Forum Index > Trip Reports > Foss Lakes Loop (9/3 - 9/6/03)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 4:52 pm 
A week earlier I had done the high route, looking down upon Otter, Azurite, Azure, Chetwoot, and Angeline while traversing from Crawford to Bonnie to the Tanks. This week I had the urge to go back and visit the other lakes to feel completely satisfied. After checking the weather forecast and noticing things were predicted to turn sour Saturday night, BPJ and I decided not to waste any time and headed up Wednesday afternoon, leaving the trailhead at 3 PM. It felt odd crossing the Foss River on the way to Trout Lake and the Copper Outlet on the way to Delta Lake. I've always done this portion early in the season when the rivers are a raging torrent, now relegated to just a mere trickle. Upon reaching Delta Lake we inflated our Curtis Wussmobiles and paddled over to the Otter outlet, a far more pleasant experience than brush bashing along the shore. I remember asking BPJ if the route up to Otter was brushy and he didn't recall it being too bad. Perhaps time has changed things, but then BPJ's memory isn't necessarily one of his strong points. clown.gif After a few photo breaks we hit the shores of Otter a little before 8 PM just in time for a glorious pink sunset.
Otter Outfall
Otter Outfall
Otter Waterfall
Otter Waterfall
Glorious Pink Sunset at Otter Lake
Glorious Pink Sunset at Otter Lake
The next morning we awoke to a few raindrops but weren't all that concerned as the weather report predicted sunshine later in the day. By 9 AM the clouds had burned off to reveal blue sky and we rafted over to a spot on the east side of the lake where BPJ had seen a sunken airplane years before. Unfortunately, conditions weren't ideal for viewing 30+ feet down and were unsuccessful in this particular endeavor. In the fishing department I was also getting skunked, but at least I had solace knowing Randy owed me $10 for making it up to Otter. hockeygrin.gif Around noon we packed up and rafted toward the Azurite outlet. The route up to the lake was quite steep but fortunately not very brushy. I quite enjoyed one particular section where we crossed over the outlet on a wide flat ledge with water splashing all around, providing relief from the heat of the day. By 3 PM we reached Azurite and decided it was a little too early to set up camp. BPJ was intent on taking a day trip up to Iron Cap Lake the next day so we rafted Azurite and continued on to Azure Lake. Upon reaching Azure we ran into the first people we had seen since Trout Lake, a couple camping at the lake and another hiker passing through. The lake level was extremely low and not very scenic, so after a short break we decided to huff it to Chetwoot Lake, reaching a fabulous campsite above the east shore by 6 PM. After dropping pack we headed down to the clear sparkling water for a swim. We had a couple hours to kill before sunset so I brought my fishing pole even though I had heard the fishing was poor in Chetwoot. After a refreshing swim I was a bit surprised to find a feisty trout tugging on my lure. I though it must be a Rainbow from the way it was splashing around but never got a chance to see it before it craftily towed my line behind some rocks and slipped off the hook. Soon thereafter I was taken to school again, this time the wiley trout darting underneath the log I was fishing from and leaving my lure attached to it - BPJ was gracious enough to dive in and unhook it for me. This story repeated itself for the next hour or so until I finally landed a 10" cutthroat for dinner to supplement the 14" trout caught elsewhere in the day. Before heading back to camp I headed over to the outlet, shocked to note some idiot(s) had defaced the large boulders with red spray paint - perhaps related to the people who took a dump 3 feet from the campsite, leaving the ground littered with TP.
Otter Croc
Otter Croc
Leaving Otter
Leaving Otter
Azurite and Otter Ridge
Azurite and Otter Ridge
Leaving Azurite
Leaving Azurite
Arriving at Azure
Arriving at Azure
Chetwoot w/ Alpenglow
Chetwoot w/ Alpenglow
The next morning after a quick breakfast we headed up to Iron Cap Lake at 8 AM, reaching the rocky shoreline by 9:30. There were too many shadows on the lake for good picture taking so I convinced BPJ to scramble up to Iron Cap Mtn with me. Unfortunately, while we filtered some water his camera bag found its way into the outlet and rendered his G3 inoperative. At that point Yosemite Sam wink.gif wasn't in the mood to climb a peak without a functioning camera but I reassured him he could slip his card into my camera if his didn't started working. Upon reaching the summit the sour mood evaporated as we were rewarded with superb 360 degree views from Rainier to the Olympics to the North Cascades, in addition to views down to the Dutch Miller valley, Tank, Iron Cap, Angeline, and Crawford Lake. Browsing thru the seldom signed register we noted the names of three familiar bums... Randy, Beave, and Mike Collins. I was intrigued by a couple with the last name of Gyselinck, wondering if they might be related to our resident airplane crash buff. BPJ was a bit skeptical of Pilar's claim of 5 hours from the west fork trailhead. It must have been a cool day. suuure.gif
Morning at Chetwoot
Morning at Chetwoot
Leaving Chetwoot
Leaving Chetwoot
Arriving at Iron Cap Lake
Arriving at Iron Cap Lake
Iron Cap Colors
Iron Cap Colors
Otter Lake
Otter Lake
Iron Cap and Angeline from Iron Cap Summit
Iron Cap and Angeline from Iron Cap Summit
Crawford from Iron Cap
Crawford from Iron Cap
Overcoat from Iron Cap
Overcoat from Iron Cap
Chikamin, Rainier, Burntboot and Thompson from Iron Cap
Chikamin, Rainier, Burntboot and Thompson from Iron Cap
MFK Valley from Iron Cap
MFK Valley from Iron Cap
Otter Ridge to Bonnie from Iron Cap
Otter Ridge to Bonnie from Iron Cap
Otter Ridge to Glacier Peak from Iron Cap
Otter Ridge to Glacier Peak from Iron Cap
Tanks and Hinman from Iron Cap
Tanks and Hinman from Iron Cap
Tom on Iron Cap
Tom on Iron Cap
Bonnie, Tom and Tank Plateau
Bonnie, Tom and Tank Plateau
Otter Lake from Iron Cap
Otter Lake from Iron Cap
As we descended back to Iron Cap lake BPJ's camera was still DOA. It was a hot day we had contemplated taking a dive in the lake despite the icy cold water. While I was poking along and taking pictures from above I noticed BPJ making a beeline for the lake. Before I knew it clothes were off and I just had enough time to point the camera in the right general direction and capture a posterior suspended in mid air above the glassy surface. Soon thereafter I partook of the same cool relief. After drying off and checking out the glacier polished inlet on the other end of the lake, camera-less BPJ was not in the mood to hang around much longer and wait for the shadows to lift off the lake for a good picture. We returned to Chetwoot to find a party of three salivating over our campsite, delighted to know it would soon be vacated as we packed up and headed for Angeline.
Returning to Iron Cap
Returning to Iron Cap
Posterior Joe at Iron Cap
Posterior Joe at Iron Cap
Sunglass Joe at Ironcap
Sunglass Joe at Ironcap
Silty Iron Cap Lake
Silty Iron Cap Lake
Iron Cap Inflow
Iron Cap Inflow
Leaving Iron Cap Lake
Leaving Iron Cap Lake
Camera Went in the Drink Joe
Camera Went in the Drink Joe
Angeline and Campsite
Angeline and Campsite
Returning to Chetwoot
Returning to Chetwoot
Upon reaching Angeline we were amazed at how low the water level was, as evidenced by a water ring taller than either of us. We rafted beneath the steep cliffs of the western shore to our campsite surprised to find the jetty extending a good 20' further than normal due to the low water level. I tried my hand at fishing while BPJ dived for garbage in the lake which produced steel Olympia beer cans, Gaz fuel cannisters, and acid leaking Ray-o-vac batteries. I wasn't having much luck fishing so we decided to lighten up our packs for the trip home and cook a couple freeze dried meals before it got dark. After a satisfying dinner I decided to give the fishing another try and was rewarded with a beautiful 12" cutthroat. My mouth began to water as I envisioned him frying in butter in my cake pan only to have him slip out of my hands and tumble back into the lake. bawl.gif I took no chances on the next two that came my way, using MtnGoat's patented dinner retention technique. Needless to say, we went to bed very satisfied.
Angeline from Camp at Sunset
Angeline from Camp at Sunset
The next morning BPJ rustled me out of my cozy hammock at 8 AM eager to get going, leaving a cup of steaming hot chocolate (which would only grow colder by the minute) as added incentive. I have to admit, I feel sorry for tarp/tent folks who sleep on the ground when it can be avoided, so sad. <grin> After a bagel and a few pictures we were all packed up and rafting along the lake toward one of the oddest outlets I've ever seen, hidden beneath a dense logjam and flowing beneath talus. After packing our rafts we worked our way up huh.gif the steep outlet down talus on the other side and eventually up steep heather slopes leading to the ridge trail between Chetwoot and Big Heart Lake. Several hours later, after a refreshing dip in Copper Lake, we were back at the Foss Lakes trailhead, exhausted and ready for milkshakes at Zekes.
Angeline from Camp in Morning
Angeline from Camp in Morning
Angeline from Rising Logjam Outlet
Angeline from Rising Logjam Outlet
Delta and Trout from Above
Delta and Trout from Above
Descending to Big Heart
Descending to Big Heart
Big Heart from Outlet
Big Heart from Outlet
Leaving Big Heart
Leaving Big Heart
Malachite Peak
Malachite Peak
Copper Lake
Copper Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:10 pm 
Starjumper and I were near you Tom and BPJ - We came up Necklace valley, up to the tanks, Chain, La Bon lakes and pass, Froen and that other funny sounding lake similar to "tank". It was certainly hot in the high rocky outcropping, clouds feel good to the skin right now. Timing couldn't have been better, hiking out the last sunny day before the weather change !

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:48 pm 
Another report for this area! rolleyes.gif A great report aside from the fishing talk. Seems like you've covered this area pretty well, good job. We did the same trip last year in a day, but didn't raft Otter becuase we wanted to "bag" St. Agnes Ridge which is a fine summit indeed. Working around the west side of Otter is fairly easy travel and not as bad as the east shore. BPJ didn't buy that Pilar did Iron Cap in 5 hours? Why not? If you just keep moving those miles go buy pretty fast. I think we were on Iron Cap in 5 or 6 hours (Mike might know better) using the route you guys did, but without the cheater rafts. lol.gif Oh yeah, no $10 for you. You didn't stick to the *requirements. * Ask Sore Foot

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:49 pm 
Thomas pretty much said it all, and well. My camera still doesn't work so off to Cannon it goes. The trip was spectacular. Tom was a challenge to keep up with. My crappy lung capacity and my belly didn't help out any either! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif I thank Thomas Jefferson Davenport for inviting me along. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:52 pm 
Quote:
Oh yeah, no $10 for you. You didn't stick to the *requirements.
Another wilderness bounty? When I was at Ingalls, I did scan the bottom as best I could for the dome, but could not see it. It wasn't warm enough for me to want to jump in and swim.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:57 pm 
polarbear wrote:
It wasn't warm enough for me to want to jump in and swim.
Now there's something you don't hear a Polarbear say every day!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 7:32 pm 
Great trip report, Tom! Wish I could have been with you two...sounds like you had a great time. Sounds like you're definitely getting your Foss Creek fill for the year...you've pretty much covered most of the major routes in that area in just the last 2-3 weeks alone. wink.gif BTW - The shot from the top of Iron Cap was stellar...I'll have to make that sidetrip as well someday.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
cheakamus

cheakamus
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 9:39 pm 
Hi Tom, I enjoyed meeting you and BPJ on the trail just before (going our way) Big Heart on Saturday morning. Thanks for the fishing advice! I also enjoyed your trip report, but the following disturbed me:
Quote:
Before heading back to camp I headed over to the outlet, shocked to note some idiot(s) had defaced the large boulders with red spray paint - perhaps related to the people who took a dump 3 feet from the campsite, leaving the ground littered with TP.
I spent Saturday afternoon rambling along the ridge between Big Heart and Angeline before heading up to the little tarn overlooking Chetwoot (great spot for a warm swim!) At the very top of the ridge between Big Heart and Angeline, and overlooking Big Heart, someone has painted in large letters in red paint "Jesus (heart) you/ENSY/8/30/03" (actually, I'm not sure I've remembered the four letters correctly--it could have been ESNY, or something very similar, and appeared to be an acronym). I hate to think of this happening all over the place. It reminds me of years ago when people left messages like "Jesus Saves" on just about every tree in the woods. Despite the message, to me it is a sacriledge! Anyway, I stopped at the ranger station today on the way out, but of course, they're closed on weekends, so I wondered if it's worth reporting? Can graffitti at the top of a mountain be removed? Do we just wait until it wears off? Does anyone have any idea who ENSY, or ESNY, or whatever, is? It'd be nice to think that this kind of vandalism could be nipped in the bud! John

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 10:12 pm 
As far as the graffiti, the party of 3 we met at Chetwoot offered some insights on that. Apparently there was a group of Russians drinking heavily and shooting guns the year before who they think were responsible for it (no offense to anyone who might be Russian, drinks heavily, likes to shoot guns, or sprays graffiti, er legally). The person who gave us the info occasionally frequents this forum, so maybe he will chime in with more gory specifics and/or correct anything I've misconveyed.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 12:26 am 
I think the original challenge was $10 to the first person to make it to Otter. I just said it should only count if it can be done in one day. However, sans-raft makes sense to me...so, first person who makes it to Otter, in one day, without wussmobiling across Delta...will get $10 bucks from Randy. biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 12:40 am 
Talk is cheap now. Show me something posted before this TR and subsequent to Randy's original offer you Delta Lake brush pansy. biggrin.gif Next thing I know I'll have to hike up there buck naked to collect. lol.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 6:32 am 
The graffiti was really HORRIBLE! Man, I feel like going back up there to scrub those three rocks. I'm going to call the Skykomish ranger station today and tell them about it. Maybe they don't know. Doubtful but maybe. I picked up a spent 9mm casing at Angeline too. Bastards. I have to say the worst thing that I've ever taken from a lake I did at Angeline, a D cell battery. It looked to be leaking acid too. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 7:50 am 
I was in Necklace Valley those same dates. I went to Tank Lakes on Thursday and went out where I could see Otter Lake but did not see you guys. I visited some of the lakes in Necklace Valley on Friday and it was a great day for swimming. I met a guy Friday evening at Opal Lake that came over from Little Chetwoot. The hike out Saturday was warm.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:07 am 
Quote:
Talk is cheap now. Show me something posted before this TR and subsequent to Randy's original offer you Delta Lake brush pansy.
All of the sudden ol' Tom is talking a whole mess of trash after making it into a few lakes winksmile.gif Anyway, you DON'T get the money regardless. McFarnell beat you up there, so even under my original constraints you're still not a winner. lol.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:16 am 
Wooly, was this guy say 40ish, brown hair, 5'10" with an old blue internal frame pack? We met him at trout and he was asking about the route over from the FOss. TB