Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cascade River Area - What's the Deal?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Apr 27, 2002 12:09 am 
I've heard conflicting rumors in the last year or so about the Cascade River area. I know the Cascade River Road is closed part of the year for wildlife considerations, and it's pretty much kept open otherwise while the weather permits. Cascade Pass is certainly a popular destination. But I've heard that the South Fork Cascade River Trail off of FS-1590 isn't really a maintained trail any longer and it's basically being abandoned. It's not listed on the MBSNF list of trail conditions except in regard to the Middle Fork Cascade Trail that branches from it. I even remember hearing 1590 itself was being abandoned. Does anyone know what's going on with this area? I'd like to hike the SFK Cascade if the snow ever melts this year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Apr 27, 2002 9:41 am 
mcaver, I didn't know the Cascade River Road ever got closed for any considerations other than too much snow. Anyone else have info? As far as the open or closed status of 1590, check this out http://66.155.42.150/advscripts/mbs_rd2_rpt.asp A blowdown had been referenced in the report last summer, but when I drove up the road in September, the blowdown was gone. I don't know if that's the same blowdown the talk about in the report, but it seems like a blowdown has been referenced for a long time.... I drove the road in my Civic. There is a creek maybe a little more than halfway up it that you have to cross. I've always been able to cross it but if you were there in July or early August maybe it would be more difficult. Hiking the road would be pretty boring, so I prefer trying the drive. It's pretty much a one laner, and I think there is only one pullout along the 1.4? mile length. They might brush the trail occaisionally, for accessing the glacier which they study, but the brush grows back fairly fast. Other than that I don't think the trail gets any maintenance. Like your picture of St. Mary's Lake

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 10:05 am 
Thanks for the info, pb. I knew someone in the group had been there recently but didn't remember who it was. There are some trail reports for it at the WTA as well, but from several years ago. I guess I'll try to make it up there this year and see what I find.
Quote:
I didn't know the Cascade River Road ever got closed for any considerations other than too much snow.
I think they try to keep it open during the summer because of the popularity of the Cascade Pass Trail and maybe something to do with with being part of the NCNP. It's actually closed due to a slide right now according to the MBSNF website, but I'm sure they'll open it once the summer hiking season starts. I just wasn't sure about 1590 and the SFK Cascade River Trail. I vaguely remember reading they were abondoning that area.
Quote:
Like your picture of St. Mary's Lake
Thanks! It's the best photo from my vacation in Glacier National Park in Montana last June. I got up at 3am to drive across the park and be there for sunrise. The pictures before dawn came out much better than the sunrise pictures themselves. And I saw 3 grizzly bears a mile down the road afterward. It was a very cool morning. I need to lighten the photo a bit, though. MY monitor was set too dark when I did it the first time. That's the actual color of dawn too, no enhancement!

REJ

REJ
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 9:16 am 
This information is two years old. Reasonable parking along the Cascade River Road. FS Road # 1590 is posted as under study to be abandoned at the Cascade River Road. There was a log just a short distance from the Cascade River Road which blocks the road. Based on a review of Signpost reports apparently this log has been there for at least 10 years. Apparently the FS wants to abandon the road because there is a creek (prepare to get feet wet) crossing on the road which would be difficult for passenger vehicles (at least early in the season). Otherwise the road is in good shape and there is (was?) a nice parking area at the former trailhead. The Middle Fork Trail is generally in OK conditions. The last part (1 mi) of the trail is overgrown (lost?) where at least 2 major avalanche paths cross the trail. The South Fork trail has been washed at 4 miles? by the River. One can fight the brush and pick up the trail on the other side of the washout. I doubt if the FS would abandoned these trails. These trails are just not as popular as the Cascade Pass trail and therefore have been rather neglected by hikers. In spite of the washout various groups still schedule trips to the South Cascade Glacier. There is also the issue of limited parking along the Cascade road. The FS should be encouraged to reconstruct the washout portion of the trail and perform regular maintainence (mainly brushing) on these trails especially now that the Northwest Trail Pass program has been extended along the full length of the Cascade River Road.