Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > hiking with members of the opposite sex
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 3:04 pm 
Seems more and more that I'm seeing that people are not "allowed" (or whatever the terms...) to go out hiking or backpacking with poeple of the opposite sex by their SOs. This has been a recurring situation I've seen. I may be opening a huge can of worms here, but I'm curious as to why. In my case, my BF goes with me whenever he can, but he can't always, so I get out with other people quite often. I forget it's an issue and then it becomes a sort of problem again. That said, I generally don't share a tent with a guy other than my BF, but that has more to do with snoring than almost anything else. Maybe I'm incredibly naive, but in my mind, once you're in a relationship, getting out with people of the opposite sex should be no big deal. Am I missing something? Besides the opportunity to do as many trips as I want to, in large part due to a difficulty in finding partners? I do have some women I get out with, but not every one of them is into the sorts of trips I like to take.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 3:25 pm 
Marylou, no problem here, except a 2 person tent + earplugs is lighter than 2 tents. But getting back on topic... who is the loudest snorer: Erik the Nav, Randy, or Mtn Goat? My money is on Mtn Goat. winksmile.gif

foggy

foggy
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 3:36 pm 
I'm one of the lucky ladies. I go hiking with whoever I want too. My husband would love to go on every trip, but that's not reality with his work schedule, he says at least one of us are getting out and that's a good thing. Not only that, but I will come home and tell him whether it's a trail he would like or not. I guess I'm his guinea pig, so to speak. He has no problem with me bping with women or men, he knows me and trusts me, I would hope so after nearly a quarter century together. I probably would not share my tent with another guy either. Tom wants to know who snores the loudest, well it isn't any guy I know, but one of the women we went backpacking with and I'll spare her name, so I don't embarass her.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 3:36 pm 
I've heard pretty loud snoring from a number of people around here!

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 3:41 pm 
I can go hiking with anyone I want and have often shared my tent with a member of the opposite sex (who has ear plugs). In fact one of my regular hiking partners was one and then she had to move away. frown.gif My wife had no problems with it. My wife's way of thinking is I spend much of my time working with women in a hospital so why shouldn't I hike with them as well?

Honey Badger Don't Care!
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 4:38 pm 
The people that have a problem with opposite sex hiking/camping are the same people that have a problem with all sorts of opposite sex activities (movies, dinner, etc etc)-insecure, distrustful control freaks. I can't imagine why anyone would put up with that sh*t from a significant other.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 4:41 pm 
See, me neither, though I'm not sure if I'd be going out to dinner or movies with guys--that sounds a lot like "dating" to me. Already got one of those. It's a pretty prevalent thing though, guys (gals?) whose SOs don't want them going out in the woods with a woman, especially one who is not married. Apparently we're predators! lol.gif

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 4:46 pm 
Tom wrote:
Marylou, no problem here, except a 2 person tent + earplugs is lighter than 2 tents. But getting back on topic... who is the loudest snorer: Erik the Nav, Randy, or Mtn Goat? My money is on Mtn Goat. winksmile.gif
hey! I dunno about that. I'm not surrendering this competition easily here! A long day, a lot of tired, a triple-snort of whisky, and I do pretty good. I still don't believe it's every night. It's just that every night Allison is around meets the above conditions for a serious snore fest from yours truly. I got a chance to sample the Goat's efforts just recently. Impressive, but not -that- impressive. Hmm, though thinking about it, his tent was 50' away and there was a crosswind between us.. maybe the Goat has more going for him than I'm giving credit for.

Jimmy Durante

Jimmy Durante
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 4:48 pm 
Tom wrote:
who is the loudest snorer: Erik the Nav, Randy, or Mtn Goat?
It's easy to wear earplugs. But I find wearing a nose plug makes my mouth dry out. Who's the smelliest?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 4:48 pm 
Well I was a good 50' away from him on a trip last summer and I'd say it's pretty impressive.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 5:25 pm 
Why, Marylou, it is JUST shocking! We actually agree on somethin' winksmile.gif I don't see what the big deal is about hiking or backpacking with oppiste gender partners. My boyfriend is just fine with my partners (for which I am VERY grateful!) I just cannot imagine having a jealous SO who was obbsessed that you were going to be "stolen" away while smelling like a dead cow after hiking all day lol.gif I do tend to hike with a lot of women partners, but that is because I like female companions, and it's fun to have gab sessions after the kids crash at night in the tents! Now as Foggydew said......we all know who the LOUDEST snorer is in the group winksmile.gif She is SUPER bad, but we love her so much we don't mind. Heck I volunteer to have my tent near hers every time-I always figure the wild animals will be scared away and I'll be extra safe being near her..heehee But for the record: I sleep alone in my tent, or with Ford (and the BF when he comes along). I like all the room!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
christy_E

christy_E
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 5:50 pm 
I'm a definite tent sharer.. it doesn't matter how warm it is out.. I am always cold. Just last month.. while out with rainrunner and sarbar.. I laid in my 15 bag.. and shivered myself to sleep.. and that was after I got into my silkies. I Remember Sar saying she was pretty much on top her bag she was so warm. Same with my kid.. sprawled out on top of it and here I was butting up against her to get warm. I NEED the body heat. And if you're a snorer... I have a good elbow or kick to me. As for hiking with opposite sex.. works for me. But then again I'm single. The guy I hike with a lot is married. Don't think his wife knows about all the trips. <shrugs>

Ink, it costs a lot to look this cheap.
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 9:06 am 
marylou wrote:
Seems more and more that I'm seeing that people are not "allowed" (or whatever the terms...) to go out hiking or backpacking with poeple of the opposite sex by their SOs. This has been a recurring situation I've seen.
My wife thinks you are after me. She thinks you want to rub coconut oil all over my muscles.

Art is an adventure.
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 9:11 am 
marylou wrote:
Seems more and more that I'm seeing that people are not "allowed" (or whatever the terms...) to go out hiking or backpacking with poeple of the opposite sex by their SOs. This has been a recurring situation I've seen.
Seriously though, I would rather see more women come on trips that I go on. Their insights and thoughts give a different perspective and it is appreciated. Hell, I am a lot slower now going on the downhill since my ankle accident, so women shouldn't be afraid of me and would go on my trips. Maybe my gas is just too bad--some of my compadres have expressed their thoughts on this.

Art is an adventure.
shoe lady

shoe lady
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 9:26 am 
Speaking from experience (being married 15 plus years to a person who no longer can physically do outdoor activities), I'd say that one problem that comes up is if you as a hiker do not share many other common interests with your SO, that person may become resentful of the time you spend hiking with people of the opposite sex. Also, if you acquired your interest in hiking and outdoor activities several years into the relationship, this may create a problem when there wouldn't be any if you'd already been hiking with other people when you met this person. I did a backpacking trip around the Wonderland Trail last year and felt I made a good decision by taking an experienced male backpacker who was willing to show me all kinds of things to make the experience that much more fun. My husband did do a resupply for us at Mowich Lake and generally remained a good sport about it, but then I probably wouldn't do this every weekend.

Life goes on in the shoe