Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heliotrope Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 24, 2003 1:23 am 
I hit the trail at 1 pm on Monday, the dog on a leash due to 23 cars at the trailhead. The trail starts out in great forest, large trees draped interestingly with moss. The climb is steady with occasional switchbacks. There are several nice waterfalls, and at least four difficult stream crossings. The fact that I crossed (and re-crossed) them on a hot day between 3 pm and 8 pm didn't help. The last one seemed the toughest on the way in, and I made the mistake of taking off my boots and wading across. Major error. The water was so cold it felt hot. The bottom of the stream is invisible due to frothy water, making for rough footing. I later learned from another hiker that the stream is much easier to cross by going up a bit higher to where it is braided into more channels. It was. The glacier overlook is amazing. I stayed there for over two hours, just absorbing the cleansed air off the snow and taking in the grandeur of Mt. Baker. I listened to Pink Floyd's Ummagumma live CD, the songs such as Saucer Full of Secrets, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, and Careful With That Axe, Eugene, really enhancing the mystical quality of the location. The heat made the hike harder than I expected. Daisy and I car camped on a road that takes off to the right just before the trailhead. The view was spectacular, and the privacy total, since folks wanting a car accessible view go to the Mt. Baker Lookout picnic area past the TH. On Tuesday I had planned to do Yellow Aster Butte, but I was too tired from hiking Monday and yard work on Sunday. I had breakfast in Glacier, and then went to Nooksack Falls and on to Artist Point. Daisy and I played in the snow at AP, and we went on a little jaunt that contours along a ridge to the right when facing Baker. It lead over to a great viewspot of the mountain. We saw another great sunset on the drive home. Travel note: don't drive into Bellingham on the freeway, turn off at Burlington and take Rt 9 north from Sedro-Woolley. It is faster, shorter, less traffic, smoother road, better scenery, and overall a nicer experience.
Mt. Baker Coleman Glacier Overlook
Mt. Baker Coleman Glacier Overlook

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jul 24, 2003 4:09 am 
Nice photo Slugman. It looks very inviting. The hike is now on my list if I ever have time again. Ummagumma, (I only have vinyl) now that brings back pleasant memories of the good old days. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 24, 2003 8:36 am 
Hey, NN, and others: If you look at the photo of Mt. Baker, you can see the face of Hitler! Seriously, it's there very plainly. Let me know if you can't find it, I'll tell you where exactly it is. About the hike, I can't believe I've never done this one before. This is one of the best I've ever done, and it wouldn't have been so hard if I hadn't started at 1 pm on a super-hot day. The glaciers are endlessly facinating.