Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rachel Lake - Alta Mt - 9/6/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:35 am 
We had a nice hike up to Rachel Lake and Alta Mt. on Saturday. It was the last day of sun for awhile and the conditions were very pleasant. The trail to Rachel was dustier than I have ever seen it. Nothing a little rain won't cure. The bugs are nearly all gone. It was unusual but nice to sit by the lake and not be swatting bugs. The hike to Alta is a great ridge to run. The trail is on or near the ridge top most of the way. Fall colors are just starting and should improve greatly in a few weeks. Great views of Hibox, Three Queens, Chikamin, Thompson, Red, Snoqalmie, and Kendall Peaks to name a few. Alaska Lake is right across the vallley and Rampart Lakes are visible from the summit. Berries were a big disappointment. The usually abundant fields on the upper ridge were barren this year. Met a group of about 18 heading up to Lila Lakes. They didn't seem to know or care about camping limits. Others were camping at Rampart Lakes. All in all it was a great day. Totals were about 12 miles and 3600' gained. As usual I have photos posted at my site: Rachel Lake and Alta Mt

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Odonata

Odonata
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:55 am 
Hey Jim, I was up there this weekend too. I dont think I saw you. The berries were indeed in poor shape. I did not see one above Rachel lk. It was a strange weekend of confusion for some folks up there. I meet one party at the larger Rampart lk looking for Alta Mt., they went the wrong way on the ridge. Then on the way out, there was a lady that was hiking towards the car, asking "how far to the lake?" Didn't really know what to say... I visited Lila on Sunday morning, no sign of the big group. Pretty much everyone bolted with the rain showers. On sunday, saw only one other party of 2 on the ridge above Rachel/Alta Mt.

JimK

JimK
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 10:06 am 
Yes it was strange. We met a lost group heading towards Lila. They went from Rachel to Rampart Lakes and missed the turnoff coming back. It's hard to miss that one.