Forum Index > Trip Reports > Suiattle River/Milk Creek 7/19-7/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rainrunner

rainrunner
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 9:23 pm 
Thanks to the suggestions given by some of you kind folks, I finally decided on the destination of my backpacking trip last weekend. As it always seems, my friend and I got a later than expected start to our trip on Saturday morning thanks in part to a lovely Harley group that decided to take a joy ride along the highway to Darrington...ugh! Luckily, they all stopped in Darrington and then we were free to drive on our merry way up to the Suiattle River trailhead. We arrived all wide-eyed and bushy-tailed at the Suiattle River trailhead about 11 am and started on our merry way - the trip still partially unplanned. We decided to just play it by ear and see how we felt as to where we would end up. After an uneventful, but hot and muggy 10.8 miles along the Suiattle River we decided we were up for a little elevation gain and started heading up the trail toward Image Lake. The 2.5 miles of switchbacks with 2000 feet elevation kicked our butts (but the views would much better than the river trail) and needless to say, when we reached the end of the first switchbacks with a very handy small campsite...we decided that would be our stopping point for the day. After doing a little research on the WTA web-site, I knew water sources would be a problem...but luckily we found a nice stream about a 1/2 mile past the turn off for Image Lake which came in handy for drinking water and washing off our hard earned sweat and the dust that stuck to it! The next morning we got our butts up and moving by 8 am and decided to run up to Image Lake (with just a small daypack) to check it out and see what the hype was about. Unfortunately, the weather was a little overcast, so Glacier Peak was partially covered, but the wildflowers were out in full force and the views were still great. We were beginning to think...these switchbacks aren't so bad...we could have done this yesterday. But I think it would have killed us to do in the heat! Image Lake wasn't the most impressive, but we checked out the open air privy which was the worth the trip up...this was my first time being exposed to open air privies...and man are they cool! Lucky for you, I don't have a digital camera, so I won't be posting pics smile.gif After a quick jaunt up to Image Lake, it was back to our previous night's campsite to load up the packs and start heading back down to the Suiattle River trail in search of the junction with the PCT. After another uneventful 5 miles of lowland trails with little elevation gain/loss we began our ascent up to Dolly Creek Ridge/Vista. Once again...we waited until the end of the day to do the butt kicking switchbacks...but at least with switchbacks...you know you are going up...and will eventually have some views. Once we reached the Dolly Creek Ridge...the views were absolutely gorgeous...once again, the wildflowers were out in full force. And that day, the skies were clear and Glacier Peak was looking very magestic. After scouting a few campsites while looking for "the perfect campsite" and deciding that the trickles in the streams weren't what we were looking for as far as a water source and seeing a black bear bounding down the meadow, we ended up heading up around what the rangers called "the horseshoe" in search of water and a better campsite. Just as my friend was about to give up...we heard the glacier stream and came around a huge glacier basin. When we had talked to the rangers the day before, the were unsure whether there would still be snow in the basin. Luckily, with all the hot weather, the snow was just about melted. We had to cross a few patches of snow, but nothing even remotely scary or dangerous. We decided on a campsite in the basin near the stream...we were pretty much in the middle of the basin, but there wasn't another soul up there and it was cool to have the place to ourselves. It was a cold and windy night, but no critters came after us so that made it a good night! We got up early again the next morning and began our trek in search of the Milk Creek trail in order to complete a loop back to our car. The views along the ridge or were once again awesome. We began heading down the switchbacks and just as I began to comment on how good the trails had been and lack of debris on the trail, we hit our first tree in the trail. After easily passing over the tree, we ran into a Forest Service Ranger who asked how the trail was. After giving him our trail report, he said...well, you are in for a little rougher time on the downhill...he warned us of some "overgrowth" along the trail. I thought, oh, I can handle a little overgrowth...at least it's not snow! Well, soon we found ourselves making our way through a waist deep jungle with the trail barely visible. The switchbacks downhill wouldn't have been bad, but for 2.5 miles we found ourselves trekking through the jungle of overgrowth which ended up not being the most fun. I guess the ranger really knew what he was talking about. We ran into the ranger once again down further on the trail and actually attempted to help him move some downed trees on the trail, but they wouldn't budge. The ranger did say that he was scouting out the trail for some trail maintenance crews that would be coming up in a week to clear out everything. Somehow, we managed to maneuver our way through the overgrowth, made it safely to the Milk Creek trail, and back the 6.5 miles to our car. It wasn't pretty...those last 6.5 miles seemed to take forever...but we both managed to hobble out still in one piece. Overall, it was a wonderful trip with great weather! And we managed to rack up more miles that either of us imagined we would possibly do. I highly recommend this loop trip to anyone...it is a bit challenging to do in 3 days (with the Image Lake detour especially!) but the views are absolutely worth it! And except for the 2.5 miles of overgrowth (which should be cleaned up in the next week or so!), the trails were in great shape. Water is a little scarce whenever away from the lowlands near the rivers, but just keep a little extra water at all times and you should be fine. Trip stats: 46.3 miles; elevation gain/loss=7200 feet

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message