JimK

JimK
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 6:32 pm 
Cliff, STP is Sierra Trading Post.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostThu Oct 02, 2003 8:34 am 
Thanks Jim. Guys, I received the response below from Alico boots today. I then called STP and spoke with a very nice lady who couldn't determine from her buyers if these guide model they are receiving next week are coming in widths, too. Anyway, I'll call STP next week and see if they have the Guide model in in my size. Cliff thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in our mountaineering boots. We are producing mod. Guide in normal and wide width. We are sending end of this week or beginning to the next this model to US Company specialized in sales through internet. I am enclosing their address: Sierra Trading 5025 Campstool Rd. Cheyenne, WY 82007 www.SierraTradingPost.com

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 02, 2003 9:37 am 
Good news about the Guides. I can't wait to see what they weight. If they are no heavier than Limmer Standards and the price is right I may try a pair. If not, I might try a pair of the Summits. I thought the Van Gorkoms looked like Merrell Leathers. Leathers are inside stiched--two rows of stiching through the insole, the bottom edge of the upper and the midsole. I actually like inside stiched boots better then Norwegian welt boots because (1) the stitching is protected and (2) the sole does not protrude from the edge of your foot. There was another guy selling custom Merrell leather style boots (out of Colorado IIRC) but he wanted $600+ FYI If Van Gorkoms are like Merrell Leathers, then they are mid-weight hikers--more like the old Raicle Kalawah than the Rotondos. Leathers are not stiff enough for step-in crampons.

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostThu Oct 02, 2003 12:09 pm 
those boots
Hey Cliff,STP,Sierra Trading Post.acording to who I e-mailed the shipment will be sent out in mid October,I would keep checking as often as possible with customer service but try and talk with some one in charge as the persons that anser the phone to take orders don't know any thing about shipments.When I am contacted by Alico that the shipment has been sent,I will let you know.(is this any thing like insider trading? lol.gif any way,i'm pretty sure that Van Gorkom will be where I get my next pair,but as I said,LLBeans North Col hikers look like the real deal,check em out and let me know what you think,Have a Crotalus day,James

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 02, 2003 1:58 pm 
How much do the North Col Hikers weigh? How long is the shank? Do you know, or do I have to e-mail them myself? smile.gif They are nice looking boots, but I don't know if they are up to Mtn Goat's "kick a step into anything that isn't rock" standard wink.gif

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostThu Oct 02, 2003 4:42 pm 
Hey DJ,yea,sound like he has a pretty tough approach to hiking,but,reading from LL Beans Summer 2003 catalog,"Italian made"..."leather lined"...One pc.3mm leather upper"..."stitched norwegian welt construction"..."vibram roccia rubber sole"...approriate for 40 lb. loads and above"...need heavy sox"no wt on them or info about the shank but i'm thinking3 lbs for a size 9.5?customer service could probably give more information and there are reviews on the web,put ll bean north col hikers in your search.you know,with every one wanting these kind of boots,you would think the manufactures like Montrail,Vasque ect.,would hear the crys of the people and bring back the boots that got them there reputation in the first place,don't ya think?hope this helps and you have a Crotalus day,James

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
salish

salish
PostThu Oct 02, 2003 5:58 pm 
FYI If Van Gorkoms are like Merrell Leathers, then they are mid-weight hikers--more like the old Raicle Kalawah than the Rotondos. Leathers are not stiff enough for step-in crampons.[/quote] Good point, DJ. When I spoke with Charles (as well as the man at Limmer) I told them my criteria for a boot that was that is be as equally rugged as the Raichle. I don't know if any of these boots are "double wall" boots like Raichles, although the Limmer Standard looks as rugged. The only pics I've seen of the Van Gorkoms are on Charles web site, but they don't appear to be as stout as the Raichles. Still, Charles swears they should fit the bill. These Guide boots from Alica appear to be real ass kickers, so we'll see what the guys at STP say next week. With my weird feet it's iffy that I can get a boot to fit and I'll probaby have to go custom. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 10:26 am 
kraitcatcher wrote:
...no wt on them or info about the shank but i'm thinking3 lbs for a size 9.5?
If you click on the comparison chart link there are weights for all the boots. I can not believe it, but the chart says the North Col Hikers weigh--drum roll please--4 pounds 10 ounces eek.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 11:15 am 
Now that's a pair of boots! Wow. Realistically, that might be too much even for me. I had a pair of old Kastingers ( is that right?) that were full shank freakin monsters and boy they stuck to anything you kicked 'em in, but due to the shank never really broke in and were not only too heavy but it was like walking in ski boots.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 12:05 pm 
OverTheHill mentioned galibier Superguides. I had a pair of those, but never used them much. I suspect the 3/4 shank 3mm leather Alico Guides are also HEAVY, because the 1/2 shank 2.6mm leather Summits weigh in at 4 pounds according to STP. I had a pair of Asolo Allegros that I really liked. Got tham at an Early Winters sale down in the International District. They were thick leather--3mm+ and had a 1/2 or 3/4 shank and Vibram Montagna sole. What made them special was the complete lack of padding (except in the tongue) which made them lighter than comparable boots and quick to dry. I've read such boots have to be lasted really well. It's easier for manufacturers just to pad the boot so it conforms to your foot...

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 12:12 pm 
4 freaking pounds!!!
wow,that is some wt.but,is that comparison for a pair or each boot,also,keep in mind as to what size they were using,size 12 in any kind of boot can be heavy.whoa,4 lbs. that would be a very subsantal boot in deed! dizzy.gif James

Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 12:42 pm 
kraitcatcher wrote:
wow,that is some wt.but,is that comparison for a pair or each boot,also,keep in mind as to what size they were using,size 12 in any kind of boot can be heavy.whoa,4 lbs. that would be a very subsantal boot in deed! dizzy.gif James
I assume LL Bean is reasonably consistent about comparing boots of the same size in the same manner (pairs versus single boots). I think vendors usually give the weight of a pair of boots and I notice many of them use the weights of relatively small sizes (8-9) to compare men's boots. As far as I can see, neither LL Bean nor STP say weather their weights are for one boot or two or the size of the boot they weighed.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 4:11 pm 
I found some reviews of the Guide--pretty positive: Two Reviews Two more reviews FWIW all the reviewers gave them 5 out of 5. These boots were also sold as the "EMS Traverse" I Googled that and found a bunch more positive info, including this: " I met two people now who used EMS Traverse boots on the trail and they just replaced the soles in Vermont and that was it. They told me that these are the only boots which last the entire trip. I hiked 1010 miles last summer of the AT and I used Armond boots and the leather inside the boots wore out and created holes in the heels because of my boots always remianing wet. EMS Traverse boots have a material inside that does not wear out even when wet. So I was told. I saw their boots in Vermont and the outside of them looked good. Does anyone else have the same experience with these boots?" Google search results for "EMS Traverse"

Dante

Dante
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 10:01 am 
I just got a response from Alico--Guides in my size (European size 44) weigh 2.744 Kg or about 6 pounds eek.gif I think I might take a look at a pair of Summits from STP--they are about 3 1/2 to 4 lb.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 11:04 am 
I'm also in the market for a new pair of boots. My current boots are Garmonts, several years old but not made any longer, though they are similar to their current Bronco model. I've looked at the Boreal Bulnes or the Asan. The Asan lists for $255 but I see Overstock.com has them for *are you sitting down?* $89.99! Unfortunately, they are out of my humongous size (11). Link I've heard that great bargains can be had at some European websites but have never purchased from them. Has anyone here done so? Barrabes.com (Spain) Thinkmountain.com (also in Spain)

A fuxk, why do I not give one?