Forum Index > Trail Talk > Copper Lake - 45 Mine - reality check
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 6:33 pm 
I'd say "WAS" was more likely. That east end, from the Cutthroat Lakes connection to the spur road above Williamson Creek has been abandoned a long time (10 years?). I would guess that the far east end, the section that crossed the steep meadow, is probably gone entirely. On the other hand, many of the sections in the forest are probably in reasonable shape. Once upon a time you could drive from Olney Pass, across the Culmback Dam, east on the North Shore Road to Williamson Creek, and up Williamson Creek to the spur that climbed the end of the Pilchuck-Bald Mountain Ridge till it reached the original east end of the Bald Mountain Trail. Back in the good old days, I went in that way 3 or 4 times. We gave up on it as a possible route to the Copper Outfall (via Walt Bailey's) because it was something like 15 miles and 3500 feet, one way! Nobody had time for that kind of expedition. doh.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Sep 24, 2010 12:30 am 
Billy i have not doubt that the section of trail that goes East from the Cutthroat lakes to the old road that comes up from Williamson creek is still there. The old road is still there sort of. The culverts have all been removed and the brush has grown in. That road is unusable. There is simply no vehicle access to the north shore of Spada lake at all. Nothing its all gone. Well except for some concrete bridges....those were not removed. Williamson Creek road it self is interesting. Compared to the way the DNR flat destroys roads now....is not exactly the same way they did Williamson Creek road. Sure i pulled some culverts....but i also noticed they did not get all of them, nor dig extra ditches. Willamson Cr to road to the old 45 mine beyond the spur that leads to the old Bald Mtn trail was untouched by the DNR. Although Ma nature has done an amazing job of erasing some of it. Beavers have flooded it in the past. The beaver dam as washed out, and is being rebuilt. Other sections of that stretch of road was deja vu....it was exactly as i remembered when i drove it in the 90's. But what does that matter can't drive there. Regarding the Bald Mtn trail it's self. While still officially in the trail inventory, the section from Ashland lakes to Bald mtn might as well be abandoned too. It has not seen any maintenance in many years, and the brush is closing in. And Copper Lake. Here's a trip retort form this August. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7985499&start=0 Just going from the Old 45 mine site to Copper lake is an adventure in it's self.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith
PostSat Feb 18, 2017 11:42 am 
Hey I have been into the 45 mine and Copper lake several times. I can tell you rite now it was brutal and most likely not possible from the spada Williamson creek side anymore unless climbing gear is involved. There are several inverted cliffs with old rope ladders in a few sections that have now declined due to the elements. I can say it's a beautiful Amazing experience cresting the mountain top and peaking over and discovering the most gorgeous lake I've ever hiked into. The fishing was world class phenomenal with very large Eastern Brook trout. If anyone would like more details feel free to email me At Yachtsmith360@gmail.com Thanks all. Tyler

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:03 pm 
Classic thread. Kind of skeptical now about going to the 45, but not ready to give up!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.