Forum Index > Trail Talk > Campfires - smoke gets your eyes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostFri Mar 29, 2002 8:02 am 
I rarely have had campfires when backpacking since I left the Selkirds of N Idaho. Unless its really cold or I'm in an low use or off trail locale - I just don't have them. Aside from the "evironmental" impact, I find campfires to be work, stinky, and distracting. How often do you have a campfire when backpacking? Is it a must like so many car campers seem to view "the fire"? Or do you enjoy going without one?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 8:34 am 
Unless I'm in an area in which fires are banned-I always have one. Just part of the evening ambience, I guess.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Dante

Dante
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 10:00 am 
I'm with Pappy. I've only made one campfire in the last few years. It was a late season off-trail hike and we thought it would be nice because it was cold and drizzling. Although it had rained earlier in the day we got a fire going and were able to maintain it for an hour or two. Keeping it going was more work than it was worth, so we put it out and retired.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 10:10 am 
The kind of day you describe Dante is the type of weather that I find a challenge in building a fire-admittedly I cheat with stuff like firepaste, but keeping a fire going in really wet, drizzly stuff, particularly if it's been wet for a while I've always figured is a backswood skill to be cultivated and refined. I kind of pride myself on my firemaking ability-keeping in mind the rules, of course.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 10:18 am 
I also appreciate one of those stinky troublesome things! Put me Dslayers camp...literally!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 10:57 am 
I'm more in the LNT camp in the backcountry. I save the campfires for car camping.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 11:35 am 
Mtn. Goat--you'd be welcome in my camp anytime...I kind of like the smell of campfires and I like it sticking to clothes for days to come. Reminds me of where I'd like to be.

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 11:48 am 
I love campfires. It's part of the experience for me. And yes, the smell. smile.gif It's like a comfort food. Unfortunately, many places I've backpacked to don't allow them. frown.gif But, whenever they're allowed and I'm not out gallavanting around too late to make it worth my while, I'll probably have one.

Unkempt Phyres

Unkempt Phyres
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 1:11 pm 
Lighting a fire for ambiance is selfish in this era of too many people and leave no trays (at your local fast food establishment). Thus, I haven't lit fires in 20 years. That's why I bring a warm sleeping bag and a stove! Now car camping is another issue. They have the facilities built for the porpoise, so sometimes I get selfish and make a small fire. As for the skill in building a fire -- I prefer to bring enough gear to survive the night. Never gonna rely on inefficient radiation from flickering fir bows roasting one side, whilst the dark side of my half moons freeze.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 2:00 pm 
Well I happened to be ON that hike with Dante. I cant remember the last time I had one while hiking alone!!! When I hike with another friend he ALWAYS makes one. I guess I'm in Pappy's camp.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dogman

Dogman
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 2:18 pm 
Fires are good. Big ones. Keeps the bugs away. What's an evening around the camp without good friends, good smoke, political arguments, lies, farting, and a bottle of Old Undershorts to share around a big ol' campfire? Aargh.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 2:45 pm 
I'll have a fire sometimes. It just depends on the situation. You can have fires and minimize your impacts with careful planning and careful clean up. Sometimes they are more bother then they are worth. Some locations are such that you just plain shouldn't have one. Other times they are extremely enjoyable when done responsibly.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 2:48 pm 
Depends on where I am. I love a good campfire and sitting around it swapping lies, but if there's not an abundance of dead wood on the ground AND an established fire ring, I won't even consider one. If I go solo I won't have one. And usually the places I go have fire bans in effect, so the point is moot...but I often miss them. shakehead.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 3:12 pm 
Part of fire using 'skill' is to make one the keeps you wholly warm. Fires also enhance my "Jeremiah Johnson" fantasy. But maybe you all can explain the anti-fire deal--I get it about areas with little wood or desecrating trees, but in most places I camp, I can find enough dead wood to burn forever and you wouldn't even know it was gone. So what's the deal?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 5:22 pm 
The worst problems with fires probably stem from clueless abusers. Everybody has seen where they light logs and trees on fire, or build big fires under low hanging branches and turn them all brown. Many people feel compelled to bring in an ax or saw. Once they have carried that in it seems they have to use them. Never mind that there is plenty of firewood sitting around, they have to chop down snags, cut up logs, etc. Then there are the people that think foil burns. Don't even get me started on that. In the classic case of a campsite with a fire pit that pit will concentrate use. You'll start to see the first denuding of vegetation around the firepit where people, naturally, hang out. With no fires you don't have that central location and people are both more likely to use disbursed campsites, and spread their use within existing sites.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch