Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Why do men think women are stupid?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mongo

Mongo
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 12:53 pm 
I think if you read the thread you will see that not all men have the same understanding. Maybe you object to the word "all". I think Mary-Lous question was rhetorical.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:20 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
Or maybe the question should be 'Why do so many women have such low self esteem that they assume that men think they are stupid?' Or maybe 'If women tend to have lower upper body strength then why do they insist on carrying such a big chip on their shoulder?'
Gee, Josie, I don't KNOW! Could it be because women make less money, and are affoded opportunities less than their male counterparts? Gosh, let me scratch my head and think about this....and perhaps ponder my self-esteem problems in the meantime!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:30 pm 
If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? --Will Rogers (1879-1935) lol.gif

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:30 pm 
Don't scratch your head while you are thinking. This makes people think you are not as smart or maybe aren't using Head and Shoulders.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:32 pm 
In response to ML Then lets step it up, no complaints just undisputable effort. Call it out when you see it, "hey pay me I'm worth it" and "I know my sh*t so listen"! You are a perfect example, most of us would trust your gear recs over anyone elses because you are confident and experienced and you tell us that you are. It shows in how you present your posts and don't apologize for rocking the boat. When they say 'take it like a man' lets just go ahead and take it from them, the higher pay, the respect but let's share it too. No one wants to get somewhere in life and have someone say that they only made it because of their privilege as a male or their special status as a female. If someone tells you you're stupid and you disregard it then they may be wrong. If someone tells you that you're stupid and you believe it then they are right. If no one calls you stupid and you spend you're life thinking that they are then maybe you are paranoid?

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:44 pm 
marylou wrote:
but at my real job, what you suggest simply doesn't work.
I'm not flaming here. I really want to know. Do you like what you do a lot? Or would you rather do something else and just feel stuck? The Impression I get from the board is that you do not like your job. My brother-in-law was in a similar position (a Seattle area theatre job he was not happy in). He moved to Chicago and talked himself into a trade show gig which he parlayed into a Marketing job a couple years later. That employer went bust, but now he just got a job with the Nature Conservancy.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:46 pm 
I've been trying to get a new job for a couple of years. That said, it really shouldn't be necessary. I guess I need to remove my pink eyewear and just settle in to the fact that the world isn't ready for equality just yet. bawl.gif

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:55 pm 
marylou wrote:
I guess I need to remove my pink eyewear and just settle in to the fact that the world isn't ready for equality just yet. bawl.gif
FWIW Most of my bosses, including my current one, have been women. One of them was mean, but none of them were ignorant or stupid (quite the opposite). That said, I understand disparities in pay and opportunity persist. Why that is so would be an excellent topic for another Saloon thread. Depending on who you work for, being an outspoken labor activist might have more to do with your work woes as being a woman.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 2:55 pm 
If you know as much as the guy giving the orders, I'd think about trying to get a position similar to his where you work. You'd probably make better manager than him since you know how people don't like to be treated. Alot of places could use managers with better people skills. People skills...I'm not sure if I like that phrase. Alot of places could use better managers.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 3:47 pm 
It's unfortunate that women get paid less for the same job a man does. It's also unfortunate that they pay more for the same goods just because they are for women. Lucky this isn't the 1800's Sometimes you need to really shine out in the crowd. Be noticed for what you do, how you do it and how you relate to co-workers. Boss's included. Sometimes attitude may go along way. Both positive or negative directions. I've worked with people and have people work for me that turned me off immediately because of a know-it-all attitude. Confidence is different. Display and use both but don't flaunt it. That applies to men and women. Knowledge, Finess, and Confidence will get you what you want eventually. You seem to know gear so why not try to move into that field? Men only think women are stupid or lesser when they let them. Men get intimidated by women who are their equal or better. If you try to show em up, then most likely problems will arise. Show yourself but don't force it down anyones throat. We all know better. Kinda like dumb blondes or men being couch spuds. Yup, we all know better. Best of luck on getting a new job. IMO NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 3:52 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
marylou wrote:
Josie, you need to remove your rose-colored glasses
I'm an underpaid teacher and I couldn't afford the iridium Oakleys!
Ahh, another state worker? Isn't it great that when the budget has a problem, we take it in the shorts, er, wallet. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
treewalker

treewalker
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 4:03 pm 
As far as I know, there have been statistical analyses of wages and position titles which have debunked the idea that women earn less for the same work. For the same work, women earn within +-2% of what men do. The reason why women on the whole make 75% of what men do is that they have less education, less experience, and choose different types of work that are either less dangerous or require less technical skill. Another factor is that they are more likeyly to have taken an extended break in their career to start a family.

Hopeless

Hopeless
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 4:07 pm 
Quote:
"Where else but in America could the Women's Liberation Movement take off their bras, then go on TV to complain about their lack of support?"
(Bob Hope dead at 100)

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 4:13 pm 
Josie, stop fooling around here. It's obvious from your accusations about it all being my fault that you are a man. NN, being an outspoken labor activist and leader certainly doesn't always put me on the top of the stack for promotions. It wasn't that sort of thing that prompted me to start this thread, it's the wholesale assumption by a complete stranger that a man is going to be smarter and/or more experienced than a woman. It's a pretty cold world to live in.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 4:20 pm 
I was just giving BPJ an opening for a "Get Marylou a job" thread as payback for the "Get BPJ a girlfriend thread" wink.gif He didn't bite. I think he's backpacking. Maybe we should have a poll to see how many men here assume a male stranger is going to be smarter and/or more experienced than a female stranger. We haven't had any polls in a while...