Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Baker & Sisters Range - Road Approach Conditions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu May 09, 2002 8:21 pm 
Mt. Baker Recreation Area Schriebers Meadow/Railroad Grade Approach - Road Report: Today in my attempt to rekindle my relationship with the Sisters Range, North & South Twin Peaks for mostly photography, I did some recon on the road situation up there, for those interested... 1. Most if not all approaches to North & South Twin Peaks are now gated by either Lincoln Timber, Crown Pacific, and or Scott Paper, which is contrary to my last climb in the Sisters on lower sub peaks. This includes the approach up from Scott Rd. near Hamilton that I once used...with posted guard shack due to excessive logging being done in the South Fork Nooksack River area...including closed to fishermen so the sign reads. The guard said there are 3 gates up there and they are all closed to travel now. When I inquired about how to get close for a climb, he replied Good Luck! Note: The Sisters is encompassed within the Mt. Baker Wilderness...about the only other access now is a long walk from the Mosquito Lake Road, possibly up Galbraith Creek to Dailey Prairie beyond the gate located on the Middle Fork, or up the Elbow Lake Road Trailhead, which I have done several times. However... 2. I drove around to Grandy Creek Road and up: At present, the Schriebers Meadow/Elbow - Blue Lake Road is snowed in.At the junction 3.4 miles from the paved Hwy, Elbow -Blue is impassable. The Schribers Meadow/Railroad Grade approach road is impassable in another 1.5 miles due to heavy snow and is posted as such no vehicles beyond this point until further notice. One climbing group vehicle was parked here (Alpine Adventures) so I am assuming they were making an attempt to reach Easton Glacier. In essence: approaches are difficult to attain either by heavy snow or the vast multitude of gates from private land holdings.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message