makes for a very convenient set up for sure. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 8:08 pm 
Yep, the bag is great. I leave the UV filter on at all times because it effectively seals the lens and it's easier to give the front of the UV filter a quick "whoosh" with my high volume air blower vs. blowing dust out of the lens tube adapter. Before I got my adapter tube, some dust and water got under the lens leaving a small speck that doesn't impact picture quality. I like the additional protection the UV filter provides. I haven't noticed any difference in picture quality, although now I shoot 90% of the time with a polarizer which makes for a very noticable improvement.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 12:59 am 
Tom, have you had any issues with vigenetting with the 52mm adapter tube? I was reading up on the wide angle converters, and am probably gonna get me one, but I was seeing people complaining of vigenetting when they used a lens w/ 52mm back threads. I'm assuming this was only an instance with the 52mm wide angle lens tho.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 9:37 am 
Thankin ya. I think the UV gets used more for a protector than anything else. What they should do is just sell a high quality clear glass lens protector. Glad to hear the bag is working out. NN