Forum Index > Trail Talk > The filter/treat water topic! - article on giardia prompts post
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 9:35 am 
I've only filtered in places where the water gets heavy animal use and gets warm-my brother and I used to hike and hunt Sutton Mtn in Central Oregon and the only water was a slow running creek that seeped out of the ground at various spots-not the cold and clear running stuff found in most places I hike-I do boil a lot of water when I'm out but mostly because I like a cup of coffee or tea...My brother did get giardia once after a trip to Owyhee Resovoir in Oregon-I guess he thought all the alcohol he drank on that trip would kill any/all nasty microorganisms. And I'm kind of neat freak at any rate-in the personal hygeine sense-I may be cleaner when I'm out and about in the mtns.-I have kind of a semi fetish about running a clean camp.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 3:56 pm 
He said that 1 in 14 (maybe wrong) of us already carry Giardia. Amazing! Giardia also can't live in frozen areas. I like it! Sounds like Giardia is just a bunch of marketing hype for MSR, Sweetwater......and lots of people buy into that!

Art is an adventure.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 4:02 pm 
Spend a week sh*tting your guts out and then tell me about what we "buy into". MSR didn't sell me on anything, but 7 days of power excretion sure did. tongue.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostMon Mar 18, 2002 4:56 pm 
Told this before, but I drank out of a tarn on Easy Ridge no bigger than a double garage. I was desperate and a week later I had the 7 day power poops. Doc wasn't sure if it was giardia or some funky little spore. Now I look at the source. Wouldn't drink untreated out of Melakwa Lake, but I'd drink out of a stream coming off Kaleetan.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 5:06 pm 
We (most anyway) are guided and ruled by our experiences. When I get killer gee-R-dee-ah I'll probably start treating. Until then I feel that much closer to the out-of-doors MY way! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 7:30 pm 
Well, I'm one of the people who filters the water everywhere I go now. Back in 1989 I drank water from Waptus Lake and in the middle of the night had to run to the latrine and had a splitting headache. I suspect that a bacteria was to blame. My brother did his master's thesis studying water borne pathogens and found that almost every water source, including mountain water, is contaminated to some degree with giardia and other blighters. There is a threshold at which a person will be unaffected and I personally don't want to reach it again.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 7:37 pm 
I understand. Like I said, personal experience. Someday I'll probably get tagged. Ive gulped Waptus water too, a few times!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 7:43 pm 
I guess that explains everything BPJ lol.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 7:49 pm 
OUR administrator REALLY wanted to do stand up in vegas, but they shunned him so he turned to the internet!!! Wise guy! THAT doesnt begin to explain everything! The ten foot fall off of the roof onto my head at 15, now that starts to explain things! HA!

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 10:41 pm 
I'm not condoning this behaviour, but check out this photo of J Harlin III on a recent foray near Koolaid Lake. Saw bear and deer in the vicinity so perhaps they dropped a load into the water!
01HarlinDrink
01HarlinDrink

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:05 am 
I've said it before, I'll say it again...what about CTYPTO...SPORIDIUM....? Isn't anyone else worried but me??

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 11:12 am 
I figger if'n I grow enough facial hair, that oughta filter out most of the bigger chunks. wink.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 12:45 pm 
I'm with Kleet. People worry to much. Facial hair it is! I've gulped the water all over the enchantments 8 times. I must be a carrier, because I think I'm bullet proof to this stuff.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:03 pm 
Famous last words guys. What's so terrible about carrying 3 oz of aquamira? Despite the "remote" probability of my house burning down, I still carry fire insurance because I could not afford the consequences if I didn't. Ignoring the potential long term health consequences, are you willing to sacrifice a summer of hiking recovering from a water borne illness to save 3 oz?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:12 pm 
Yep! If I havent gotten anything yet, I wont. Hey T.D. dont get me wrong, carry away!!!