Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Direction of NWhikers.net
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Concerned Hiker

Concerned Hiker
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 11:18 am 
Howdy gang, This forum has changed in the past week or two. Instead of being focussed on hiking, it's now focused on everything else. That's cool for some ... except 99% of the discussion is between about 10-15 people, and it's a big turnoff to potential new readers. In fact I got a comment from a hiking buddy that this board has gotten out of hand. How about setting up a new forum, with a link from this NWhikers forum prominently displayed? With it separate, the newbies won't be turned off by the saloon talk, and the regular contributors with lots of time, who enjoy the repartee with fellow hikers, can argue to their hearts' content.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 11:22 am 
There's definitely been a lack of hiking topics lately, but that will change. I think a lot of people (myself included) don't get out much in the summer because it's too hot and buggy and crowded. There's usually lots of good hiking chatter here in the fall. The point is taken about the non-hiking topics, though. I'll let Tom decided what/if he wants to do about it, but I'll make sure the non-hiking topics stay in the Saloon so they're at least easier to avoid for those not interested.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 11:29 am 
Welcome to the board smile.gif Just stay out of the saloon, there's a brawl going on wink.gif Tom, this does not bug me (I'm having fun) and I don't know how you feel, but another forum I frequent is set up so the "saloon" equivalent does not show up in "todays active topics". Assuming you wanted to do something like that, will this forum's software permit it?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 12:09 pm 
Steve, you have so much to offer us. If the talk of things other than hiking concern you so much (and over the years you have constantly complained of it) then why not start a thread from time to time? On this board, we have largely kept non-hiking discussions in the Saloon.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 12:11 pm 
embarassedlaugh.gif Oops--didn't check the iP redface.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 12:42 pm 
marylou wrote:
Steve, you have so much to offer us. If the talk of things other than hiking concern you so much (and over the years you have constantly complained of it) then why not start a thread from time to time? On this board, we have largely kept non-hiking discussions in the Saloon.
ditto.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 1:04 pm 
lol.gif If you don't want to read a topic, don't click on it. It's even easier than skipping over those guest posts. hmmm.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 1:26 pm 
Anyone who thinks this board is out of control hasn't spent any time at CC. dizzy.gif

Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 1:29 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Anyone who thinks this board is out of control hasn't spent any time at CC. dizzy.gif
...or any number of other online forums. This one is pretty darned civil, despite occasional name-calling. www.nwhikers.net rules! up.gif smile.gif agree.gif

Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 3:27 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
...it was the interaction between BPJoe and ML that drew me into reading some of the other topics...
Yea, there's definitely some chemistry there lol.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 8:01 pm 
I don't think its as bad it might seem. You can't get opposite sides on subjects like religion or politics without some heated debates. I know I have fun, and hold no grudges. I dish it out, and I can take it, too. The only way to "civil up" the board completely would be to ban some controversial subjects. What would be the benefit of that? My personal belief is that anything short of cuss words or threats is OK. However, I defer to the Admin and senior members on policy.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 9:51 pm 
Actually I think one of the charms of this board is that it has the saloon stuff along with the hiking news. The mix is what initially drew me to this board, and what keeps me logging in. I just don't read the stuff that doesn't interest me.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Concerned Hiker

Concerned Hiker
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 10:35 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Um... good debating technique! Hmmm... somehow my point didn't get across (the part about hikers being turned off). Oh well! No biggie... but I got email from at least two regular, quality posters complaining about NWhikers. I just had the nerve to mention it. The quality suffers when the noise level rises. Stand back for a minute... take a look at what is here... if new, would you stay here long? Is it advancing the sport? Or is it a way to boost one's ego to wax profoundly on worn-out subjects? This concerned hiker doesn't really care, but is playing devils advocate just for the heck of it. There are over 500 registered and probably many more who just read, plus a few rogue guests. Here's the top 25 posters. Is the quality of posts inversely related to the quantity? Backpacker Joe 1843 Tom 1649 MCaver 1216 marylou 1165 polarbear 932 Newbie Newt 867 MtnGoat 865 DJ 765 Pappy 761 catwoman 756 Sore Feet 634 Stefan 615 McPilchuck 606 Salish 567 sarbar 451 Larry 417 Randy 392 Malachai Constant 390 Mike Collins 365 MooseAndSquirrel 328 Scrooge 326 Slugman 320 Bushwacker 314 JimK 312 Brian Curtis 299 (Be interesting to see stats on the last few weeks...)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 10:46 pm 
Concerned Hiker wrote:
Is the quality of posts inversely related to the quantity?
The number of posts by user is a bit dubious for your point because most the highest posters have been here the longest. If you want to calculate the posts/day, that might be relevant. I'd be curious what your own numbers would be in your many guises and whether it fits your above quote as well.

Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 10:54 pm 
Concerned Hiker wrote:
Is the quality of posts inversely related to the quantity?
Where is the rule about quality of posts listed? I guess I missed that one! Sometimes people make a joke or just use an emoticon. That is the fun of it. Why does everything have to be so structured on an internet forum?

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller