Forum Index > Trail Talk > mt. sigh
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Feb 26, 2002 9:23 pm 
Salish--I have to agree with you. Maybe(?) I'm just a wimp, but I think Mt. Si is tough too. I've done it about 4 times--I hate the trail, but sometimes it's the only thing to do, and the views are interesting at the top. If you circle around the rock pile below the haystack to the north, there are some neat pinnacle type shots...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 8:47 am 
Polarbear - I didn't know you couldn't respond to messages in the Trip Report section. Yes, I thought Si was a great workout. My first hike since last fall. I must have taken a dozen rest breaks. Near the top I was shamed by seeing what was probably a 70 year old man inching his way down from the top on instep crampons, with a worried look on his face. He was scandinavian and I had trouble understanding what he was saying, but I think it had to do with warning me about the ice. He seemed to be doing ok. Anyway, I felt like a real wimp, whining to myself about sore legs, lungs, back, etc. I'll be heading back before the snow melts, so thanks for that info about area to the north of Haystack. I think I'm going to head up Little Si on Friday. I probably should have reversed the order. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 10:19 am 
I've only been up Si a couple times - and about 5 years ago. Definitely a workout. Probably one reason people train for Rainier on it. In fact, I should probably do it again just to see how my fitness level has improved since then. I don't like the trail at all, though. I find it very uninteresting with nothing to look at but scraggly forest for 4 miles and little, if any, reward at the top. Not to mention it's crowded. And I've yet to be impressed with the views and sounds of I-90 from the top. That's what I want to get AWAY from! If there's better than that in a particular area of the top, then let me know! Maybe I should check out the haystack area?

MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 10:54 am 
I like the Mount Si trail. It is steep, gaining 1,000 vertical feet per horizontal mile. We used to run it for training in the spring, but have since changed to running West Tiger 3. It is so nice to have peaks that can not only give you a workout, but also a view, elevation, and some scrambling in our own back yards. Growing up in western Pennsylvania, what I would have given to have what so many take for granted here. The haystack is a nice Class 2/3 scramble, but true, there are nice small outcrops to the north of the haystack for hanging out, eating lunch, catching rays.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 11:15 am 
You hit the nail on the head, MW, as I have taken it for granted all my life. Both of my daughters went to college in Iowa and have decided to live there, for the time being, and I really miss the mountains when I'm there visiting them. We are truly blessed to have such wondrous mountains here. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostWed Feb 27, 2002 12:37 pm 
My opinion of Si is: If you are in shape or want to get in better shape, it's a good place to train. If you are an out of shape hiker, it's hard, but doable. If you aren't a hiker, like a lot of the afternoon traffic, whoa, they get spanked by that little mountain as they learn what elevation gain means. wink.gif Good job Salish!

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 9:06 pm 
Ok, I revisited Si today after about a 5 year absence. And it was actually pretty nice this time around! Maybe it was the snow or something, but it was perty up top! I'm still not thrilled with hearing I-90 the whole time, but other than that.... And in-step cramp-ons are definitely the ticket! It was slick up there! And, I've definitely improved in my fitness since I was up there years ago. I think I remember it taking me about 3 to 3 1/2 hrs back then and this time it took 2 hrs 15 minutes (counting my one semi-lengthy all-purpose break) and 2 hrs down (no breaks). And what is up with it taking just as long to get down as it does to get up?! Sheesh! Anybody else experience this phenomenon? Seems like that's the case with most of my hikes anymore. Probably because of my abused knees.

salish

salish
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 10:26 pm 
Catwoman, Mt. Si really is pretty up top, isn't it? You're right, I think it is the snow. I was at a farm in Fall City all afternoon today and was studying the Haystack face from below - exactly where I was looking down from last Tuesday. I was having a much faster trip coming down the mountain than I had going up, until my knee started hurting me. I use a knee strap called the "Cho-Pat" knee strap that applies even pressure to the patella tendon, but I left it at home on Tuesday. Usually, my descents are faster, but there is more wear & tear on my body than there is when I'm going uphill. Wish I could say my hiking time improved like yours, but I'd be fibbing..... Cliff

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 10:31 pm 
What about the Old Si Trail? That is the only way I go up anymore, no traffic, more vertical gain, and less mileage. Much more scenic and less muddy and crappy

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 10:36 pm 
Never been up it sorry to say, wanted to years ago, but since it became so popular I stayed away. I have a good friend who lives directly next to the trailhead and has a wonderful view of the mountain from his Kitchen. Perhaps, it's just a little out of my way, one reason why Pilchuck country is my bag...closer to home.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 11:33 pm 
I want to do the Old Si trail one of these days. It's on my 'list'. I was by myself today and I want to go the Old Si trail way with a companion.

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 8:48 pm 
The old trail is great in conjunctoin with the new one. You go up the old, down the new, up the new, and finally down the old trail to where you began. I used to do it a couple times a week. Now I do not have time. :angry:

Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 10:08 pm 
Hey, try to beat these times on the new trail: 49 to true summit. 27.5 minutes from bench overlooking freeway to parking lot.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostWed Mar 06, 2002 9:38 pm 
Quote:
Hey, try to beat these times on the new trail: 49 to true summit. 27.5 minutes from bench overlooking freeway to parking lot.
Best time to the true summit is 52 minutes while carrying 25% of body weight(40lbs in my case). I have come down in less than half an hour but it is abusive to my knees. They will not last me into my old age this way so I now take my time on the way down.

salish

salish
PostThu Mar 07, 2002 12:19 pm 
I should probably post this in the Pacific Northwest History room; last week when I was whining about Si being a pretty strenuous hike, I sent an email to a former "climber" coworker who retired a couple of years ago and whined some more. I mentioned something about "who the hell put 3500' elevation gain on that sucker"?, and I got a message back saying, "I did". My former coworker was part of the crew who surveyed the new trail and put it in place, in 1970. He said not to whine too much - he wanted the new trail to be 3500' in 3 miles, not 4. The other member wanted it to be 7 miles - they compromised. It's a small world....