18%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 43

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 4:32 pm 
treewalker wrote:
so it sounds like you just take whatever you like from christianity and then for whatever you don't like you just throw in whatever new age ideas you come up with to make yourself feel better.
It is similar to when you adopt parts of political belief systems and moral laws. You're a Libertarian at some points as an example. I don't think anyone can claim to have a belief system based wholly on original thought. All people must draw from what is in existence, even the fact that you think in English denotes the US influence on your personality. New age, christian, marxist, etc are all labels for schools of thought and I think you would be hard pressed to define yourself purely in one category at all times. I am not a church goer because I don't believe in the institution of 'church' as a way to guide my personal spirituality. However that does not restrain me from looking at some of their moral codes and considering if they fit into the faith I have developed for myself. I would never assume you were a "trekkie" simply because you dream about outerspace etc, I would just take into account that you are influenced by the images of society around you. Considering different theologies, politics or moral stances doesn't make you a hypocrite or less intelligent, it makes you a continuously learning human!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 4:49 pm 
treewalker wrote:
so it sounds like you just take whatever you like from christianity and then for whatever you don't like you just throw in whatever new age ideas you come up with to make yourself feel better. I don't mean to offend but is this basically typical of most christians?
Treewalker, what you describe is closer to a cult, particularly if you replace the word "christianity" above with "the bible". I'll go out on a limb and say there are people in this world who label themselves christians who probably aren't. Perahps that is what is confusing you. It's actually pretty simple (biblical scholars, go gentle on me paranoid.gif ). You believe Christ was the son of God, died for your sins, and have accepted him as your savior (Christian) or you don't (not a Christian).
treewalker wrote:
Like... they say they are christian because they enjoy whatever social benefits that provides
Can you elaborate on this? I suppose I could envision some social benefits in the bible belt but not around here.

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 4:55 pm 
treewalker - what's wrong with taking what one thinks is appropriate from one religion and combining it with whatever else they feel is the way it is? I think that's exactly what people should be doing - at least if that's what they feel! I think there are bits and pieces of truth to every religion, yet I don't agree with any one of them completely. I also agree with alot of what you call "new age" beliefs. Everyone's beliefs are their own. There is no need to give it a title.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 8:01 pm 
I quote Neil Diamond.
Quote:
I am, I said To no one there And no one heard at all, not even the chair I am, I cried I am, said I And I am lost and I can't even say why...

Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 8:13 pm 
Does ANYONE listen to Neil Diamond? BTW Polarbear, what happened to Corcovado? I used to listen to it while reading your posts!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 9:19 pm 
I know God exists, for I have felt his icy breath as it flowed over me from a high mountain glacier. I have felt his baleful glare in the heat of the sun on my back. I have reveled in his crashing cacaphony where the sea has met the land. I have marvelled at the infinity of him on a dark night, endless worlds and galaxies displayed. This is why we are here, to wonder, to admire, to appreciate, to inquire of, to love, his creation. Amen.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 9:33 pm 
Thank you. I composed that right as I typed it, and rereading it I think I may have for once actually written something worth reading!

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 9:44 pm 
Florida, Neil Diamond had some great tunes, which I not only listen to but occasionally sing along with hockeygrin.gif . Consider the following. Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show Sweet Caroline Cracklin' Rose Forever in Blue Jeans Desiree I'm a Believer (if your are agnostic then you might not like this song at all) Yesterday's Songs Corcovado is one of my favorite songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim. for anyone not familiar with his music, the English title is Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars. The English lyrics area towards the bottom of this link. Here is a short biography. Picture of Corcovado Hill. If you know that song, you might want to get one of his cd's. My favorite is Rio Revisted. He wrote alot of music that became popular in the U.S. (Wave, One Note Samba, Desafinado) If I can find that link, I'll put it back again. Of course The Night Chicago Died is also one of my favorites biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 9:44 pm 
vistaclimber, you have to have met Slugman to have gotten the full effect. He speaks with inflections that add a little something extra. I could hear them as I read that prose. I think he may moonlight as a talk radio host.

Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 10:10 pm 
After reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Dumas (note Dumas street in the ghost town), I can't decide if I'm a Bonapartist or Royalist. Religious choices are not always easy to make. Maybe I'm a Jardinist.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 10:51 pm 
I am not a religious person, but I saw on the news today something about some church paying people to go? Hmmm... I may become religious real quick! paranoid.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 11:01 pm 
Going back to Tom's post about creation, I really don't care how and why humans came into existance. The way I see it, whether a big old dude in a white toga pointed his finger and said "and now to create some talking apes for my amusement", or whether it was a freak of nature, the way I live my life won't be any different. I don't have any theories on how we came to be per say, but I guess the one I subscribe to the most is the idea of spontaneous combustion of life. Given the immensely incomprehensible size of the universe, the conditions were bound to eventually occur where life could begin. And simple math says that this can't possibly have been the only place.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 31, 2003 11:42 pm 
Outstanding work, Vistaclimber. I got a chill looking at that. By the way, how do you make the presentation go at a reasonable speed?

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 12:03 am 
That is a great poem Slugman! What gorgeous shots and presentation VC!! up.gif

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 12:09 am 
Slugman wrote:
I know God exists, for I have felt his icy breath as it flowed over me from a high mountain glacier. I have felt his baleful glare in the heat of the sun on my back. I have reveled in his crashing cacaphony where the sea has met the land.
That's not God, that's Nature. smile.gif Seriously, nature is my relgion. Being in the mountains to me is like being in church. That's when I pay my homage and respect.