Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 10:32 am 
Quote:
Yes Mtngoat, nearly everything we do in life causes inpacts of some kind, to something. (would that apply to property rights too?) Thanks for clearing up that mystery. But, please don't lay your bullsh## guilt trip on me. Wake up to 2003 and a little reality. I'll try to make it easy for your vast intellect to grasp (maybe). 1) go up to the address bar and type in yahoo.com. then hit enter. 2) the first url (that's the blue letters that are underlined) listed is a link to a step by step route description that is contained in a web-site. The route description is written in Sept 2000. 3) the 2nd url links you to another route description for that area, mentions things like elevation, direction, etc. Aug, 2001 The third url is a link to my TR. When I chose that area as a destination I didn't know it was Quote: not hiddend, but relatively unknown place. My sole intent on posting the TR was to show what a goof I was in missing the route repeatedly. Unlink many other wind bags on this site, I've never professed to be a modern day Dan'l Boone like you and my other critic. The suggestion that an area as large and fantastic as the Enchantments could STILL somehow be Quote: somewhere nice, not hidden but relatively unknown is yet another example of how you string a whole bunch of words together (quite nicely) but rarely say anything.
wether or not you consider it a "guilt trip" is up to you, all I'm doing is pointing out is anyones responsibility for what they choose to do. You have no control over what someone else does. You *do* control what you do. Yes, it's 2003 all right, and if you're not taking into account the fact that using a search engine can turn up info when you post it, it seems to me you're not taking into account the effects of ones choices. So there were two previous reports. Now there are three. Are you telling me because you added one, there are not two instead of three? That if someone else does something, and you do it too, you didn't do it? I can think of three different, relatively unknown places right off the cuff that have seen increased impacts in the last two years due to this site alone. I'll be back later when I have more time to respond to the other kind comments.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 10:53 am 
paps wrote:
Also, please understand, I wrote the TR knowing that someone on this site has a photo page with bunch of pics and route description and a further link to a nearly step by step route description to the above now unmentionable area. moon.gif
Yes, it's all my fault. <insert flogging emoticon> Without those pics, loudmouth Paps, chestbeating Marylou, quirky Quark, and a few others might never have gone to this terrible place. Seriously though, Chikamin isn't all that easy to get to and for this reason I don't lose much sleep over the pictures I've posted of it on the internet. On top of that, the wolves, grizzlys, and mosquitos keep the population down. There are easier, prettier places to get to that I haven't posted pictures of (or at least identified directly) because of ease of hike and/or proximity to metropolitan areas. BTW, the brown Beckey has a nice shot of Chikamin on p. 178. BTW, Mtn Goat, what are the other places you mention. I want to go now. biggrin.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 10:54 am 
There are at least three places I wouldn't have thought to visit if it weren't for trips posted on this website. Anyone else get ideas about places they wouldn't have thought to go if not for TRs to them? There have been discussions raging for decades on this subject. People, please be careful. When you do a TR, it is being broadcast to hundreds of people.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:15 am 
Well, in all honesty, I've bookmarked six places that had Trip Reports from this forum. Four of them were unfamiliar to me, and the other two had been "looked at" on the maps. So even though I try to be very careful at any fragile alpine place, I'll be adding to the impact when I go. So...I guess the Trip Reports planted the seed in me for visiting, and therefore DID increase the impact. It's a tough call as to where to draw the line on Trip Reports, for sure. Guess it still boils down to individual decisions on how much information to give out. Marylou brings out good points in stating that ANY fragile area should be carefully considered. Tom brings out good points in stating that for the most part, a hard-to-reach area is not going to get a huge amount of additional impact. I myself have gotten a bit carried away with my own propensity to get "excited" about a place or a trip, and have posted reports that I now regret posting. Even at my advanced age, I'm still learning...I think. rolleyes.gif So...I think Marylou's point is well-taken...to be very careful.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:31 am 
Oh geez, here we go again with people wanting to keep their finds a secret and private. I see nothing wrong with TR's and people paying a visit to those places as a result. It's common sense and respect to be as careful as we can to any of our wilderness locations. I have a real hard time with people who can't share and feel they need to keep everything to themselves. What good is the beauty and awe of our natural world if you can't share it?!

PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:34 am 
Larry wrote:
Marylou brings out good points in stating that ANY fragile area should be carefully considered.
Agreed! I just don't like being singled out by having her original "concern" be attached to my TR Like I gave away the key to heaven. Half the people on this site seem have personal web-sites and on-line photo albums that show fragile areas. Give me a break!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 12:46 pm 
I understand the reasoning behind this mindset, there is definitely validity to it, but I think it's being way overblown because: 1 - The majority of web browsers, and I mean VAST majority, will stop looking for something if they can't find it within 30 seconds. Trip reports included. 2 - The people who frequent this forum are obviously a lot more responsible...er, responCible smile.gif and knowledgeable than your average Snow Lake - Denny Creek - Rattlesnake Ledge sunday leisure walker, and would be the most likely demographic to visit the location(s) in question. 3 - This site may allow posting of pictures, but if we're gonna worry about trip reports creating a bigger human impact on an area, I'd be a LOT more worried about WTA than anything else.

reststep

reststep
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 1:50 pm 
Mtn Goat wrote
Quote:
"I can think of three different, relatively unknown places right off the cuff that have seen increased impacts in the last two years due to this site alone." Was one of these Temple Canyon? Some people were posting information about Temple Canyon in this forum last year.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
reststep

reststep
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 2:03 pm 
I can remember Pack and Paddle Magazine taking criticism because of some detailed trip information by some writers in their trip reports. I think because of it one of them quit writing reports for several years.

Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 2:05 pm 
catwoman wrote:
Oh geez, here we go again with people wanting to keep their finds a secret and private. I see nothing wrong with TR's and people paying a visit to those places as a result. It's common sense and respect to be as careful as we can to any of our wilderness locations. I have a real hard time with people who can't share and feel they need to keep everything to themselves. What good is the beauty and awe of our natural world if you can't share it?!
I'm thinking about what you are saying, Catwoman. I agree with your statement about "common sense and respect for the wilderness locations". However, I do think that your statement could also pertain to at least [i]some[i] of the areas that are preciously fragile, and thus "common sense and respect" could also be exercised in consideration of writing about them. Regarding "having a real hard time with people who can't share and feel they need to keep everything to themselves"...well, I don't think anyone, including myself, is keeping everything to themselves if they are posting trip reports in the first place. I think the crux is that a person is responsible for thinking a little about the impact of a trip report for a certain area (i.e., the truly fragile areas mentioned above). I think that your statement about sharing has some validity. However, let me modify it with my opinion that I felt some remorse about sharing some pretty darn fragile areas on some previous posts. These particular areas were made up of small corridors of lush and pristine wet meadows that eventually led to a destination that also shares those same characteristics of being limited in scope, with a singularly fragile system. I simply was doing some soul-searching as a result of reading the various opinions, and have decided that I'll be careful to exercise that common sense and respect. I certainly have no problem sharing any "secrets" with people, especially with people like you and others on this forum, Catwoman, who I know DO have the respect for those wonderful places. But, if I think an area is just TOO fragile for the "general public", then I'll only share those places by inviting you and others along to enjoy it. It's not so much about "secrets" as it is about exercising restraint in my posts. lol.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 2:38 pm 
Could a place like the Enchantments ever have been kept secret? Maybe its popularit could have been delayed by a decade or two but it seems like popularity was inevitable for such a place. What do you think?

reststep

reststep
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 2:49 pm 
Who wouldn't want to go to the Enchantments after seeing Stark's pictures?

Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 2:57 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Could a place like the Enchantments ever have been kept secret? Maybe its popularit could have been delayed by a decade or two but it seems like popularity was inevitable for such a place. What do you think?
It sure does seem that way, Polarbear. I remember back in 1964 (approximately), hearing by "word of mouth" about this fabulously beautiful place that "was a cross between the High Sierras and the Wind River Range" that was being locally referred to as "The Enchantments". Of course, I was antsy to get there and see for myself and promptly visited, and was blown away. I'm pretty certain that I told several buddies about it, and they of course were also blown away, and they rhapsodized about it to yet others....and so it goes. Then, you have this wonderful alpine place that is very close to a town like Leavenworth, with visitors from all over the world...and the same "word of mouth" that I mentioned above starts circulating in Leavenworth...and at least some of those Leavenworth tourists are inveterate hikers...and, well, there you are. It's not bad or good, at least in the sociological sense, that people would want to go there. And, it's not necessarily a "secret". Who could blame anyone for wanting to go visit? I don't think the popularity could have been delayed for a decade or two. The late 1960s and the 1970s saw an exponential increase in hikers throughout the ranges of the Northwest. I think it was inevitable that it happened in that time frame.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 3:40 pm 
If you take the line of reasoning that trip reports cause "impact", then the "100 Hikes..." series is the work of Satan. Perhaps all hikers should abandon their hobby to protect these places for...nobody, apparently. If every person on this board went to all the same places, it still would have little impact due to our relatively small numbers. We have less than 500 members. Would the Enchantments be "saved" by 500 less people per year? Responsible use by knowledgable enthusiasts is not the problem. Masses of occasional hikers swarming over a place with no inkling of habitat protection is far more damaging. However, the more people who hike, the more voters for preserving these places there are. Clearcutting has destroyed 1,000 places for every one hiked to death.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 3:58 pm 
Once we step off of the concrete and asphalt things become sensitive. Some more than others. Most, but not all folks respect this and abide by natures unwritten rules to treat it with the utmost respect. Some folks don't think, don't care and flat out think that it is all there at their disposal. My first trip to Alaska and the Tundra brought about an acute awareness of how fragile nature can be. I was informed, politely, to watch my step. plant life struggled very hard just to stay alive. Any damage could be irrepairable even given ideal conditions and long periods of time. I have ever since been aware of my every step whether it would crush a plant or wear a tread even further. My first glacier experience was the Mandenhall. I felt guilty knowing that every step I took with crampons chisels away ice. Small, yes, but still chiseling away for the sun to melt and slowly erode away this fantastic beauty. I have wanted to do more but can't quite bring myself to help destroy something that has taken eons to come into existence. As time goes on, the population grows. Outdoor recreation is the thing to do. More and more people well help in some sort of destruction of mother nature. It is not an endless supply. A few years back there was concern of the eroding away of climbing rocks by climbers. It's just rock, so what the heck. It can and will never grow back. This earth is ours to enjoy and also to protect. Leave No Trace? But our very being there has left some sort of trace. Some sort of wear and tear. I see and understand the concern for less detailed instructions to some fragile and less fragile places. Soon there will be bridges, walls, and asphalt to help keep the situation under control. We can fix some things, but they will never be the same. If it weren't for the influence of Beckey, Manning, Spring, BackPacker Mag or even folks like Stark, the wilds wouldn't be under such attack. We all add to the impact. We should all be responsible in how we use it and how we talk about it. I believe in poster discretion and really don't feel that we need TR police. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.