Forum Index > Trail Talk > Brush - Where is it really bad?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 20, 2002 8:30 pm 
The brush is really bad on the western shore, er cliff, of Deep Lake. rant.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 4:48 am 
You mean really GOOD dont you Pbear? Besides, what the heck are you doing down there whenst you should be on the ridge/rock up above? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 9:50 am 
I would have to say the worst areas for brush in this state are in the SE Olympics, Index, and Silverton areas. Here are my top three worst brush bashes. #3) The 500 feet of elevation gain up to Red Mountain from the Elk Creek Basin. Through 5-10 year old replanted trees. Trailing blackberry bushes everywhere--even on top of hidden downed trees. #2) Silver Gulch. This has got to be the official Washington State Slide Alder farm. #1) The abandoned trail to Nooksack Cirque. I know the trail is in better shape now, but after a December ice storm several years ago, the alder trees collapsed and clogged the abandoned road. It took us 6 hours to go 2.5 miles up that thing.

Art is an adventure.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 6:39 pm 
I would agree with Stefan about the Olympic brush, however, I gather some of the worst brush in the state is into Azure Lake beneath McMillan Spire and Southern Pickets up Stetattle Creek...anybody been there?

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 7:17 pm 
Played around up to the end of the Azure trail, but didnt go in any further. I have heard that it tests one's proper constitution to be sure! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostMon Jan 21, 2002 7:55 pm 
I'll show my age an repeat the story. We went approximately one hour past Torrent Creek. Don't believe any map that shows a trail near Torrent. Trail is lost WAY before that. Many down BIG trees in that valley requiring taxing detours when you are trying to stay on a contour. Many side gulley streams that were class 4 dirt and moss if you know what I mean. We tried up the creek, next to the creek, 1/4th mile above creek. It all sucked. As you get past Torrent Cr it gets continuously steeper and brushier. We got shredded. But we bedded down in a pretty remote a spot - which was cool. Beautiful creeks, trees, etc

PostTue Jan 22, 2002 6:52 am 
Ok, so you aren't mind readers. Last post was a response to McP,s post and I was referring to a trip up Stettatle Cr attempting to reach Eruza Lake. This trip was in between the 1st and 2nd publishing of Red-Fred. First copy says something about being a preferred route to McMillan cirque. Second one says it's a horrible route. Like to think I had something to do with that change because I met Beckey at a party (not that I'm some big-timer - cuz I ain't) told him what I experienced and he laughed.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 2:40 pm 
Pappy, I think you are so right about Azure. I know Norm Burke and Dan Sjolseth, two frineds of mine (perhaps yours as well) with a great many Top 100 Washington Ascents) went in there that same route, took them forever, too. Norm says to this day, their feet never touched the ground (in long segments) as they walked on slide alder and vine maple, etc. most of the upper middle area route. Sounds like shades of the Olympics? Another friend, Mike Swayne, who had a first ascent of Mt. Terror North Face in 1961 via Goodell Creek with Ed Cooper, Chuck Bell, and Dave Hiser, said it's a "real nasty" brush-beater! I have been considering a go of it with partner Mark Boyle this next summer, but I am not so sure, and may just opt for a view into it from the ridge and peaks beyond Elephant Butte.

PostTue Jan 22, 2002 7:52 pm 
McP, I think you can get there from that ridge. But it's a long trek. Taken a number of stabs at it with no success. Under-estimated the distance once, weather'd off twice, sick partner twice, lost motivation and became very dehydrated in hot weather once, bogged down by out of shape tag-alongs once. (Should have dumpd them). But it'll go if you put it the time. Lonesome place. And the avalanche slopes look enormous from above. biggrin.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 9:46 pm 
Great photo IBEX, now post a picture of Azure Lake so everyone can just do it as an armchair hike. wink.gif

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 10:20 pm 
Glad to see the "timber cone" tactic brought up on this link. I've often been bailed out of brush hells by aiming for the big trees. The theme song for timber-coning is "stairway to heaven". Hey Scrooge, the aerial photos look promising for that last push up to Twin Lakes from TC. Timber cones ahoy.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 10:34 pm 
HEY, what aerial photos? Let us in on it!!!!!

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 12:00 am 
Great shots IBEX, thanks for posting those. Sometimes I wonder if I should be spending 90% of time scouring every inch of the ALW. A great area don't get me wrong, but it seems as if there are some really sweet wanderings to be had further north.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 12:21 am 
Great wonderful shots IBEX, simply grand! The Pickets are really obscure and remote. You seem to have done some pretty outstanding climbs, and I suspect I know of you but I am not so sure about that as I don't know anyone named IBEX...<grin>. For a good read on the Pickets, specifically Mt. Terror, see...http://www.alpinequest.com/first.htm

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 10:59 pm 
waah.gif That is bad news indeed. I've always wanted to go to Luna Lake. waah.gif