Forum Index > Trail Talk > Why do people kick steps in glissade paths? - Why?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ridgerunner

ridgerunner
PostTue May 28, 2002 6:52 am 
admin note: some of the initial posts have disappeared due to a glitch in the software (sorry) Common courtesy: don't ruin the uphill steps. This includes glissading or plungestepping down them. It's like stepping aside (whether you are going uphill or down) when meeting someone on the trail. Or being aware someone faster would like to pass. Or keeping relatively quiet in the wilderness. Anyway, even in obscure locations that may not be visited in weeks, I try not to wreck the uphill steps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostTue May 28, 2002 7:51 am 
All depends on where you are doesn't it? If the slope is 100 yards wide, then its easy to stay out of the glissade path. But if you are in a narrow gulley then maybe it isn't so easy for everyone. On the other hand, I've seen steps going up and down the glissade path on Pilchuck. Probably people that just don't know any better.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 28, 2002 8:57 am 
It definitely has to do with boot purchase on the snow. The bum has smashed down the snow whereas on the side of the glissade you are more prone to a "plunge" step. I will go up glissade paths only if I know nobody is above me, becuase I will come down the glissade path and make it smooth again with my big arse.

Art is an adventure.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 28, 2002 10:57 am 
I'm wondering just what a "gaper" is. Is this some new derogatory for people not as sophisticated as the self styled purists who fancy themselves arbiters of mountain hipness? I've seen this term here and there lately, and been wondering about it's specifics. I'm not directing this question at any one person, only mentioning it because Scott did. dizzy.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 28, 2002 12:31 pm 
Righto mtngoat man on the "gaper" definition. Don't you have gapers watching you catch fish? Gapers like to watch my arse move back and forth! I am a Cascade elitist snob!

Art is an adventure.
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostTue May 28, 2002 12:37 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I'm wondering just what a "gaper" is. Is this some new derogatory for people not as sophisticated as the self styled purists who fancy themselves arbiters of mountain hipness? I've seen this term here and there lately, and been wondering about it's specifics. I'm not directing this question at any one person, only mentioning it because Scott did. dizzy.gif
Gaper: Someone acting way above their skill level, and being obnoxious about it. It is not really a beginner or a flatlander, but could even be a basic mountaineer graduate (like they are all knowing?) that acts like they know all, even though they are wrong. A wanker, poser, etc

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue May 28, 2002 6:26 pm 
Not a bad word. Wonder what the etymology is. Now that I know it I'll have to try it out on some unsuspecting person. Speaking of being a gaper---I was telling my mom about these incredible wool socks I have that you just toss in the washing machine and they don't shrink (even if you are a guy washing them). Now this lady rarely goes hiking, and still has the same boots she got at JC Penneys for $20 in 1970. But not missing a beat she says "Oh, that sounds like Smartwool." Hey, that's my line. #$%@^^& I guess my poser and gaper traits have been exposed. waah.gif mad.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostTue May 28, 2002 7:11 pm 

Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostThu May 30, 2002 9:18 pm 
A gaper is someone so in awe of the scenery that they stand transfixed with their mouth agape. I was first one when I started working at Crystal Mountain in 1970 on a clear blue April day. We had to walk about a mile from where we slept to the day lodge where we worked, and it was so bright, beautiful and glorious that all I could do was gape. It later became a term of derision used for those who were new to the scene.

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!