Forum Index > Food & Grub > Wanted Pilot Bread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 8:57 pm 
lol.gif A two page thread on Pilot bread. That cracks me up. I forgot about that stuff. Tastes like rocks. Good thing about Pilot bread is you can leave it in your pack for a few months and it tastes just as good as when you bought it. It used to be a regular staple in my pack many years ago when I used to think the suffering part of hiking should extend into dinner time. Why do people insist on bringing crappy food with them hiking? I have never understood these things. Save your suffering for the trail. Eat like a king when you get there. Why bring Pilot bread when you can probably find an old shingle or root ball to gnaw on.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 9:12 pm 
I remember that skit PIB. It was a mock commercial about a cerial named "Quarry". You must be old too wink.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 9:19 pm 
Hey I started this thread. The stuff is great on long canoe trips as it lasts forever due to all the preservatives in addition you can crumble the tings and use them for breading on fried fish biggrin.gif. If you spread peanut butter on one it makes a full meal. Our kidz loved them and called them pie biscuits.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 10:19 pm 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
What the 'el is Pilot Bread?
Pilot "bread" are disc shaped bricks made of the same substance the ancient Egyptians used to build pyramids and mastabas. Pilot bread resists the effects of time, shock, abrasion, UV, and most human appetites. Pilot bread used to be fed to prisoners doing hard time before it was prohibited by international humanity laws.

Pipsissewa

Pipsissewa
PostSun Nov 12, 2006 5:44 pm 
Found this when I searched "pilot bread" "The history of Nabisco starts in 1792, when Pearson & Sons Bakery opened in Massachusetts to make "pilot bread," a tough and durable biscuit to sustain sailors on long journeys. One bad thing about Pilot crackers is they move slow on the grocery shelf, hence, they can smell just like the store you bought them from (QFC). Haven't figured out a way around that, except to put sardines and onion slices, anchovies, something overpowering, on them. Still have to hate them on the 7th day.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Nov 12, 2006 7:05 pm 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
So what the 'el is Pilot Bread? Shirley it's not the bread they serve in the cockpit of a 777.
Pilot bread is basically a big, hard, un-salted cracker. They hold up great in a backpack and I don't think they ever actually go bad.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Nov 12, 2006 9:36 pm 
Except that the lambasbread were supposed to be kind of tasty. lol.gif The best thing that can be said about pilot bread is that it's bland. It's tasty enough after a few days out with peanut butter or cheese, or whatever. But then again, after a few days out I'm not exactly picky about what food tastes like.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
touron

touron
PostSun Nov 12, 2006 9:39 pm 
Damian wrote:
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
What the 'el is Pilot Bread?
Pilot "bread" are disc shaped bricks made of the same substance the ancient Egyptians used to build pyramids and mastabas. Pilot bread resists the effects of time, shock, abrasion, UV, and most human appetites. Pilot bread used to be fed to prisoners doing hard time before it was prohibited by international humanity laws.
I think alot of cairns are made out of pilot bread. Why pack it out if you can help guide a hiker to their destination?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
mittelmana

mittelmana
PostMon Mar 03, 2008 3:09 pm 
pilot bread
You rock. Been looking for sbpb for a long time. Can't seem to find it here in Portland, OR. BTW, I used to live in Richmond and I know Interbake Foods well, there next to the Science Museum. I used to be a volunteer paramedic and made an occasional run to the factory. We loved the free cookies!

180pilot

180pilot
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 10:23 am 
Yes I'm a pilot, as "pilot crackers" cannot be found often South of Alaska, I've started packing Matzo Crackers, same formula, (flour/water), thinner, more varieties, including whole wheat. These can be had without salt and have no transfats. 2.5 year shelf life. Find them in Kosher section of Markets. They come in large 7" thin sheets, easier to break then PC, but if packed correctly hold up well.

ASBrauer
Nerd

ASBrauer
Nerd
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 10:37 am 
When I last checked the Central Market in Poulsbo also carries the Sailor Boy crackers. My mom and grandma are huge fans, and they are/were the only place in North/Central Kitsap to get them. Not the closest place to get 'em, but one could also stop at Sluys Bakery for something even tastier and far less healthy. smile.gif

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 10:39 am 
QFC around the corner from me carries them. Was sooo happy to find them again after these were a staple, and on some days the only thing I had to eat, for me when I worked in Alaska many years ago. No one's ever heard of them in Chicago...

reststep

reststep
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 5:41 pm 
I will have to check Central Market next time I am there or Dave Weywrick could let us know if they still have them. It doesn't taste too bad with some peanut butter but it is best, I have found, to make sure you have some water available to help wash it down. I believe I was first introduced to Pilot Bread on a Camp Parsons hike in the 50's.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
ASBrauer
Nerd

ASBrauer
Nerd
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 10:03 pm 
reststep wrote:
I will have to check Central Market next time I am there or Dave Weywrick could let us know if they still have them.
I'd forgotten that Dave is a member here! He's such a nice guy!

Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 10:08 pm 
So Razz: Around which corner?