Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dorothy and Bear Lakes 7/19-20/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jul 20, 2003 10:08 pm 
Haven’t done a trail report in ages, but feel compelled to write one about this weekend’s trip. This was my first backpacking trip of the year, so I wanted it to be a fairly short and easy one. I live in Pierce County and I’d never been to Lake Dorothy, though I hear it’s a popular hike. Sable and I (my friend’s dog and I) set out Saturday morning, though not early enough to be hiking in the temps we were to be hiking in. After all the various stops I had to make enroute, we didn’t get to setting foot on the trailhead until noon. On the way up, I noticed this is the site of heavy trail maintenance. It appears as though the maintenance crews are planning a staircase all the way up to the inlet. (ugh). While they’re at it, an escalator would probably be a more fun choice. Those obnoxious stairs they put in are killers on the knees and in screwing up a rhythm. Anyway, I get to the inlet and encounter a junction. It’s not very clear where I wanted to go, based on the sign that’s here. I wanted to find a campsite but nothing pointed me in that direction. I took the right junction, which seemed obvious to me, being that it would most likely more closely skirt the water. Turns out this is a day use only area. Walked back to the junction and onwards towards Bear Lake, as the sign would say. I encountered scattered campsite signs around Lake Dorothy, none of which were directly on the water (woe is me) and anything that appeared half way decent was already occupied. I discovered a beachy type area that was wonderful but I hadn’t been there for more than 3 minutes before it became Grand Central Station. So, I closed up the pack and set out to go further south along the shores of Dorothy. Nothing much was beyond that point. There was one other site at the other end that appeared decent from the trail, but upon stepping foot on the beachy area, I noticed that it was more like quicksand. So, onward we went. I figured we could get to Bear Lake and have no problems. I’d just barely begun the ascent on the steep hill to Bear Lake when I discovered I’d run out of water. I was thinking it couldn’t be that far, and my chances of finding a campsite there would be far greater than backtracking to Dorothy. I ran into a father and son hiking down from Bear and asked them if there was any water between Dorothy and Bear. They said no and that it wasn’t far but was a good climb to the lake. I still figured my best bet was to get up to Bear because the few sites at Dorothy that were not taken earlier must surely taken by now. I did wind up encountering a small trickle of a creek going cross the trail a ways further up and managed to get my filter out for some hydration. Normally I wouldn’t have chosen such a spot for drinking water, but when you’re desperate and weather’s very hot, you take what you can get. Finally we got to Bear Lake. Seemed it took forever before the trail actually got down to the lake and where any campsites were. We didn’t piddle around much looking for a good campsite as we were tired, thirsty, hot, and hungry – guess that would be the two – t’s and two h’s. I think we chose the second site we came to. Couldn’t detect another soul around anywhere. Immediately I set my pack down and Sable and I both set out for skinny-dipping in the lake. Oh my, that felt wonderful! Not long after, I began setting up camp and found us both engulfed in mosquitoes and gnats. I put on the all-serious stuff – Jungle Juice – I’m not sure it even phased them. Retired soon to the tent since the bugs were such proliferate univited guests and I did a crossword puzzle. Couldn’t get very comfortable since there was no real flat spot on the ground. Didn’t sleep very well all night because of the slant in the ground but saw the milky way in the sky. Then, as the night/morning went on, I was engrossed by the moon shining in the tent. It wasn’t a full moon but a large crescent - a waning moon, I think. It was so bright I almost wondered if it was the sun. And, it was so surreal! Hard to explain, but there were four beams of light radiating from the sides of it and it blinded me from everything else. It was bizarre! I blinked and blinked and rubbed my eyes and the rays of light were still there. So, morning came and Sable was itchin’ to get out of the tent. At last, I thought, I could have all of my ultra-light ¾ length thermarest to myself – even for just a short while! (Yes, she had half of it during the night.) But she wouldn’t let me sleep. She kept fetching this stick and rubbing her face up against the tent door with it. I discovered she didn’t want to be still so as to avoid the bugs from biting her. Gawd! The bugs were even worse in the morning! And I was so looking forward to a relaxing, stress-free breakfast and instant cappuccino! Not! I packed us up, let Sable do a little stick chasing and swimming and off we went. I set out at a slow pace, due to lack of sleep and latte. Oh, and by the way, the berries are starting to ripen so I, of course, had to stop for the occasional berry! I got attacked by a Devil's Club on the way down. Didn't see it coming and after brushing past it, it walloped into my hand. Yikes! The weather for the return trip was decent. I was hot and sweaty and sticky and feeling over-all icky, so the overcast and fog-like misting was a geat welcome. But before long it became hot sunshine and the trip on highway 2 to Monroe was a slow hot sweatbox. Sure wish I had a/c! Anyway, there was a shrub that was very proliferate on this hike and after grabbing a specimen and checking it out in my book at home, I discovered it was copperbush. Apparently it’s hard to find it south of B.C. but is possible down to Oregon. I think I discovered on this trip that I’m more interested in car-camping than backpacking now - unless maybe it’s short and easy in mileage. All that weight of a full pack on my knees just really takes its toll. Actually, I’d just rather be more comfortable these days. Maybe it’s that 4-0 that’s finally hit me, but does it really matter? Heck, I’ve done my share of discomforts! So, my suggestions/summations are: If you want to do Dorothy – do it during the week, and wait till all the bugs are gone, if there is such a time. In my opinion – bugs can ruin the best of trips! Dorothy and Bear Lakes are both very beautiful and swimmable lakes!!! Be wary of Devil's Club - it can sneak up on you when you least expect it!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 8:19 pm 
Your report
Hey, Catwoman I wish you'd write more reports ... I could FEEL what the trip was like, almost every step of the way. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
paps

paps
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 10:13 pm 
Nice TR. up.gif I question why I am out there too sometimes. Bugs, heat, deet, grime, hard work. But we always go back. Fall isn't far off!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 10:27 pm 
I enjoyed your trip report, it took me back to my first trek up to Dorothy and Bear Lakes (Snoqualmie Lakes Chain) see: http://www.alpinequest.com/bearlakerainout.htm McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 11:37 pm 
Yes sir, the feeline did a good job. A little sad at her bug story. FEELINE, dont give up on the wilderness! We need to take the Kat up into the enchantments, that liven her up some. Pil, you do get around dont you? Are you by any chance imortal? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jul 22, 2003 8:13 am 
Thanks guys and gals! Glad you all liked my TR. Sorry it was so lengthy (I'm much less likely to read a long TR).

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 7:42 pm 
BPJ writes: "Pil, you do get around don't you? Are you by any chance imortal?" Ah, I like the "Highlander" quirp, but no, just been doing this sort thing since I set foot on this plane, continue to do so, it's what keeps a fellow young, besides I have to keep up with all you younger folks. Speaking of keeping up, I can still hold my own and more than once I hear pals 10-15 years younger saying, "slow down will ya." Enough, Cat's story put me right back there...thanks to Cat for sharing. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com