Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 10:57 pm 
Quote:
Guests: Dufus, SteveF, Phil Tear, Poor but Em-pathetic, Powder Puff, Count, Numb Brr, Crampa, France Liszt, Steve F., Rhodes Scholar, Pair o' Cheaters, middleforker, Raj Ardeen, Casper Milquetoast, Casper Milktoes, Gar and Brill, Mark Twain, Marked Twine, Amos Gunn, Eschewer, Litter A. List, Sawyer, Chew E., Sev N. Tease, Boss Festus, Lie Twait, Speck Tickle, Ed U. Katid, Louis VI, Frank N. Stein, Hugh G. Trey, Yelling Ham, Radar Jeans, Planet Earth, BMeR Vrooms, Damsel Adams, L. M. Entry Party Call, Bread Fleckey, L. Cheepoh, Peeved Stool, Dufus to Quirk, D. B. Cooper, Phil M. Up, Bman, Big Doof, Bootstrap, Hotlips climbing bum, Bass Awkwards, Beethoven, The Rappin' Mr. Ed, Mr. Ed.... neigh!, BeatHorsen, ---, Sno Chewer, Geek God, Sir Vayor, Snow Stomper, ribbonlegs, Land Lover, S. Eweveigh, Alfred E Neuman, Bold R Reever, U. R. Peon, Hairy Doppler, routerlegs, Doofus, Pop Warmer, Highker, Mr. Responcible, Errin' Spelling, El Cid The Kid, Sister Mary Grumpy, Perfect 10, Sister Mary English, Webbie, Femme fatale, Mesh R. Mint, Tear E. Ocki, X.R. Size, Chas. Chafer, equatorialbear, Fiscally Fit, Sour Trout, Globetrotter, Snowbunny, Slowpope, Path O. Logical, Slewpuke, Technogeek, Bozo, Whiner, Max Born, Ira Sponcible, Jeep East, Monte Cristo, Vern Noulli, Share F., Shakespeare, Walkabout Roundabout, Tahoma, Less S. Moore, Uncle Si, Liebnitz, Helen, Stove Fix, Devils Club Advocate, Festus D. Minor, Third Finger, Concerned Hiker, Chuck O'Lotte
Speaking of quality in quantity. embarassedlaugh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nameless in Washington

Nameless in Washington
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 11:26 pm 
Awe c'mon, that can't be even a quarter of 'em! Point ain't getting across, so never mind. Going hiking and hope y'all are too!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 12:03 am 
Concerned Hiker wrote:
Sore Feet wrote:
Anyone who thinks this board is out of control hasn't spent any time at CC. dizzy.gif
Um... good debating technique!
Why thank you. hockeygrin.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 6:29 am 
woo hoo! I made the top ten! toothless.gif

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 11:47 am 
I think this is a great site with lots of excellent hiking info plus some interesting political commentary by some people who really think about the world around them. What passes for flame wars around here are pretty mild and for the most part done with a degree of respect for differences of opinion. It doesn't hurt that I'm about as conservative a guy as there is on this site and I voted for Clinton. (twice) shakehead.gif One of the best things I've learned here is ultra light hiking--some of the advice and experience I've garnered here have contributed a great deal to my hiking enjoyment. And anyone who says that any post by Brian Curtis lacks quality would be a sheer idiot--I've learned more about fish, for example, from him than I could have learned short of getting a marine biology degree.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
foggy

foggy
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 4:03 pm 
Yes, I know what you mean, and I'm one of the guilty parties. I guess why I go off in different directions is because this is a site for us NW people, it's good to communicate with neighbors, if you will, even if it's everyday b.s. that goes on. I like the versatility of this site.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 12:19 pm 
After thinking about this, I'm beginning to agree a little more with the original poster. I think some of the unrelenting non-hiking related debates tend to drain people of the energy to talk about what brings us here in the first place. I'm a little leery of excluding the saloon entirely because there is often hiking related content and "fun" topics that bring the community together instead of dividing it. However, for those that want to exclude the saloon entirely from the active topics, just add &search_cat=1 to the end of any of the active topic links (see the dropdown to the top right) and bookmark the link. I think there more practical ways to make everyone happy and want to get some feedback on the following idea: an option to flag topics you don't want to show up in the active topics list. For example, if seeing "First Amendment, Second Amendment" rise to the top makes you ill, you could just click on a little icon beside it to have it not show up again in the active topics link (the topic would still show up in the forum with an option to make it re-appear in the active topics in case you changed your mind).

paps

paps
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 12:33 pm 
I'm getting a bit weary of it too. But I'm wondering why there are so many hiking related threads in the Saloon?

Dante

Dante
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 12:52 pm 
Tom wrote:
...for those that want to exclude the saloon entirely from the active topics, just add &search_cat=1 to the end of any of the active topic links (see the dropdown to the top right) and bookmark the link.
Cool! Thanks!
Tom wrote:
an option to flag topics you don't want to show up in the active topics list. For example, if seeing "First Amendment, Second Amendment" rise to the top makes you ill, you could just click on a little icon beside it to have it not show up again in the active topics link (the topic would still show up in the forum with an option to make it re-appear in the active topics in case you changed your mind).
That sounds good, too. As I said on page one, another forum I frequent is set up so the "saloon"-equivalent does not show up in "todays active topics". If you want to discuss a topic unrelated to the theme og the board, you have to go to the saloon-equivelent. Still, that "saloon" got so out of hand that the admin. decided to circumscribe the subject matter. I know I've been one of the offenders. Things have been slow at work. They are picking up now, so I probably won't be posting as much for a while (please keep any flames, applause, etc. to yourselves wink.gif ). I've had a great time dicussing various non-hiking topics with people here. That said, I know it can get divisive, particularly when people choose to make it personal and start name-calling, impugning people's character, labeling people (I've been guilty of that one at least once--sorry Catwoman smile.gif ), etc.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 12:54 pm 
what I can't figure out is why anybody with the energy to complain about saloon threads, reads them in the first place!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 1:16 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
what I can't figure out is why anybody with the energy to complain about saloon threads, reads them in the first place!
I skim them to ensure civility is being maintained, otherwise I don't really read them, particularly the political debates. I'd guess for other people it's analagous to an argument going on in another room with the door closed. You may not be listening to or participating in the discussion, but don't want to be constantly reminded of it throughout the day either - hence the option to make it go away if you want.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 1:46 pm 
I don't agree "concerned hiker". I like how everyone is keeping the "off topics" in the Saloon. Hell, there are A LOT more topics about life than there are topics specifically about backpacking or hiking. So you should expect more topics and discussin in the Saloon. One neat thing about the Saloon: Everyone who participates in the Saloon is still interested in hiking and getting into the outdoors. We all have one thing in common!

Art is an adventure.
concerned hiker

concerned hiker
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 5:17 pm 
paps wrote:
I'm getting a bit weary of it too. But I'm wondering why there are so many hiking related threads in the Saloon?
Yeah, let's get rid of the hiking related threads in Saloon. They don't belong here! Back to politics and what kind of sandals you think are the best.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 6:02 pm 
I got tired of them awhile back. Somehow I learned to stop looking at most of them. If I miss something hiking related, my loss. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 6:03 pm 
I agree with Stefan. That's precisely why the Saloon is there. Especially for those of us who don't have co-workers to bs with, it's nice to have someone to discuss issues that are important to us. And, as with everything, it seems to go through phases. This one happens to be related to certain big issues. The topics will change. In the words of the Beatles..... Let it be!