Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goat Rocks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hotfoot1951

hotfoot1951
PostSun Apr 14, 2002 5:21 pm 
I will be taking a short trip into the Goat Rocks Wilderness in late July. I'm thinking about going in at Chambers Lake via the Goat Ridge trail to Jordan Basin, Goat Lake, and Snowgrass Flat. I'll take a dayhike on the PCT and then exit via the Snowgrass Flat trail to Chambers Lake. Can anybody offer some comments on this route? George

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
susan

susan
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 5:27 pm 
It's a great loop trip and either north or south on the PCT will make good day trips. I've yet to do any overnighters (hope to this year) but have been to Goat Lake by way of Goat Ridge and have been just past the old stone shelter on the Crest trail by way of the Snowgrass trail and I've been south on the PCT to Cispus Basin. It's a wonderful area. North on the Crest trail out of Snowgrass Flat is the ridge trail to the top of Old Snowy. That would make a good day trip. There are good camping spots at Goat Lake and also at Bypass Camp which is a short way down from the junction of the Lily Basin trail (from Goat Lake) and the Snowgrass trail. There is water at both Goat Lake (of course) and at Bypass. Hope this helps a little.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 6:40 pm 
Be sure to hike on up from the Flats to the PCT. God's country. Great sweeping views. Good stuff. Mighty purdy.

hotfoot1951

hotfoot1951
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 8:44 pm 
Hey, thanks for the help. Do you think it matters which direction you run the loop? I will have llamas so I don't want to stay at Goat Lake. I am hoping to stay about midway between Goat Lake and Snowgrass Flat. I'm a little concerned that I may not get enough hiking in, is this loop better suited to being a day hike?

Damian

Damian
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 8:51 pm 
Depends on how much hiking you want to do. Susan must be in mighty good shape to do all that in a day! I made a 3 day loop camping at Goat Lk and SG Flats. Was plenty long and still had time to visit the high areas by day hike. Great camping everywhere. You can't loose no matter how you slice up that area. If you hit it in early Aug expect flowers up the yang!

susan

susan
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 1:01 pm 
Wo doggy! I did each of the legs of the loop as separate day hikes. I wish I was in good enough shape to do it all in one. The Cispus Basin was a separate day hike, too. To the top of Old Snowy is about 12 or 14 miles round trip up from the Snowgrass and makes a good day hike. I think to really enjoy the loop and get alot of hiking in, it should be at least an overnighter if not three days. The loop itself is 13 miles and makes a good day hike but if you want to do Old Snowy or go as far as the Cispus Basin and do the loop, you need more than a day. Another side trip is Hawkeye Point. It's north on the Lily Basin trail where it intersects with the Goat Ridge trail about half a mile before Goat Lake and is great for views, too. Damian is right about the flowers! As far as which direction, I don't think it matters. Llamas can probably handle the trail fine unless rocks will bother their feet? I don't know much about the trail conditions they need. When we went up Goat Ridge last year, a couple on horse back had to turn around because it was too rocky for the horses. One of the horses refused point blank to go past a certain point.

hotfoot1951

hotfoot1951
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 2:46 pm 
Thanks for clearing that up, Susan. This area is sounding better all the time. I've seen photos of the wildflowers and that's what really drew me in. I hope this year is especially good for the flowers. George