Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blue Mt., Grand Ridge and Noble Knob-8/28-30/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 7:15 pm 
Me, the boyfriend and Ford left town on thursday morning to go to the Pennisula. After many delays involving a stop at the Tacoma REI and Costco in Sequim, we finally got up to Deer Park and set up camp in loop A where I happily has a great view of the ridges since were in spot 3, which is at the front of the silver forest. After setting up camp, we headed up the road to the summit of Blue Mt. Why drive it when you can walk it, eh? I love Deer Park, and Synchro had not seen it yet. Had perfect views up at the top and then headed down to make dinner. Perfect skies that night with a pretty sunset from all the haze lol.gif. The camp area was about full, with people coming up as late as 11 or so. But very quiet for frontcountry, no music, no loud voices either. Nice ranger up there too. Got up bright and early at 6 am and made breakfast then broke camp. Synchro dropped Ford and me off at the TH at 9 am, and we headed off. Synchro was going to Port Angeles, picking us up lunch at the Olympic Bagel Co, and picking us up at Obstruction Point. I LOVE ridge hikes, and this was the one I have been chomping at for years to do, and having him doing this for me was the ultimate present! Now.....hiking this trail from Deer Park, going east to west is NOT the way to do it, no, I HAD to do it the most strenous way......Perfect blue skies though, but no animals at all the entire way, not even marmots. It is very dry up there this year. Enjoyed the views up Badger Valley, having never seen it at this angle before-didn't realize you could see both Grand Lake and Moose Lake from up there! Roaring Winds Pass was an excellent break spot for a snack. We took off for Elk Mt, and about died when I saw the trail going up eek.gif Talk about freaking steep! Came around the bend of the middle summit and came into radio contact with Synchro, he had just got up there and came out to meet us. Turned out my sweetie had gone into town and got my truck new shocks! What a sweetie! I love him so much! I hit the truck and sat there drinking a huge bottle of ice tea from the cooler, shoveling pasta salad and bagels down my throat while tiredly staring out at Mt. Olympus. Then gave a long (and tactfully) lecture to a group of tourons who had a dog with them, on why you are NOT allowed to have dogs on trails in the NP. Hit the rd, loving my new shocks...SWEET!!! Went home, got up this morning and headed up Corral Pass rd. Passed a very large elk on Hwy 410 with a very large rack. Gorgeous animal! Was pleasantly shocked that the rd isn't scary or anything-sure it's steep but it is actually pleasant! Synchro, Ford and me hit the trail at around 11 am-we were very lazy this morning but enjoyed the hike out to Noble Knob-with me eating way too many huckleberries.....Had lunch at the summit, did some orienting and headed back. Went down the road and had lunch at a meadow about a mile down. You can feel fall coming, everything is turning scarlet red. My favorite! Followed a Toyota Highlander down that was riding their brakes down the whole way-peeyew!! Then, coming down the rd near the last tight section we see a large minivan on it's side in the ditch, ouch!!!!! The guy was ok, sitting on a cooler. He had help coming-but they had had to punch out a side window to crawl out, the whole drivers side was bad. Yep, his brakes had failed. eek.gif And he had the presence to ditch it in the ditch, not the trees at least. But still, an awesome weekend. Good weather, great alpine views and yet another sunburn....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rainrunner

rainrunner
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 6:56 am 
Hey Sarbar! You are one spoiled lady! A drop off at the trailhead (is that the one with the scary forest road?)...a car magically repaired...and the boyfriend waiting at the other trailhead with warm bagels...who could be luckier??? I need to find me a man like that!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 6:59 am 
You see why I brag about him? tongue.gif Seriously, he was so sweet to drop me off at Deer Park (icky Mt. rd with drop off the whole way) and then pick me up at Obstruction Point (narrow road above 6,000ft filled full of out of staters who don't understand how to drive said roads!). I've driven both roads before, it was so nice to just sit back and relax! biggrin.gif

STUMP

STUMP
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 7:32 am 
That is a great hike, Laura Bush did it with her gal friends last month, she was pampered by SS but I'll bet nobody brought her a warm bagle and a hug. (you didn't mention the hug part but I'll fill in the blank) I did that one both ways for my second hike this year, downhill when the quads are burning is no fun either. Did you notice the trail signs on either end have different mileage for the trail? There are several trails in the ONP that are equal in beauty and grandeur, but none in my opinion exceed the Obstruction point.

Sole/Soul Trek
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 8:24 am 
I noticed the mileage part too! Very intresting.....did you notice the old BM road survey marker out near elk Mt. in the middle of the trail? Very easy to miss. I do think Obstruction Point is my favorite place in the Olympics to drive to. I was very fascinated that I could see all the way to Moose Lake up there! Got to see Badger Valley from an entirely different angle. My question on the 1st lady: did they force everybody off the trail? I wonder about that.........

STUMP

STUMP
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 9:15 am 
The first Lady and her group hiked the trail just like everyone else, they met a few people who told the rangers at DeerPark they were sociable and nobody got in her face. The rangers said nobody even got a picture. It was all a total surprise, even to the rangers. The SS even seemed casual, quiet and apart from the group, but VERY attentive. If you had done a short scramble to the crest of Elk Mtn. you would've been able to peek at Gladys lake too. I lunched up there, cold trail mix and warm water. (but I got a really big hug from Ma Nature)

Sole/Soul Trek