30%  [ 13 ]
Atheist
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 43

treewalker

treewalker
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 11:00 am 
yeah I suppose if I am to be completely honest that there is some jealousy I have for the social benefits that membership in exclusive clubs provides. I always hated the popular cliques because they thought I was a dork etc... But I also truly believe that having exclusive cliques period in a society is a bad thing. It leads to disparity and turmoil and warfare. The nation/state is the ultimate exclusive group, and if we didn't have those, if we didn't have separate cultures, if we didn't have separate races and religions then I feel like the world would be a better place and I am striving towards that goal. In that sense I congratulate you on marrying an atheist because it meant you were marrying outside of your exclusive community, which is what everyone needs to start doing in order to eventually bring about peace. I think having separate cultures and diversity and all that in our history is a beautiful thing to be able to reflect on, and traditions should be carried forward, but not in an exclusive fashion. When you so strongly identify with a particular group, even though the world is so interconnected now, I think it just causes problems. The luxury of "being a jew" or "being an arab" or "being a christian" is a legacy that we need to evolve beyond and realize that we are all just part of the human race. It worked to be separate when there wasn't much interchange of ideas, resources and opportunities for global destructive warfare like there are now. All that separateness needs to be confined to the dust bin of the past. Slightly related topic: I feel that some of the ego-guilt that prevents some from having children can be alleviated if you mate with someone of another race, because you are doing your part to blend the races together and eventually eliminate racism.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 12:58 pm 
treewalker wrote:
The luxury of "being a jew" or "being an arab" or "being a christian" is a legacy that we need to evolve beyond and realize that we are all just part of the human race.
What "luxury" are you referring to? Ask any arab living in this country and you'll see it's no luxury, nor was it before 911. Jews have been hated throughout history. Your distorted view of reality reminds me of that Saturday Night Live skit where Eddie Murphy dresses up as a white man on the bus and discovers the party begins when last African American gets off. Race is genetic. Being a Christian is a choice. What do you mean by "evolve beyond"? Sounds intolerant to me.

treewalker

treewalker
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 7:31 pm 
what did I say about the Chinese??? man I must have missed my lollipop. I still think blending of cultures and races is a good idea. Racism will never disappear until races do. Don't worry it will happen in an eye blink evolutionarily, and we will live in one big happy combined culture. Either that or we will destroy the planet and ourselves long before that happens. Maybe the small number of survivors will get it right.

treewalker

treewalker
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 7:33 pm 
there's a concept in biology called "hybrid vigor" which implies that when "strains" of different genes combine, the strongest attributes of both are selected for continuation. Also individuals recieving the combined genes often show a strange precociousness and enhanced life. Maybe cultural memes also have this feature, that when combined they form better and longer lasting cultural ideas.

treewalker

treewalker
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 10:34 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
treewalker wrote:
Either that or we will destroy the planet and ourselves long before that happens. Maybe the small number of survivors will get it right.
I almost hope that the small number of survivors are not humans, we're a pretty screwy sort to say the least.
Now if that isn't a stance which completely disrespects the entire human species, I don't know what is. At least I feel that our potential is worth preserving.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 11:51 pm 
treewalker wrote:
the lykkens wrote:
I almost hope that the small number of survivors are not humans, we're a pretty screwy sort to say the least.
Now if that isn't a stance which completely disrespects the entire human species, I don't know what is. At least I feel that our potential is worth preserving.
I was being casually facetious and I think it is difficult for you who advocates abortion as a form of BC to come out at anyone else about respecting the human species and its preservation. But I've learned that only you can make a statement that is a little off the wall, the rest of us better think ours through before putting it in your court. I'm outta this thread, my impatience is beginning to show through.

treewalker

treewalker
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 6:58 am 
hey, everyone jumps down my throat when i do it so i was just returning the favor. I guess my moral stance on "killing" in general is that the more of a "life" that individual has, the more of a crime it should be. By life I mean in the sense of "get a life". A fetus has no life in terms of, friends, hobbies etc... so it's not a person yet. It's those trappings of consciousness and culture that make someone human and make killing into murder, in my opinion.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 11:55 am 
You fetus killing lovers of humanity crack me up. I can't think of a more contradictory position. Last week when my wife informed that I might have become a father again-BC breakdown there-and I contemplated that I might have done it again, that child was alive to me-when she peed on the stick and it came up negative, I was dissappointed evenb though I have vowed not to spawn again for I had already spent some time thinking about the future of another human being and its awesome potentiality on this planet.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 12:03 pm 
While I am open to the possabilities which many different religions present, I am not an active follower of any. Sometimes I feel that people get to wrapped up in the dogma of their religions and forget the bigger picture. I envy people with faith and conviction because I'm sure it provides great comfort. I would just like to see religious and non-religious people be a little more tolerant of each other's beliefs.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm 
Quote:
It's those trappings of consciousness and culture that make someone human and make killing into murder, in my opinion
The trappings of consiousness an culture had flavor to humanity but in no way make someone human. I'm just as human if I'm having a hotdog and beer at the Mariners game as I am being piled into a boxcar headed for Auschwitz.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster