Forum Index > Trail Talk > 6 Dead on Volcanoes: - Rainier & Hood
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu May 30, 2002 1:36 pm 
Not Good Volcano News: 3 dead out of 4 on Mt. Rainier, 3 out 7 dead on Mt. Hood.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu May 30, 2002 2:36 pm 
Rescue Chopper Crashes on Oregon's Mt. Hood Thu May 30, 5:18 PM ET PORTLAND, Ore. (Reuters) - A National Guard helicopter trying to rescue six survivors of a deadly climbing accident crashed into Oregon's 11,237 foot Mt. Hood on Thursday and tumbled onto a glacier. The fate of those aboard the helicopter was not immediately known. The scene was shown live on local television with a stunned announcer saying, "Oh, if only this was a movie." Rescuers in National Guard Black Hawk helicopters had been lowered to an icy crevasse where nine climbers had fallen as they approached the summit. Three of those climbers were killed and the other six injured. Local station KGW-TV reported that crews equipped with oxygen tanks, life support and specialized climbing gear were moving toward the scene in tractors and said that rescue crews were concerned because rising temperatures threatened the stability of the icy surface. The station reported that the climbers fell on Thursday morning as they were about 800 feet from the summit of Mt. Hood, which is about 50 miles east of Portland, Oregon.

salish

salish
PostThu May 30, 2002 3:48 pm 
So far, as of 3:45pm Thursday, NWCN TV is reporting "at least one crew member critically injured" in the crash. Let's hope it stays that way....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Sfk Guy

Sfk Guy
PostThu May 30, 2002 4:06 pm 
I heard 4 in the climbing party on Hood were killed?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu May 30, 2002 10:05 pm 
I've been listening to the radio off and on today while working, and not exactly sure how many died on Hood at this point, guess I'll watch the 11:00 News. A tragic day for those all involved and a sad day for mountaineering that's for sure.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com