Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Why do they keep messing with the system?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 3:28 pm 
Actually, I have seen mumerous articles in many papers and online pubs in the last month covering this issue. You cannot blame the P-I for being biased (if you feel they are being biased, that is. I don't!) They are helping open the eyes of the locals to what could and most likely will happen to them. I feel generaly the P-I does a good job of covering news fairly. Sorry, I'm with the P-I on this one 100%. It isn't their fault that Bush's adminstration makes it so easy to write articles about lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 3:32 pm 
I apologize, I must have missed the part of the article that gave supporters of the change a chance to make their case.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 3:40 pm 
Apperantley there isn't too many of them around....... embarassedlaugh.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 4:23 pm 
Quote:
skilled mountaineer with a doctorate in zoology, a licensed firefighter and an emergency medical technician
Is this who I need digging a water bar or a new pit toilet? Do you need a doctorate in zoology to do a rescue? The park service is not supposed to be welfare for the overqualified, it's supposed to do it's job at the lowest possible cost to the taxpayer for the job that needs to be done. Every extra dollar spent on a salary for someone more qualified than they need to be, is one less spent on brushing out a trail and one more dollar increase in fees and taxes. I've got no problem paying for needed skills in positions that need a particular skill, but if the job does require it we shouldn't be paying for it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 4:27 pm 
Read the article! You aren't getting the point here: they are paying $18 an hour (and trust me, somebody in the private sector would want a LOT more to do toilet patrol!) and getting a toilet guy, a search and rescue guy, plant nerd, etc.... What that one ranger is capable of doing and DOES would be 3 or more seperate jobs in the private sector! The Gov't is getting a true bargain in this particular employee.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 4:37 pm 
Quote:
I am all for capitalism as long as human rights and the environment are considered sacrosanct
Capitalism is the only real way to value human rights IMO, based as it is on the self ownership of person and labor. Now if we're to make the environment sacrosanct, and presumably inviolable, I guess that eliminates all farming, and housing for that matter, since both irretrivably displace the environment and introduce "unnatural" changes. If we then decide, well, we didn't mean that sacrosanct, we're pretty much back to non sacrosanct and arguing about the inbetween, which is where we are now. Me, I find my jiffy pop a real benefit to humanity, I like ice cold Coke, and a ride up the mtn so I can be a gravity slave in the winter, I like petroleum based synthetics a whole lot right about then, in addition to not having to take 5 days to walk to the pass or riding a donkey there. I also like burning a few hundred gallons of kerosene straight into the upper atmosphere to get to Alaska. I like slathering myself with bug juice that melts the paint off the bottle it comes in to keep the skeeter away. I like my GameCube and all the enviro disaster it took to make my PC and give me an internet to hook it to. I'm a real bastard! But I'm a bastard who thinks we can do all this and still keep it reasonable.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 4:39 pm 
Ummm....what does your rant o' the day have to do with the topic? I am cluless......

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 4:45 pm 
Quote:
You aren't getting the point here: they are paying $18 an hour (and trust me, somebody in the private sector would want a LOT more to do toilet patrol!) and getting a toilet guy, a search and rescue guy, plant nerd, etc.... What that one ranger is capable of doing and DOES would be 3 or more seperate jobs in the private sector! The Gov't is getting a true bargain in this particular employee.
That's an interesting point, one I hadn't considered. as for the rant, it's a response to treewalker a page or so back. The quote replied to is from there.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 5:56 pm 
Yes, Bush is Satan. Wondering if anyone has heard scuttlebutt as to the real reason Christie Todd Whitman is scurrying out of her job as EPA admin. The official line is that she misses her husband, but hers is a pretty big job to be leaving based on homesickness.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 7:45 pm 
My guess is there isn't a job in the parks that can't be contracted out or won't be if the trend continues. Is the park system as a whole better served by a unified group of public servants or local job shops that will eventually be bought out and merged in the name of efficiency until there is one large corporation in charge of the parks and we are back to square one shakehead.gif shakehead.gif I say let the government run it. At least they are more accountable to the voters.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 7:48 pm 
In my opinion parks are one of those things like courts, police, and national defense that is better run by the government.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 9:51 pm 
Cutting lawns or emptying toilets are jobs, being a park ranger is a career. There is more value to the individual, and to society, in a career than in a job.

hikermike

hikermike
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 10:16 pm 
System Mess
As to campaign promises, maybe this thread should be connected to the one on "impeachable offenses". It'd never happen. The Park service fusses about its rules but if left to the employees and not the career diplomates things would probably be fine. Look at how much of the Trail user fees collected by ONP went into the backcountry and this displays why some of us are wary. (85% of the fees went to the "front", i.e. repairing visitor centers and upgrading the facilities for RV's etc.) This is why I will not support the proposed "Cascades NP". Leave some of the wilderness for those of us who have dogs and liked to show our kids how to start a fire a make somores. Also, on a historical note, if you look back to the early 30's after the initial burst of Park and monument acquisitions, the Federal Gov. spent a greater porportion of its' budget, a greater amount of money, more employees, more acerage of parklands with more miles of trails on a per capita basis than today by a very large margin.

treewalker

treewalker
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 10:44 pm 
MtnGoat, you have some valid points. I actually have total respect for the individualistic notions of capitalism. BUT, I also see it as an equation having some dependent variables and constants such as quality of life for the greatest % of participants possible and preserving the resources upon which any economy is based. Just the notion of freedom is not enough to produce long-lasting harmony. Also required are a sense of and sensibility to protecting the rights and quality of life of citizens and preserving the environment. This is where I see irony in the right-wing being called "conservative" when they don't seek to 'conserve' 2 of the factors most important to the long-term survival of our species. Farming can be done sustainably, and resources managed more efficiently through capitalisitc innovation, but we must inspire those kinds of innovations by requiring companies to clean up their environmental messes, making them economically unfeasable and providing a major cost incentive towards more healthy and sustainable activities. Similarly in the case of human rights for workers, individuals should not feel compelled to enslave themselves to corporations which exploit them. Human rights must constantly be expanded and quality of life improved upon. The benefits of capitalist inspired innovation must be felt by all of humanity, not just the wealthy. I'm not criticizing capitalism, in fact I think my interpretation of it is valid. Are we in agreement that the current US economy is not true capitalism? What about that it too heavily favors corporations and their stock holders, rather than ordinary citizens?

hikermike

hikermike
PostWed Jul 16, 2003 10:56 pm 
fees
No, I mean the backcountry use fees that the park charges in addition to the entrance fee, the per person/per nite fee.