Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crawford - Tank Lakes - La Bohn Lakes (8/25-28)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:05 am 
And where is that crappy little tarn, pray tell?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:30 am 
Marylou, that's the seldom thawed paC norI Lake.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:32 am 
Ah, yes, I'll be sure to never go there.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:55 am 
marylou wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to this godforsaken place.
I think that is the very first picture of R I have ever seen in the woods. Isn't he made in China?

Art is an adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 12:09 pm 
R does not like having his picture taken. Anyway, we were not "in the woods", as you can see, we were well above treeline. You can see in the picture that he is warming a bagel for me, as he did every hour, on the hour. On the half hour he rubbed my feet, and on the quarter hour, he carried my pack, for a quarter hour. He is not made in China, though at his advancing age we must treat him like china, lest he break! lol.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 1:01 pm 
Tom wrote:
Marylou, that's the seldom thawed paC norI Lake.
So Tom and Marylou, what's your stance on reports/pictures to off trail locations that are potentially fragile and all that? It seems in some cases you're against it, but when they concern your trips you are not. Or, are you making a judgement call based on how you feel about the place? I'm not one that reads every post around here, so maybe I've missed posts that would have otherwise made this more clear. Please discuss.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 1:12 pm 
We had this discussion while lounging at the outlet of Pac Nori and the impression I came away with was that 1) there's next to no vegetation around the lake, and it would take a lot of foot wear to begin breaking down that granite. 2) It's a gnarly traverse, a lot of brutal effort, and that the miniscule number of people that enjoy that sort of abuse wouldn't have a tremendous amount of impact and would likely treat it with the same dignity and respect we do. If a destination is close to a road, or an easy walk in, and could easily be trampled/desecrated by the common hordes, then no, I wouldn't post it. But the isolated nature and ruggedness of certain regions liberate me to talk a bit about the more remote locations.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 1:23 pm 
For me, a lot of it depends on how hard it is to get there. For example, when we went to the LWP last year, I did write a TR, but it was very vague, to the point of uselessness, because it's relatively easy to get there. Chikamin, no TR, because it is too easy to get there. Same with Sylvester if you how to get in there. Gold Lake, and all of the places Mike and Tom went, are in the Beckey, approaches described and all of that. If I do end up TRing this past weekend I won't put any specifics in there. I'd actually like to write a TR for the magazine on this last weekend but plan to get permission from the FS before doing so. That area is so so pristine that I'm not sure it's the right thing to TR it. I think it's a matter of common sense. Randy, what do you think?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 1:47 pm 
My stance is that if a destination is fragile and relatively easy to reach then I tend not to highlight them in trip reports or post pictures with names. There are cases where a destination isn't easy reach but is getting more traffic than it can handle and so I've made the same judgement call. As far as other people, I leave it up to their discretion. I've never criticized anyone for posting a picture or trip report on this board, or on their website. As stunning as Iron Cap Lake is I don't have any problem with posting pictures because (1) it isn't easy to reach and (2) it isn't fragile (unless rocks are fragile).

DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm 
I did that bushwhack from upper end of Dorothy to Gold lake solo a few years ago. No one else was willing to do it. I got up there hot and sweaty and it seemed remote. So I stripped down and went for a dip. Came out quick as it was fairly cold. As I was standing in the sun re-catching my breath a young couple came around the bend in the trail and we met full on. I hope she understands "shrinkage".

"May you live in interesting times"

Bramble_Scramble  geyer