Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > NFS Middle Fork Plan - Which Alternative?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 26, 2003 3:45 pm 
Okay people, what is the plan on this road? Anybody have any insights? Will they gate it or not? Will they improve the road to Dingford or NOT?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 26, 2003 5:16 pm 
As of now you can drive to the end. Ah-la Dutch Miller Gap trailhead. Unless there has been some good snow that last few days. Frankly I hope they DONT gate it. If they do I'm going to try and get a key! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 9:13 am 
I received an email from Doug Schrenk this morning in regards to this issue. This is what he said: "The Forest Service is still working on the Decision document. But, we are getting close." TB, I need to get one of those "universal" keys. You know, one of those loppers that can cut rebar--they unlock every padlock. wink.gif

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 5:50 pm 
Roger that one Stefan. If they are going to close the bastard, then it should be closed to EVERYONE! If they are going to allow SOME people in there then all people should be allowed in there! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 12:29 pm 
Middle Fork Road
In my humble opinion unless you have driven the Middle Fork Road you are missing one of the best Cascade treats there is. Half the fun hiking the Dutch Miller Gap-Williams Lake trail IS the drive up that wonderful road. One of the many times I have been up there there was a 196? Volkswagen Microbus parked at the trailhead eek.gif huh.gif Thats one trailhead I don't worry about thefts.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Damian

Damian
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 11:03 pm 
Lead dog. What did the microbus look like? I made that trip in my 64 VW bus many times.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 12:28 pm 
Micro Bus
It's been quite awile but I think it was green & white. I was driving a 72 Nova and about lost my trannie and oil pan. I went as far as I could, parked on a wide spot, and hitched to the trailhead with a miner in an old beat-up Landcruser. Damian if that was your Micro bus at the trailhead my hats off to you! up.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 12:32 pm 
Those buggers had some good ground clearence. That and the weight of the engine on the rear wheels! TB

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 2:12 pm 
Middle Fork Road
What do you all say to a timed race from the Taylor River bridge to the trailhead at the roadend? Like the race up Pikes Peak! Backpacker Joe would have to be the Grand Marshal. If he competed we would"t have a chance!

Damian

Damian
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 2:52 pm 
BPJ- yes the ground clearance was great. Contributing to this were the 15 inch wheels and bullet proof rear transaxle assy architecture that included reduction gears to get the power down to the wheels. They abandoned them in 68 (with cv joints?) so only the old ones had em. I believe only the Hummer has that type of arrangement anymore. I routinely took it places where only 4wd vehicles roamed. I still have a soft spot in my head for those old vans.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 5:40 pm 
We had a 1968 Westfalia camper. Had a 1776 kit with dual webbers too. This baby had a factory limited slip, and an iterior heater that fed off of the tank. She went many places. The H1 (not the H2) hummers and all Mercedes Benz Unimogs use portal axle arrangements too. TB

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 6:53 pm 
I would do it if you could be SURE there wasnt anyone on the road. Basically you're road rallying the Middle Fork! Otherwise that's to dangerous and irresponcible. Set it up on a weekday. Drive the road first, then do it. TB

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 4:48 pm 
BPJ That's a great idea! Meeting someone on that road would be trouble.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 4:57 pm 
Well, Ive driven it so much to know there would be little room for a mistake. You'd HAVE to know that there wasnt anyone on the road before you made your speed run up the road! TB