Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Si Creek Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostTue May 28, 2002 7:32 am 
From the WTA Trip Reports..... May 20, 2002 by Jay H. Mount Si - The Alpine Lakes Very nice hike, not allot of foot traffic today. Spotted a very large woodpecker, two chipmunks and several birds. Was a bit disappointed as I reached the summit some clouds had moved in and blocked the view, but no rain! I also met the Mount Si volunteer trail keeper and helped clear some downed trees. On the way down he suggested I take the Creek trail, it's new and has much less traffic and is the same distance as the old trail. Happy Hiking!! Warning flags: Blow-down, Mud-holes Does anyone know about the "Creek trail" mentioned here?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue May 28, 2002 6:26 pm 
No, what about this new trail? How new and where is it and how do you get there?

Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostWed May 29, 2002 8:27 am 
I wish I knew Catwoman. Maybe Jay H. monitors this board and will enlighten us. The only creek-related trail on Mt. Si that I know of is the one signed "To Stream" just below Snag Flat. However it does not descend back to the trailhead. It traverses over to the Mt. Teneriffe road. (As of the last time I hiked it about a year and a half ago).

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostWed May 29, 2002 12:31 pm 
I've heard there are 4 trails up Mt Si. I spent a bunch of time looking for them a few years ago, but since have moved on to other places. Like the Issaquah Alps, Mailbox, and the Defiance area, there are people hacking out new trails up there. They seem like good places to add more trails since they are so close to Pugetropolis. Gives variety when there isn't time to drive far. Those with "discover new stuff" syndrome can wander places quiet and wild delight.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 6:08 pm 
Creek Trail?
I seem to remember seeing a book all about the trails on Mt. Si at REI. Maybe that would have some info about this "Creek Trail"? Also, has anyone asked at the North Bend Ranger Station about additional trails up Mt. Si? Or do they want to keep everyone on the main trail, so they refuse to give out information? I don't know what the FS viewpoint on that might be.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 6:04 am 
I found it! Follow the trail down to the creek just below Snag flat. (~1950 ft.) Cross the creek and continue to a beautiful view of the Snoqualmie valley as the trail crosses a large talus slope. (.4 mi) The trail continues east another .6 mi, then west about a mile to a T. Turn left to go to Mt. Teneriffe road, right takes you a short distance to the new Mt. Si trail at about 1250 ft. Saw no other hikers on this nice Sunday. The trail is in very good condition. Much of it appears to be old road bed. The well-built rock retaining walls and steps indicate it was built to last. CCC I wonder?

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 2:43 pm 
So this Creek Trail is really just a roundabout trail that connects to the main trail at 1250 and 1950 feet? It sounds like if it also connects to the Mt. Teneriffe road, it might be a nice alternative to use this road as a trailhead and connect up to the main trail right there below Snag Flat. Does the start of this trail at the Mt. Teneriffe road start out at the same elevation as the main trail, or does it start higher? Also, how much distance would this add onto the entire hike?

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 4:00 pm 
I'm totally confused..... you get up to 1950 feet, then drop to 1250 ft, to go back up to the top of Si? confused.gif

Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 4:07 pm 
Mt. Si creek trail
Yes, this trail branches off from the Mt. Teneriffe road at 1250 ft. just before the steep switchbacks begin. I think it would add about a mile to the Mt. Si hike. A great loop would be to walk Mt. Teneriffe road to the Kamikaze falls trail at ~1 mile 1200 ft. where it goes up to the right next to a creek, then up past the falls to the summit. Then down the regular "trail" to the saddle above Rachor lake and up the ridge to point 4606 (no trail), then backtrack to the road and over to Crater Lake Mountain, then to Haystack ridge. Follow the new Mt. Si trail to the 3800 ft. intersection with the old trail and follow it to the Northwest Passage trail at 2300 ft. (refer to Robert DeGraw's "Secrets of Si" book), then down about .5 mi. to Snag Flat and follow the Creek trail back to Mt Teneriffe road. Whew! I get tired just thinking about it. It would sure be nice if there was a connection between Mt. Teneriffe and Green Mountain. You could loop around up there for days.

Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 4:12 pm 
Sorry about the confusion Cat Woman, it branches off the new Mt. Si trail at 1250 ft., then contours and climbs to Snag Flat at 1950 ft. dizzy.gif