Forum Index > Trail Talk > What do you drive to get there?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 1:25 am 
I'm in the market for a second vehicle to complement my "grocery mobile" as Beave puts it. I've pretty much decided on a 4WD, but not so sure about the rest. For example, is a low-range transfer case really necessary for the purpose of getting to some trailheads (as opposed to "serious off roading")? Does a truck or SUV makes more sense? I like the mini SUV concept (primarily from the gas mileage perspective) but am wondering how much clearance is necessary to get to the end of the MFK among other "challenging" roads? What do the rest of you drive to get to your favorite destinations and what would you do different if you were afforded the choice of another vehicle?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SteveF

SteveF
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 8:48 am 
I've never once needed more than rear wheel only drive to get to a trailhead. I avoid the Midfork because I can almost walk as fast as drive it. Or cycle it. Done the 5 mph thing up Midfork (never put it into 4WD) and there's more to life than bouncing in the seat. In four hours I can hike to Goldmyer from Snoqualmie Pass -- highland roaming instead of valley buttpounding. Take the money you would have spent on a second vehicle and donate it! There are thousands of locations that don't require a toy worth hundreds of boots. My two scents.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 9:21 am 
I've been thinking about this question for a year or so. I want room for 3 adult American males and gear. I want to be able to get to the end of the Middle Fork road without difficulty. I want to be able to take the vehicle to the dump or home and garden store when I don't want to mess up our commuter or minivan. Finally, I don't want to spend much more than 5 grand. Given those criteria, I've narrowed it down to an old dual range Subaru wagon or an old 4Runner. I'll probably get the latter, because Subaru quit making dual-range wagons in '84 or '85. I could probably get one into pretty good shape for about 5 grand, but for that much money or a little more, I think I could just buy a used 4Runner that wouldn't need much (if any) work. Just my $.02 smile.gif

salish

salish
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 9:37 am 
Tom, Think I'm with Dante on this one. An older Toyota makes a lot of sense, although the backwoods boys will sooner rip off a Toyota as opposed to a POS (yes, back to the POS). I drive a huge Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 pickup with a fiberglass camper. It's NOT a good rig for this stuff. My dearly departed pickup was ideal, as far as I am concerned. It was a 1986 Mistubishi 4x4 pickup truck. It had a canopy to keep your packs and stuff safe and dry in the back, and people could ride back there if they trusted my driving. It was small enough to weave it's way through forest canopies and had the ground clearance of a Jeep. It was perfect for this stuff, yet was not as attractive a target as a 4-Runner. Got great mileage, too My hiking buddy and I have stumbled into what we think will be our next hiking car. It's a 1983 Ford small 2x2 pickup that set him back $500. It's a POS and looks like hell but runs great. We're putting tall tires on it for ground clearance and it should work very well. And if a boulder crashes it or someone tampers with it at a trailhead, no biggie. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 9:52 am 

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 1:13 pm 
I drive a huge gas consuming Ford 1 ton 4X4 flatbed with a built 390 that produces over 450hp. It gets about 9mpg if I tune it and makes more noise than an incoming scud missle. I expect no compliments for driving it. It's just fun.

susan

susan
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 1:43 pm 
I drive my 1994 Jeep Wrangler. It gives me a real feeling of security driving to the trailheads, especially since I hike alone about half of the time, and it's a lot of fun on the logging roads. I have never had a hike I couldn't get to. I wouldn't want to drive anything else.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 1:53 pm 
1988 Toyota PU, it's a beater, but if you keep oil in them, they'll go forever--and if it gets stolen it won't break my heart too bad--depending on how far I have to walk.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 2:12 pm 
I too agree (my rigs not withstanding) with Mr. Dante. A 1984-85 (straight front axle) toyota 4runner would be perfect. The top comes off in the summer (fun) and properly set up they can go anywhere. A 1984-85 suby wagon would be good too. The toyota seats 5 with gear and if you threw in a canadian 3L 2.8 litre diesel you'd get 30mpg too. Here is that year model.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 2:22 pm 
THIS is the ultimate trail vehicle! Hell, its the ultimate vehicle period! Mercedes Benz Unimog! Late 1970's vintage. Seats 6-7 people and WILL definately go anywhere. Diesel power too.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 2:46 pm 
Dual-range means shift-on-the-fly 4WD right? I have an '87 Subaru wagon with that, and besides the ground clearance issue, which is hardly ever a problem, it's a great mountain car, and you can get one in good shape for under 5K. I really, really like mine.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 2:53 pm 
Dual range just means dual range, what you must do to shift ranges depends specifically on vehicle and year. Dual range doesn't imply "shift on the fly", especially on rigs pre 1985-90 or so, after which most started using newer transfer case and wheel hub designs to accomodate "shift on the fly".

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 2:58 pm 
Dual range means that in 4wheel HI range your transfer case is simply locking power delivery to the front wheels (rear in your case Al) the dual comes into play when you use 4wheel LO range. That means the transfer case in using a gear reduction system to lower the ratio of your overall drive train. In jeeps the high range is 1 to 1, and the low range is 2.72 to 1. My samurais are 4.70 and 4.89 to 1 respectively in low.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 3:13 pm 
Here is an example of a well set up 4runner! With the bonus of a woman driving it! I need to find a woman who likes to drive like this!

MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 3:14 pm 
I love my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee! smile.gif People put down the SUV, but I can put five adults and overnight technical packs in it, and still get just shy of 20 mpg! I don't do hardcore 4WD, especially in a $30k rig! But it is nice enough to go to dinner, take a client to lunch, and ski for the weekend. I'd watch those mini-SUVs. Check the Consumer Reports reviews, they do extensive testing, especially where roll-over is concerned. This past year, we also loaded five of us and technical packs in Mountain Mike's Subaru Outback wagon, which, although a bit cramped for a long trip, worked fine as a trailhead shuttle on one of our traverse trips last year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster