Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kids: why?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:03 pm 
I like the idea of the bigbrother/bigsiser programs... You can make a difference in the life of a child, but when they misbehave or get pregnant, they aren't yours.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:10 pm 
Or you can work in the arts for 16 years. I work for slightly substandard wages so you can see some of the best live theatre in the world.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Autistic

Autistic
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:24 pm 
Darn. I only worked in the arts for 5 years. My parents worked in the arts for over 50 years each, and they got to see lots of drama. Didn't get to see lots of money though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:33 pm 
I don't want to have kids because I'm selfish. There are so many things I want to do and so many places I want to go that there's no way in the world I could possibly do it all before I die. I don't see the need to sacrifice more of those things to have kids when I have very little desire for all the other things kids bring. I do have a little bit of paternal instinct in me, but I direct that at my nephews. I am truly happy when people have kids that want them, but I don't see that in my future. I'm not willing to make the sacrifice.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:55 pm 
Miss Normandy wrote:
The reason I don't have any children is because I am 22 years of age, in college, unmarried, broke, irresponsible, etc. The reasons I don't want children have a lot to do with the fact I am childish enough on my own. I hate waking up in the morning. I HATE IT. I sleep as much and as long as possible. Why the hell would I ever want a child to wake me up 5X a night with bad dreams and irrational fears? I want to sleep in on my days off, then go do what I want to do with who I want to do it with, not get up at the ass crack of dawn to feed a crying baby and then take care of it all day. I could list a zillion more reasons why my life as I know it is NOT compatible with parenting.
*swoon* wub.gif biggrin.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 12:31 am 
Fiscally Fit wrote:
What I'd like to know is why people have cats.
I like all animals, but I love cats. I'm such a sucker for them. I don't know why, I just am. Maybe it's a surrogate for not having kids. Or maybe it's because I share some personaity traits with them -- stubborn, aloof and fiercely independent until it's time to eat. biggrin.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 7:13 am 
MCaver wrote:
I don't want to have kids because I'm selfish.
Now here's someone to says it like it is. Right up front. Nothing wrong with that either. They take lots of time, money and patience. If you're not willing share these things in your life then it's best not to have them. up.gif up.gif to you for being truthful. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 7:56 am 
So Newt, what you are basically saying is that people who choose not to have kids are only doing so out of selfishness? I BEG TO DIFFER!! Matter of fact, the same could be said of people who do choose to have them. Don't think either is the case!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 8:09 am 
Nope. Not at all. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Smokey

Smokey
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 8:22 am 
Hey MCaver, how can remaining childless be selfish? Unless you believe it's mankind's duty to go forth and procreate, then it's just a choice about how to live your life.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 8:51 am 
selfish \Self"ish\, a. 1. Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others. My "selfish" comment was only half serious, but I'd say that's pretty accurate in this case. I don't want kids becuase I don't want to sacrifice anything to have them. Isn't that regarding myself over the expense of others, my unborn kids? I don't see my selfishness in this case as negative, though. I don't really feel selfish for not wanting kids, but it could be seen that way for those that see procreation as their piurpose, I suppose. But when have I ever cared what other people think? See, I'm selfish! biggrin.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 9:05 am 
the lykkens wrote:
MCaver wrote:
I don't want to have kids because I'm selfish.
This statement could only be true if you were the last man on earth and human kind would end if you did not procreate. I believe it is not only NOT selfish but very responsible to choose a life without children if you so desire. The world will be less overpopulated for it and your unborn children will appreciate not being an after thought in a busy and uninterested parents life. I say kudos to you...
That is in no way selfish, Michael! It's the exact opposite! You could choose to have kids just because it's your "God given privilege", and then neglect them or whatever. Now THAT's selfish! Personally, I feel I've made a great sacrifice in choosing to NOT have children. I've made the choice to forgo my "God given privilege" to procreate so that I can do my part in other ways to help make this world a better place (for myself and others). I've gone through times when I've really wanted kids and I've gotten through them without being stupid and having them just 'cuz, thank you very much. I had the sense to know I wasn't in a positive relationship or positive financial health or whatever. Can't remember who said it but someone said that one reason they had kids was so they wouldn't be alone at their death bed. Yeah, I've thought about that, too. But I guess that makes it more important for me to develop good friendships with people that don't feel obligated to love me because we're of the same blood. As for cats - they're awesome! And all of my pets have been rescues and are fixed, so they will not add to the pet overpopulation crisis. Dogs are awesome too and I'll have some of those when my living circumstances allow for them!

salish

salish
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 9:11 am 
This is an interesting discussion. When I met my wife I was thirty-seven and just ending a long and wild career as a heavy drinker, hellraiser, carouser, and an unrepentent selfish jerk. It was amazing that she accepted me. Kids were the farthest thing from my mind. I thought, if I can't take care of myself how the hell am I going to take care of a kid? I ended up being a step dad to two wonderful girls who are now married and one has a baby of her own. My wife could not have any more children and that was fine with me. But now, at almost fifty and with both of my parents gone, I sometimes regret that I never had any kids of my own. I sometimes think that we are hollow inside, and missing something very important if we do not procreate. On the other hand, I have friends who have some of the most rotten kids I've ever seen; children from hell who have given their parents many years of grief and sorrow, and continue to do so into their adult years. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, I guess.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 10:01 am 
Every action you take is selfish. Every action is selfish no matter how altruistic you think the action is. I wanted kids becuase I wanted to know what it was like to raise and care for children. I wanted to experience that part of life.

Art is an adventure.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 10:10 am 
Just because you get something out of an act doesn't make it selfish, unless it is to the detriment of someone or something else. Egocentric, maybe. But not selfish. To be selfish, someone or something else would have to be deprived as a result of my gain.