Forum Index > Trail Talk > Where do we go... to avoid snow this weekend?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon May 20, 2002 6:58 pm 
Anybody been up the Teanaway, yet? Apparently there's an enormous difference between east and west this year. We've got a long weekend coming up and it might even be halfway decent. Do we still have to go to the beaches to take advantage of it? (In which case I won't go cause I won't fight the traffic.) Suggestions welcome - knowledge preferred. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon May 20, 2002 9:23 pm 
I'm going up the Entiat Friday / Saturday. I dunno what the snow is like up there, last I heard the road was open to Silver Falls, probably well beyond there by now.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon May 20, 2002 10:00 pm 
Go hike in the desert. No, not just the same old three places you've heard over and over again (Umtanum Creek, Yakima Skyline, and Ancient Lakes). Car camp near Potholes and day-hike to your hearts content in the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge. Roam miles of Saddle Mountain. Hike the John Wayne Trail/Iron Horse Trail between Army West and Army East. Go romp around atop Steamboat Rock. Just go to the L.T.Murray or Oak Creek Wildlife areas and, well, just start walking...you have >100,000 acres to play. Cleman Mountain, Bethel Ridge, on and on. Many more hikes on Manastash and Umtanum Ridges alone than you could imagine compared to if you are stuck in the rut the 55 Hikes book leads you to believe. Cowiche Canyon just out of Yakima, then add other hikes or milkshake stops to your fine day. Whiskey Dick Mountain in the Quilomene/Whiskey DIck Wildlife areas...throw in all of the Colockum Wildlife Area and you'll roam for weeks. The state is huge and there is so much more than just mountains. I love the mountains greatly, more than the desert. But I can stay booked for snowfree hiking if I want until the snow melts out by August this year by just continuing my trips east over the big hill. agree.gif

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue May 21, 2002 7:45 am 
I was going to suggest Clemens and the Umptanum, but Alan beat me to it. Clemens has roads on top and up some of the canyons, but not all. A person could camp in the lower areas then hike up up one of the many ridges leading to the top using closed roads or simply choosing your own trail. I like to camp near the top of the ridge--there's some pretty good sites on the upper stretches of Big Burn Canyon Rd (take water)--then go cross canyons. At any rate, there's lots of country, lots of wildlife, incredible views--and once you're away from the roads, not many people if any. Another place I'm going to get to next weekend is the Umptanum Creek Canyon--from the waterfall entrance to the mouth on the Yakima--I've got to talk someone into picking me up, of course. Back in the day, we used to fish the creek, and despite the paucity of the water, you'd be surprised at the quality of fish...now much of the creek is impounded by beaver dams and I'm curious to see how that will effect fishing-it hasn't been postive in a few places that I've fished closer to Durr Rd--the ponds have caused the water to heat up and the beavs have cut down many of the trees that shaded the creek. Tick season is on in these envrions so keep an eye for them and if you venture into the Umptanum-watch out for rattlers.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed May 22, 2002 10:06 pm 
Another interesting place to hike is Douglas Creek over by Waterville. You can hike along the old railroad grade. The creek itself is nice with some very ssmall but good waterfalls.

N. Chant Mint

N. Chant Mint
PostWed May 22, 2002 10:15 pm 
Don't kid yourself that the Enchantments are snowfree this time of year!! Maybe in August or September.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu May 23, 2002 8:31 am 
lol.gif Yeah, take a look at scoteryx's trip report for Colchuck/Dragontail. And Colchuck thaws out long before the Enchantments.