Forum Index > Photography Talk > G3 camera battery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 1:07 pm 
I am going on a five night max trip to Foss lakes area and wonder if one fully charged battery would be sufficient for the trip. What is your experience ? Thanks, DROCK

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 4:21 pm 
My experience is... no. But then I take a lot of photos with the lcd on. I'm sure that the time will very by user so it's just me. A 4 day trip used 1+ batteries and 2+ 512 cards shoting RAW. But then again I shoot everything and more than once. This is not a gun issue or even related. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 4:29 pm 
Really depends on how many pictures you take and whether you compose with the viewfinder on or not. DPReview indicated that they got 455 shots on the G3's battery, but that's likely without the LCD viewfinder turned on. Reality or marketing hype? I have an Canon PowerShot S400, which has a different battery but similar long battery life due to the "DiGiC" DSP processor... This last trip, I shot almost 500 pictures on my first battery, filling my first 1 gig CF card before I had to change the battery on the third day in. If you compose using the LCD rather than the optical viewfinder or spend a lot of time reviewing the shots you've taken, then I'd expect the number to be closer to 200 shots. A G3 owner would be able to give you a more definitive real world figure.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 9:01 pm 
I haven't given mine any test of that length yet, but I've had absolutely no problems on three day (car camping) outings. I usually compose without even using the camera, so that conserves some battery time, but I do take multiple pictures of the same scene, and I turn off the camera if I'm moving a few feet to get a different perspective, so that saves juice too. I'd have to say you could probably get away with it, but it'd be much safer to take two.

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 9:46 pm 
Thanks for the good advice. I'm tempted to get the second battery if only for the reason that the camera, and my learning curve is new, and I'd be using the LED more and taking multiple pictures more than an experienced G3'er. Thanks again, DROCK

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 10:10 am 
I was going to ask the same question, Drock. I'm going to be on a 5 day hike with no electricity in Chile and wondered about the battery life. I'm going to get a second one now. Any recommendations for a good place to buy one cheap? Amazon current price for Canon is ~ $50. What about using non-Canon manufactured batteries?

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 10:34 am 
My experience with my Canon digital is that I was able to use it a couple weeks ago on a 5-day trip and take close to 100 pictures on one charge. I took a backup battery but did not need it. I also used the LCD for framing/preview about 70% of the time. I was suprised and happy about the great battery life.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 8:41 pm 
I just did a three day Alpine lakes trip. I used one battery. I used the LCD EVER pic! I took 500+ pics. I brought three batteries total. It was nice to use only one. I have a G3. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 01, 2003 11:59 pm 
I recommend having a spare. Definitely get the higher capacity Vidpro aftermarket version at batterybarn.com for $29.95. They are half the price of the Canon battery and last about 20-30% longer per charge. They are the same voltage as the Canon battery and thus are perfectly safe to use.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 12:30 am 
Wow...thanks for the link! Very reasonable prices indeed...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 12:56 pm 
That is a great battery that Tom recommends. I am amazed by how long it lasts. Generally two or three weekends. I carry the original as a spare. Tom is the master of good info. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 3:22 pm 
Thomas is the Goo-Roo that's for sure! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:53 pm 
For a 5 day trip, need a spare, and this is one time where a good brand may make the difference. I have an Oly 3030 and first bought Lewmars to use with it. The next year a bought a couple of sets of Sunpaks from Kits with a higher amperage rating, they don't hold as much a charge for as long as the year older Lewmars.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 03, 2003 12:36 am 
As far as amperage, I can attest to the fact that my 2 year old Vidpro battery kicks the butt of the brand new Canon battery that came with my G3. I have no hesitations about recommending it.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Sep 03, 2003 10:41 am 
Tom. up.gif Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.