Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Greatest feat in US athletics history
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Smokey

Smokey
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:27 am 
In my opinion anyway. No standing around scratching your privates in this sport. Maybe a little champagne drinking though. Lance Armstrong

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 12:52 pm 
It's certainly up there, but I'm not sure if it'd qualify as the greatest.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 1:27 pm 
Next year going for his seventh will be the greatest. If he wins next year I'll go with that title. I'd say it's the most grueling sport. If cycling were as popular here as it is everywhere else there would be more appreciation for it that's for sure. i've ridden quite a few century's. I felt good when I could maintain 18mph. These buggers are doing 25 to 30 mph! I still say Eddie is the best though. If Lance makes it 7 next year he'll take that title from Eddie. Damn incredible. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 1:42 pm 
I hate to get nitpicky but it I think it will be number 6 that Lance will be going for next year. When you say Eddie are you talking about Eddie Merckx?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 1:47 pm 
Way to go Lance. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Gaius

Gaius
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 3:32 pm 
Allez! Lance for number 6. A while back I read a book about Marshall Taylor, a bike racer in the late 1800s and early 1900s. He was quite the athlete for the time. I think he would have given Lance a run for his money. Reading about the six day track races at Madison Square Garden and shaft drive bicycles was interesting.

Psycho List

Psycho List
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 6:34 pm 
I dunno if Armstrong's feat is the greatest but an incredible achievement. There are many others like Al Oerter, Edwin Moses, Michael Jordan... but why compare?! It was fun to watch this year's Tour. Viva la France!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
El Puma

El Puma
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 7:33 pm 
Mark Spitz was a good champion in his days... What about non-competitive stuff, like Ed Viesturs' climbing feats? And there are many more climbers who are less famous and more accomplished on different levels. (Does that count as athletics?) On an international level; I watched a lot of Bjørn Daehlies long-distance XC skiing - that dude ROCKS! Or Johann Olav Koss (Koss the Boss) in long-distance speed skating? I watched a training segment about him; the stand between sliding weights on a lateral track and push alternately one of them sideways with their legs; he pushes 1200 KILOGRAMS! I guess on that note I'm not sure one single feat is mo' better than others, but it's kind of fun to reflect upon these events in history.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:02 pm 
I wish him success next year. It definitely adds an element of excitement to next years race. Some other notable athletes: Jim Thorpe Babe Ruth Pele

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:17 pm 
Of course, number six. My appologies. I got caught up in the moment. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:21 pm 
Not to be a spoilsport but how about a big cheer up.gif for the whole USPS Team. Without his domestiques' Lance would be an also ran. He acknowledges their prowness we should too. It is really a team and not an individual sport.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:31 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Not to be a spoilsport but how about a big cheer up.gif for the whole USPS Team. Without his domestiques' Lance would be an also ran. He acknowledges their prowness we should too. It is really a team and not an individual sport.
Rightfully so. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Smokey

Smokey
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:38 pm 
That's true about teamwork. Still Lance shines in the mountains and time trials when it's less about teamwork and more the measure of the individual. Isn't USPS an odd sponsor? Why don't I see life size cutouts of these guys when I walk into the post office? They should be selling team jerseys at the counter. The story of Lance Armstrong is like a Disney movie. My sister used him for inspiration when undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Still I read, he figures cancer patients give him more inspiration than he gives them. Greatest or not, I think he turned into a pretty cool human being.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:10 pm 
Fantastic, Lance! A great champion and a great team. I thought the sportsmanship showed Lance by both Jan Ulrich and other competitors a few days ago when Lance crashed was nice to see! Armstrong did the same to Ulrich in an earlier Tour. What an amazing physically-demanding sport, and I winced watching Lance gingerly walking bowlegged up the steps to the official's trailer after a race earlier this week. My tush is howling after an hour or so on the saddle on the Burke-Gilman trail! up.gif smile.gif up.gif