Forum Index > Trail Talk > It's the getting there - the destination ain't all that counts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Apr 24, 2002 9:01 pm 
Destinations are usually nice, that's why people go there. Often, though, there are neat sections of trail along the way. Maybe it's the scenery along the trail, like Rachel Lake trail following the creek for a ways, or maybe the trail has been built uniquely like the Kendall Katwalk, or maybe the trail has alot of water going mysteriously under it like the trail to Lena Lakes. What are your favorite or most interesting stretches of trails?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostWed Apr 24, 2002 9:45 pm 
I'm partial to long ridge walks. On the east side they can often be done off trail with little brush to beat through. Probably my favorite ridge walk is Sahale Arm. Cascade Pass is nice but the real fun begins up on the Arm.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 24, 2002 9:53 pm 
I'll second James and his Pill-oso-pee! I love the above treeline ridge running. Wherever it is. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
IBEX

IBEX
PostWed Apr 24, 2002 10:49 pm 
One of the first trips I went on was to climb Kloochman Rock. We didn’t succeed the first time. But, the excitement came in the getting there. Most notably was the river crossing and then to see the largest fur tree. The thirtieth anniversary of the trip is coming up in a few days. So, I recently dug up the ancient yellow type written pages and scanned then into my machine. Now, to allow you all to share in the celebration, I found a way to post the old well worn story . The thumbs don’t come up but the links work fine. Oh, Backpacker Joe, I am counting this toward the experience for free time trade I am holding you to. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Apr 24, 2002 11:10 pm 
One of the prettiest sections of trail I've been on is the Silver Creek / Mineral City trail, from the big slide area to Lockwood Gulch. It's got everything. Crystal clear azure blue stream, big trees, lacy waterfalls, cool old mines, ferns, fungus, and the occasional views up to Scott Peak. Another one is a small section of the Narada Falls trail and the Lakes Trail in MRNP, not at the falls, but the section that goes between the upper parking lots at Paradise and Narada Falls. There are of course the views over Paradise Valley, meadows, tarns, pretty stream pictures just waiting to happen, then after the trail crosses 706, it parallels the Washington Cascades, which are quite possibly one of the most picturesque water features you'll find anywhere. Period. I'll let pictures speak for themselves. http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/pics/wacascades2.jpg

PostThu Apr 25, 2002 10:52 am 
Ridge running and bagging a little Peak along the way is by far what gives me the biggest kick. But to answer polarbears question I would have to say anywhere there are large boulders and watercourses mixed in that give unanticipated scenic surprises. Examples are: area just before you get to Metan (?) lake on the way to Vesper Pk, dropping off the trail in Pelton basin below Cascade Pass heading towards Trapper Lk, basins SE of Stiletto Pk. Area of house sized boulders between Lewis and Wing Lk. Absolutely spectacular "little" areas.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 11:26 am 
Ah, Rachel Lake. The scenery along the way, or for that matter any place, perhaps is what drives us there. And then we sometimes seek an inner self while there...and Kerouac's words comt to mind: http://www.alpinequest.com/kerouac.htm

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 1:49 pm 
Copper Ridge in the North Cascades is really nice and then the return trip back up the Chilliwack River. I've always enjoyed the hike from the Frog Camp trailhead in the Three Sisters, over a very nice tongue of fairly new lava flow, then up and over the saddle between North and Middle Sisters. I've never proceeded down and out on the east side yet. I've come in from the east to nearly that ridge though. And this is not the Northwest, but wandering among the boulder gardens in the high Sierra above Bishop or Lone Pine, California is heaven! Lastly, the beautiful and eerie hiking down Coyote Gulch south of Escalante, Utah. So quiet you can hear a crow flying up from behind.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 3:15 pm 
Maybe I'm just a sap, but there have only been a few trails I've hiked where the trail itself wasn't as good if not better than the destination. Waterfalls, etc make excellent destinations, but I'm usually interseted in the whole hike, or at least many points along the way. Some areas are better for this than others, of course -- like the Columbia River Gorge, Olympics rain forest, etc. Marten Creek comes to mind as a trail that itself was a let down, and no real destination to match. Perry Creek (to the falls) comes to mind as a trail where the hike was better than the destination, since you can't really see the falls and the views from the trail are magnificent. Need to do that one again this year.

janders

janders
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 3:29 pm 
Speaking of ridgeline trails... The Hurricane Ridge trail from Obstruction Peak down to Deer Park has no real "destination" but the trail is omigod beautiful. With views across the Strait of Juan de Fuca into Canada, Mt. Baker, Mt. Olympus, The Needles, so much time is spent gawking around that falling off the trail and plummeting into the Grand Creek valley is a very real problem for me. Good hike, that one.

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:00 pm 
In the same general area, the Hurricane Hill Trail does have a destination (thus the name of the trail) but the views of Mt Olympus and the alpine meadows are much better than the ridge views at the end, particuarly in wildflower season.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:43 pm 
Mr. BEX. You've got to take me along (please) on one or your next jaunts into never never land! It would be really great this summer if some of us could get together and do a trip or two. Meet eachother in the back country so to speak. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 6:06 pm 
One more vote for EW ridges, starting a week from Saturday. agree.gif Up Horse Lake Mountain from Number Two Canyon and then down Castle Rock Ridge all the way to town. Any of the parks on Rainier. And a personal favorite, the backdoor route to Rampart Ridge/Lakes. The whole hike is a destination: streams, lakes, waterfalls, views - only a few hundred yards of "just plain forest". wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 8:41 pm 
I like the trail at Sunrise on Mt. Rainier that follows Huckleberry Creek to Forest Lake. The section of trail from Lake Edna to Lake Mary is also great with its open views.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 9:25 pm 
Er...Ibex, what are Astro Eggs or do I want to know?