Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > NWHIKERS.ORG
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 30, 2003 3:56 pm 
Tom wrote:
I just don't understand how going on a hike would support an "organization" and thus qualify as a tax deductible expense? Let's assume I'm the IRS auditing you. Explain to me why I should let you deduct your trail park pass, food, gas, etc. for any of your hikes.
IMO just going on a hike would NOT be enough (well maaayybe if you were really volunteering to find where trail maintainance is required for WTA). You would have to be fulfilling a tax exempt purpose. For example, if you were leading a tour for a 501(c)(3) with an educational purpose, then IMO that would qualify. If you were doing trail maintainance, then that would qualify. If cataloging peaks and lakes is a legitimate educational or scientific purpose and you were really doing that then IMO that would qualify. This board might meet the educational purpose already. Lord knows I learn a lot from it. If so, that might cover your expenses and Mike's, but as I said the administrative costs of creating and maintaining a 501(c)(3) would probably be greater than the tax effect of your deductions. IMO www.nwhikers.org would need a real exempt purpose and anyone taking a deduction would really have to be volunteering to fulfil that purpose in order to take a deduction without "crossing the line." As a practical matter, if you get audited and the IRS determines certain expenses are not deductible, then they will just adjust your return and ask you to pay the additional tax and possibly penalties. IRS prosecutions have been plummeting since 1987 LINK DISCLAIMER: The foregoing is intended for conversational purposes only. The author has not been paid for and does not intend it as professional advice...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 30, 2003 4:15 pm 
I'm done. Looking at the things I and others have posted over the past few days, it is clear the heat (or not hiking on such nice days) has made some of us delerious embarassedlaugh.gif doh.gif shakehead.gif eek.gif clown.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 30, 2003 5:37 pm 
Dudes, go do some real volunteer work and stop trying to get out of paying taxes!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 30, 2003 6:00 pm 
Quark wrote:
It doesn't have to be a (c)3 designation if all Tom needs are funds to keep the site running. Not all non-profits are charities that need to provide anything to the public. Homeowner's associations, the arts, sailing clubs, car clubs, etc. are all not-for-profits without the 501(c)3 designation.
You sure the arts provide nothing to the public!? Pfft! Typical American! I pee on you from great heights!

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 9:39 am 
QUARK!! Do you and Tom get together to balance check books and talk about the tax code?

Art is an adventure.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 10:51 am 
For the record, I pay loads of taxes (I should probably try even harder to find and record additional deductions), give a lot to charity and volunteer time I don't have AND I bought the Makah pass. (I might even throw in the towl on the NW Forest pass, too, since Congress is just going to keep extending it.) The idea of wasting the Makah pass's remaining useful life is what prompted me to start the PassAround post--not the desire to save a buck. The Makah made it an annual permit and made if easily transferrable. If an organization chooses to issue long-term transferable passes and permits, I don't see anything wrong with sharing them. Not sharing them would be a waste IMO. If that hurts the organization's revenues, then it should issue passes or permits to an individual person (name) or vehicle (license palte number). If that makes me cheap, so be it... Anyway, I already plead insanity here doh.gif I was hot, bored and would rather have been hiking than "working". I also work in the tax compliance industry, so I often fall into "gaming" the system based on theory (although nonprofits are outside my area of expertise). In this case, I don't think it would have worked in practice, because we don't really have any charitable purpose and no one is really volunteering. As to taxpayer support of the arts--that would be a great subject for another saloon thread, since we're tackling controversial topics this week.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 8:14 pm 
Quote:
You sure the arts provide nothing to the public!? Pfft! Typical American! I pee on you from great heights!
I had to check the avatar to make sure it was't --- saying that. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 8:31 pm 
DJ wrote:
As to taxpayer support of the arts--that would be a great subject for another saloon thread, since we're tackling controversial topics this week.
On a Federal level, there essentially is no more funding for the arts. We have the distinction, I think, of being the only developed country in the world that lacks any sort of significant arts endowment. Fact is, there are two things that mark history for a culture. One is politics and war, and the other is the art. Right now we are spending a billion a week on number one, and in 2002 the NEA gave out 26 million dollars in grants.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 11:04 pm 
Stefan wrote:
QUARK!! Do you and Tom get together to balance check books and talk about the tax code?
Hehe. I can totally see Tom doing that. biggrin.gif jab.gif

Quarkk

Quarkk
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:34 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Oh, baby....the heck with French...talk tax code to me and I'm putty in the hand.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster