-lol-
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 10:42 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 10:58 am 
Given the impending road closure and the impact it will have on traffic it was a true waste of funds. If you had been up there and saw the level to which the trail was being "maintained" you would understand. I'm guessing the trail will be more driveable than the road when they're done. lol.gif

Mal Con

Mal Con
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 11:05 am 
I think the trail is being upgraded to a bridal trail status. Presumably for those riding from Waptus? It looks like you could drive and ATV or mountain bike up it, although that is supposed to be verboten. More than I can saw for the road.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 11:49 am 

Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 11:58 am 
Mal Con wrote:
I think the trail is being upgraded to a bridal trail status. Presumably for those riding from Waptus? It looks like you could drive and ATV or mountain bike up it, although that is supposed to be verboten. More than I can saw for the road.
That makes sense. I thought the improvements were a waste, too, given the gate, but the Horse theory works for me... Hmm... NRTP (which funded the Dutch Miller Gap Trail improvements) stands for "National Recreational Trails Program". When I googled that, here's what I found: Link to Google Search Results The Program Brochure says: "The Recreational Trails Program provides funds to the States to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both nonmotorized and motorized recreational trail uses. Examples of trail uses include hiking, bicycling, in-line skating, equestrian use, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, off-road motorcyling, all-terrain vehicle riding, four-wheel driving, or using other off-road motorized vehicles." "Each State administers its own program, usually through a State resource or park agency. Each State develops its own procedures to solicit and select projects for funding. Each State has a State Recreational Trail Advisory Committee to assist with the program. In some States, the committee selects the projects, in others, the committee is advisory only." "Recreational Trails Program funds may be used for: -maintenance and restoration of existing trails; -development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities and trail linkages; -purchase and lease of trail construction and maintenance equipment; -construction of new trails (with restrictions for new trails on Federal lands); -acquisition of easements or property for trails -State administrative costs related to this program (limited to 7 percent of a State's funds); and -operation of educational programs to promote safety and environmental protection related to trails (limited to 5 percent of a State's funds). States must use 30 percent of their funds for motorized trail uses, 30 percent for nonmotorized trail uses, and 40 percent for diverse trail uses. Diverse motorized projects (such as snowmobile and motorcycle) or diverse nonmotorized projects (such as pedestrian and equestrian) may satisfy two of these categories at the same time. States are encouraged to consider projects that benefit both motorized and nonmotorized users, such as common trailhead facilities. Many States give extra credit in their selection criteria to projects that benefit multiple trail uses." Here's a link to Washington's NRTP web page: LINK I hope this doesn't have anything to do with Bush's Road Rule, which permits states to take over abandoned roads and paths in National Parks and Wilderness Areas... That could open the Dutch Miller Gap Trail to motorized use.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 5:54 pm 
I think the actual work is being done by Youth Corp. There were 3 Youth Corp vans and 2 mint green FS trucks, and two large teams of young adults (red & blue teams) there last Wednesday working. Of course I don’t know where the money for the materials came from, and agree it is a waste of resources, to overly re-build a trail that won’t get much use. I think it is being re-built for the horse people. They seem to have a good lobby. Bye - KN