Forum Index > Trip Reports > Foss Lakes Loop (9/3 - 9/6/03)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:22 am 
BPJ, there was also the guy at Azure asking about how to get over to the Necklace. 50ish, gray hair, can't remember what kind of pack he was carrying.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:29 am 
The guy I met I think had an external frame pack, a wooden handled ice axe and a fishing pole but he said he had forgotten his reel. He was maybe in his 50's.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:31 am 
Wooly, Did we see you up near tank lakes or in the Necklace valley ? We were in the valley on Monday and Tuesday, went up to the North Tank lake on Wednesday and Thursday and Friday on Opal lake. Two guys one tall with a blue REI pack and me with a teal pack. DROCK

reststep

reststep
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:43 am 
Drock, That is funny somehow we must have missed each other. I was at South Tank Lake on Thursday but did not see anyone. Due to misreading of the map I did not make it to North Tank dang. Did you find any reading glasses up there? I lost mine. It makes it tough to read the map. I was camped at Opal Lake Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Where were you camped? Were you at the camp spot over between Opal and Cloudy? I thought I might have heard voices. I was camped in some kind race track for rodents. I could hear them running by the tent all night. They left my gear alone so that was good. Some animal did manage to chew a hole in my Ursack however.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:50 am 
The guy Tom and I saw at Trout had a wooden handled ice axe too. How many of those things are out there anymore? Ya, 50ish I guess. OLD blue pack. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:55 am 
BPJ, Must be the same guy. The wooden handled ice axe caught my eye right away. You are right you don't see many of those anymore.

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 10:17 am 
Wooly, Yes, we were camped on the land wedge between Opal and Cloudy lake on Friday, were you solo ? DROCK

reststep

reststep
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 1:15 pm 
Drock, Yes I was solo. I left Opal Lake Saturday morning a little before 7:00 am and am glad I did because it really got warm later in the day. Was that your Trooper I parked next to? It was there when I started Wednesday and was still there when I got back on Saturday.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 1:52 pm 
Tom wrote:
Talk is cheap now. Show me something posted before this TR and subsequent to Randy's original offer you Delta Lake brush pansy. biggrin.gif
Whoa there Tommy boy. YOU'RE the one who scooted across the lake, remember? Who's the pansy again? Hmm? guns.gif Hey, I still want those CF cards if you still have them...

Galadriel

Galadriel
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 3:24 pm 
Wooly, was that you I talked with Saturday at the bridge crossing before heading up to Necklace lakes? The man told me about the rodents in the night around his tent ...and told me I should stay for more than one night. He was right. I camped at Ilswoot-no rodents there. Rain torrents and boulders crashing in the night tho. Menacing dogs at Emerald.

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:05 am 
Wooly, no, our car was the older, red SUV, Sunrunner I think. Rockey

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:24 am 
Well, that was one great trip Tom took me on. I recomend it to anyone. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:45 am 
Hi Galadriel, I was the person you saw at the bridge. It was nice talking with you. Sounds like the weather really changed Saturday. Yikes, I hope the rocks were falling on the other side of the lake. How was the weather on Sunday?

Galadriel

Galadriel
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 2:00 pm 
Wooly, actually the weather came in early Sunday morning, and yes, the crashing boulders were on the other side of the lake. The mountain gods were furious, I was scared. Sunday at 7 AM it was still showery, but soon after that the rain stopped. It's lovely up there even in the mist and gloom. It was good to meet you, too.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:24 pm 
Tom wrote:
Talk is cheap now. Show me something posted before this TR and subsequent to Randy's original offer you Delta Lake brush pansy. biggrin.gif Next thing I know I'll have to hike up there buck naked to collect. lol.gif
How about a new challenge then? Since you're so into lakes I've got a couple trips I've done in the past that would have you admitting that you're a brush pansy too! $10 for the Rainy/Nine Hour combo in a day. $15 for the "Nazanne Dual Drainage Loop" in a day . $20 for Avalanche Lake via Burnboot Creek (even though I never made it). hihi.gif Offer expires 5/31/04. Video proof required. You must split your winnings with your partner(s).