Forum Index > Trail Talk > Thursday's photo - What's so special about Monday?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:02 am 
Surfing has its rewards. Found this awesome picture on the net, but it was just called Foss Lakes I need to know which lake, and where the picture was taken from - so I can plan my hike accordingly. biggrin.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:10 am 
That's Big Heart Ebineezer! Beautiful shot for certain! That shot was taken near the outlet. Maybe on the outlet. You can see that by looking at this topozone map. Big heart lake

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:22 am 
Man, what a shot! Something I sorely lack is many great reflection pics. Only been to Big Heart/Chetwoot once, but now.....? Look what you're doing! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:29 am 
Thanks, Joe. I figured you'ld know. agree.gif Now that you've pointed it out, I realize I've got another one in my collection that looks like it might have been taken around to the right a bit, near that rock wall.
Big Heart lake
Big Heart lake

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:33 am 
Yeah, Pappy, you know what they say: start talkin' about these places and next thing ya know people start goin' there. biggrin.gif paranoid.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:41 am 
Scrooge, that's a nice site (I surfed backwards to get to his home page). Lots of Sierra and Cascade pics. I especially like this perspective of Mt. Daniel & Mt. Stuart

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 4:00 pm 
Here's my Thursday contribution. Followed a couple of crazy guys down the waterfall to the top right of this picture recently dizzy.gif.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 4:21 pm 
There's a well known trail there, many guidebook citations, and tons of traffic already, I don't think much will change.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostThu Mar 28, 2002 6:43 pm 
You never know MtnGoat, attaching names like Scrooge and Pappy to a thread about Foss might actually keep people AWAY. eek.gif eek.gif Tom, I take it you came down that on that little stroll in the woods you wrote about last weekend? And that's the big lake by Chair?

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 7:28 pm 
Great picture, Tom, as usual - except I think you need a little practice on waterfalls. wink.gif Reminds me of the animal pictures NOT that I took on my first trip to Colorado. Kind of like that bear pic somebody posted recently (that I can't find). - You couldn't find the animals, either. frown.gif Kleet, I think you must be an Ansel Adams fan. smile.gif All that rock and snow. Fortunately, a lot of people on this forum seem to share your feelings - so softies like me have the soft country down below to ourselves. biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 7:33 pm 
Yep, there's also tons of traffic to that big lake beneath Chair, but not much up that waterfall biggrin.gif. As the guidebook says, there's plenty of solitude if you know where to hide, paricularly further down the beaten path - I'm sure most of you remember this one from the old board.

PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:03 pm 
Scrooge, that was MY bear picture. tongue.gif Take a look. It's straight down in the meadow. Nose pointing to left, butt to right. A little right of center.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:34 pm 
Well, Ebineezers latest pic looks like the first camp site at the largest Granite mountain lake. TD's pic is upper Wildcat lake. Dont know the others! Hey, nobodys perfect. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 10:10 pm 
Thanks, Pappy. I couldn't figure out which thread it was in. I've got a slide a little like that, from Glacier Park, only my bear had the good grace to sit down on the nose of a glacier, so you could at least separate the brown lump from the background. wink.gif It was kind of funny, actually. We met him face to face on the trail but were able to talk him into turning around. Then, after he'd ambled off up the trail, I remembered that I had a camera hanging around my neck, so I headed up the trail after him. He turned off and clambered up the snout of the Grinnell Glacier. Then, just before he got to the top, he turned around and sat down - and waited while I scrambled up the talus on the side as far as I dared so I could take his picture - but it still wasn't very close. dizzy.gif .................. Joe. Unlike the picture you identified, the campsite picture was specifically labeled Big Heart Lake, and the scenery is right. Tom, isn't that Sstereotype Lake as pictured below. If it is, I'm going to brave the crowds. If Joe is right, I'm still gonna brave the crowds. Looks like they know a good thing when they see it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 5:09 am 
Ok, good point. That camp site looks just like the only camp site at the outlet end of Granite Mountain lake. Just so you know. Here is a pic of it in the winter!