Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kids: why?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jul 29, 2003 11:45 am 
Miss Normandy wrote:
One more thing. Your family could be your closest friends, they don't have to be your parents & siblings. Family are the people you surround yourself with in times of need, in times of joy, holidays and vacations.
Oh if only it worked that way. I like most of my friends better than many of my "real" extended family members, but usually I can not surround myself with them in times of need, in times of joy, holidays and vacations because they have to be with members of their "real" extended families. lol.gif I like your plan MN--good luck with it smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jul 29, 2003 11:49 am 
You can choose your friends, not your family. tongue.gif

Mal Con

Mal Con
PostTue Jul 29, 2003 11:52 am 
You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friends nose. doh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostTue Jul 29, 2003 11:53 am 
DJ wrote:
Miss Normandy wrote:
One more thing. Your family could be your closest friends, they don't have to be your parents & siblings. Family are the people you surround yourself with in times of need, in times of joy, holidays and vacations.
Oh if only it worked that way. I like most of my friends better than many of my "real" extended family members, but usually I can not surround myself with them in times of need, in times of joy, holidays and vacations because they have to be with members of their "real" extended families. lol.gif I like your plan MN--good luck with it smile.gif
Thanks, it works for me. But it isn't going to work for everybody and I understand that. My momma always told me the secret to a happy lasting marraige is finding someone who has had a similar upbringing and family life, who has the same outlook on life... so far she's been right. Treewalker, please don't discriminate against all "pretty girls with good families" and think you don't have a chance because of how I feel. Everyone is different, everyone has had different experiences rendering them unique in their convictions.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
treewalker

treewalker
PostTue Jul 29, 2003 12:11 pm 
MN, I totally understand your convictions and I appreciate you for sharing them. When I wrote that about the resentments I had for my family I was probably just in a bad mood or feeling less than noble. I do on some level love my family and I try to include them in my life when I can, they aren't that bad, but sometimes they can be a little overbearing. After thinking about it more, I don't think that most pretty girls with nice families would necessarily discriminate against me, unless they really had their hearts set on having combined-family get togethers on a regular basis. And personally, I wouldn't want to marry someone who would require dailiy involvement with their or my families... Monthly? OK... I'm just more of a free-spirit and I like to get away and be an individual and I'd only be compatible with girls who valued that as well. You can value that and still have a family life. I think there are enough girls that respect that and understand that and might be attracted to the "fly out of the nest and make it on your own" mentality that I have. I don't really hate my family, and I don't harbor resentments... I just sometimes wish they were more fun to be around, but in small doses it goes great and isn't that bad.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 29, 2003 1:46 pm 
In regards to family..... There are times, well LOTS of times I really want to ring my wife's neck in my masculine hands. But I would never divorce her.

Art is an adventure.
gramps

gramps
PostWed Jul 30, 2003 3:40 pm 
garsh, you doods all got so SERIOUS !! must be goin around, i've noticed that trend on other boards as well. or maybe it's just the weather. from my perspective as a 50-something grampa, the best reason to have kids is that if you're fortunate, meybe they won't turn out too bad, and eventually they'll provide you GRANDKIDS!!! and grandkids are the best, ain't nothin quite like em - one of those things you have to experience to appreciate. i've logged alot of miles with one in the baby carrier - she's become my favorite hiking partner. nothing like slogging up some switchbacks, gasping for air, and having her pur her hands on my elbows and say "let's go - YAY !!!"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster