Forum Index > Trail Talk > Don't you hate it when... - Ugh.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
C Dog

C Dog
PostMon Apr 08, 2002 5:14 pm 
...you #### up your knee at the *beginning* of hiking season? Hurt my knee playing frisbee last week, and it's swollen sumptin' fierce! eek.gif No hiking for a while for me... mad.gif mad.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Apr 08, 2002 5:28 pm 
Dude, that sucks. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I blasted my knee back in January and it's still not ready for serious hiking and all I have is a little bursitis and muscle imbalance. Due to lack of use, my legs are the same size they were in 6th grade! eek.gif

PostMon Apr 08, 2002 6:06 pm 
I feel your pain. Arthroscopic knee surgery March 2001 and Nov 2001 after never having any prior problems. Lost most of a year although I limped around a bit. I'd get it checked within a week if it doesn't get better soon. hang in there!

salish

salish
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 6:12 am 
Ouch, Pappy, hope it's working for you now. Hey C Dog, I've had some pretty good luck with the docs and treatment at UW Sports Medicine for my knee, and can pass that info along if anyone wants to private me. I hate it when a stupid injury screws up the hiking season. This will be the first summer that I don't play on our office softball team. I still try to play like I'm eighteen and I almost always injure something. Last July I had a massive hamstring pull that sidelined me for most of the summer. Really sucks when the weather is nice and the mountains are beckoning you. Let me know if you want my doctors name....and good luck. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostTue Apr 09, 2002 6:42 am 
I was able to extend my run to 7 miles Sunday so I'm doing good. But it was a SLOW 7 miles. Put my 2 cents in for Sports Med Clinic in Ballard. Again, I wouldn't mess around with it. Either of these Sports Med clinics are top notch.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 7:17 am 
I run everyday too. I hate it when I twist my RIGHT ankle! It always happens and it lays me up for weeks/months! Im going to have surgery on it next fall. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
janders

janders
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 8:00 am 
"Take care of your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone." Knees and ankles aren't to be trifled with. I would say take that knee in and get it looked at. I screwed my ankles up in college, didn't rehab properly, and now 10 years later my knees are screwed up. shakehead.gif Good luck, C! BTW, were you playing Ultimate?

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 8:23 am 
I assume ( hope ) that all folks with knee-ankle injuies have seriously considered the use of hiking poles after recovery !?

PostTue Apr 09, 2002 8:32 am 
Used poles whenever possible before injury and definately after. PBJ, have you considered not running everyday and doing some cross training like bike, weights, etc, on non-run days? Seems to have helped me reduce the pounding.

salish

salish
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 9:16 am 
Ulrich F: Buying hiking poles a couple of seasons ago has saved my butt many times. I'd also like to mention a simple little knee strap called the "Cho-Pat" knee strap, which was prescribed to me by UW Sports Med. This is for folks with damaged patella tendons, as far as I know. I don't think it works for people with internal knee injuries. It's a simple little rounded fabric strap that fits around the knee and applies gentle and even pressure to the patella tendon. It has worked wonders for me and I've even gotten the nerve up a few times to hike without my poles, and my knee did not go south on me. Just another option..... Another thing that has helped my knee (and legs in general) is biking. I am lucky enough to be close enough to work to commute by bike (5 miles one way) and it's amazing how well that can build your knee up.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
C Dog

C Dog
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 2:22 pm 
Thanks for the support, folks... went over to Virginia Mason Sports Medicine today and got looked at... from the various push/pull/torture tests they did they don't think I tore anything... going back in a couple of weeks -- the swelling was way down today... janders -- nope, no ultimate, just tossing it around during a lunch break [Denny Park] ... landed hard and my foot slid forward when I hit a patch of dirt in the grass field...

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 4:02 pm 
Hehe. Reading all this makes me thankful I'm only 20... tongue.gif (though I do find myself playing frisbee more often... eek.gif )

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 8:44 pm 
Have a friend in his 50's that had arthroscopic surgery on both knees and recovered pretty well--still doing alot of hiking. Not sure who his surgeon was.

C Dog

C Dog
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 9:19 pm 
Don't get too smug there, Sore, I'm only 26... wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 9:44 pm 
He he he, you guys loose BIG TIME! I have a friend who's over 50. Not a big deal right..... This guy has had BOTH hips replaced, AND can/still TELE SKI's around/over any man! Dont get trapped in our/your own preconcieved disabilities syndrome! The human body is WAY more capable/flexible than most people think. I lost five ribs to bone cancer when I was 21 years old! It hurt like HELL! Still does. Though I live a very normal life. It's what moved me twards turbo light packing! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln